Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

If people actually did always lift with their legs, why are we always having to be reminded to 'lift with your legs'? Strengthening your lower back is beneficial for a variety of reasons.
    I meant that both workouts are mainly in your upper legs and biceps. And dead lifts are easy i want a challenge. They are the most dangerous work out that you can do if you pop your lower back your done. Plus there is way safer ways to work your lower back and more efficient.

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

And I give you the description from bb.com

Barbell Deadlift
    Exercise Data
    Type: Strength
    Main Muscle Worked: Lower Back
    Other Muscles: Calves, Forearms, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lats, Middle Back, Quadriceps, Traps
    Equipment: Barbell
    Mechanics Type: Compound
    Level: Intermediate
    Sport: Yes
    Force: Pull

Don't see biceps anywhere there - do you?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

If people actually did always lift with their legs, why are we always having to be reminded to 'lift with your legs'? Strengthening your lower back is beneficial for a variety of reasons.
    I meant that both workouts are mainly in your upper legs and biceps. And dead lifts are easy i want a challenge. They are the most dangerous work out that you can do if you pop your lower back your done. Plus there is way safer ways to work your lower back and more efficient.

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

I don't HAVE to look it up brah, I've got a screw and button in my radial tuberosity, and a nasty little scar running up the inside of my right arm as a result of engaging my biceps when trying to deadlift something I shouldn't have.

On second thought...I think it's best you DON'T do deadlifts. Because however it is you've learned to do them, you ARE going to seriously injure yourself.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

Biceps act as a stabilizing muscle in a deadlift however are not used in an active engagement at all unless done drastically wrong. In a properly done dead lift the arms are completely extended and relaxed. Bicep tendon tears tend to happen on either improper form (actively putting tension into the arms to perform the lift), excessively high weight for the lifter, and many times using thicker than standard olympic bars.

It happens rarely even when using mixed grip, and only if the bicep is actively contracted while the hand is supinated.

Look it up.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts did 305lbs for 3 reps last week. I also love squats, but have knee issues so my limit is 195lbs so far.

http://www.thedeadlift.com/deadlifting/deadlifting-tips-and-tricks/
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are definitely great. I had a messed up hamstring and then suffered a disc protrusion last year which really jacked me up for a while. I've actually come back stronger this time around. I make sure to do a lot of hamstring and lower back work now.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    They. Are. AWESOME. Hack squats are pretty damn awesome, too.

54593991_640.jpg
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

Deadlifts are mainly in your quads, hips, and lower back, supported by like every other muscle group in your body. The bicep is not a MAIN driver of the deadlift.
  • chris1816
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

Deadlifts are mainly in your quads, hips, and lower back, supported by like every other muscle group in your body. The bicep is not a MAIN driver of the deadlift.

It's actually not a driver at all. In a properly done deadlift the majority of your major arm muscles are completely relaxed.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

Are none of you going to address the assertion that squats are also a bicep exercise? lol.
  • chris1816
    Options

Biceps?

Seriously??
    look it up brah.

Are none of you going to address the assertion that squats are also a bicep exercise? lol.

Does anyone really need to?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Yeah, you're right.
  • chris1816
    Options

Yeah, you're right.

It happens.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    OMG can y'all quit hijacking this damn thread!!! It was SOOO coooooool until someone mentioned some BS about biceps. This is a deadlift forum. UGH!

1268d1272567160-your-thoughts-hardgainers-godzilla-facepalm-godzilla-facepalm-face-palm-epic-fail-demotivational-poster-1245384435.jpg
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well thank you all for playing tonight's round of "Troll, or Just Stupid?". Join us again next time when we discuss the affect that shoe color has on calorie burn during dart playing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well thank you all for playing tonight's round of "Troll, or Just Stupid?". Join us again next time when we discuss the affect that shoe color has on calorie burn during dart playing.

This made me laugh out loud with a pretty good snort. I visualize a very 1970's game show set for this "Troll, or Just Stupid?" phenomenon that'll be sweeping the nation any day now...and I always burn more calories when I wear my neon shoes.
  • chris1816
    Options
    I'm just waiting for that one kid to come back from his furious Googling to try and prove me wrong.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

This made me laugh out loud with a pretty good snort. I visualize a very 1970's game show set for this "Troll, or Just Stupid?" phenomenon that'll be sweeping the nation any day now...and I always burn more calories when I wear my neon shoes.

I use wrestling shoes. I figure if it works for deadlifts, it should work even better for darts.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I'm just waiting for that one kid to come back from his furious Googling to try and prove me wrong.

Furious Googling. Love it.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    I use wrestling shoes. I figure if it works for deadlifts, it should work even better for darts.

Oh...awesome, I always wanted a pair or wrestling shoes, hadn't thought about picking up a pair since I became a grown up.