Freakin Deadlifts

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I use wrestling shoes. I figure if it works for deadlifts, it should work even better for darts.

Oh...awesome, I always wanted a pair or wrestling shoes, hadn't thought about picking up a pair since I became a grown up.

Hey, I was serious!! I lift in wrestling shoes lol.

Besides, they're oh so stylish...that gives me a 2x burn on my calories out regardless.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I love it, seen this kid in two threads now - one where he idolizes that d-bag Zyzz, now this.

URDOINITWRONG_logo4.jpg
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    350lbs is awesome!! I'm at a grip limited 275lbs right now. Picking up some chalk before deadlift day (Mondays!) and going to try it that way.

Awesome stuff man, seriously.

What about mixed grip mate? I bet you can pick up 300+ with mixed grip no problem....

I've been a little nervous about the mixed grip lol, only because I just had my right lower biceps tendon repaired in February (I deadlifted a motorcycle with one arm...long story). I've been considering keeping my right hand in a normal grip, and switching my left hand though.

Actually...I'll give it a go Monday :).

I use mix grip as well.. I strained my back a few months ago at work and laid off deadlifts. My 2nd week back to doing them again got up 335 x 4
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I'm just waiting for that one kid to come back from his furious Googling to try and prove me wrong.

Furious Googling. Love it.

Aha...now I get the slang!!

'Brah'...

Fast and Furious Googling!

I knew I recongized that kid from somewhere.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    350lbs is awesome!! I'm at a grip limited 275lbs right now. Picking up some chalk before deadlift day (Mondays!) and going to try it that way.

Awesome stuff man, seriously.

What about mixed grip mate? I bet you can pick up 300+ with mixed grip no problem....

I've been a little nervous about the mixed grip lol, only because I just had my right lower biceps tendon repaired in February (I deadlifted a motorcycle with one arm...long story). I've been considering keeping my right hand in a normal grip, and switching my left hand though.

Actually...I'll give it a go Monday :).

I use mix grip as well.. I strained my back a few months ago at work and laid off deadlifts. My 2nd week back to doing them again got up 335 x 4

Freakin awesome...I can't wait to try this out lol.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I've never not used mixed grip, considering the arm muscles are not involved at all I found it more stable for grip and pointless to do any other way.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Also love deadlifts. I try to use overhand as much as possible, but have to used mixed to finish my first working set at least. Currently at 8x250 at 139 lbs body weight, which makes me feel like a badass.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    A guy goes to bed early and misses all this fun. Damn.

I have found that deadlifting in my Vibram Five Fingers has improved my dart game dramatically.

After reading "that one dude's" posts I'm going to start doing 5 sets of 30 curls as an assistance exercise for squats.

Now that I know deadlifts are dangerous and can KILL YOU I feel like even more of a bad moderator edit
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY! When I first did the 45lb plates (total 135 still by no means a heavy weight) I felt as if I had conquered a new land and staked it out as mine alone. LOVE LOVE LOVE Deadlifts and Stronglifts
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Y'all are having a grand old time. They just make me lose my hearing for a short time.
    I had to stop at a low weight due to a back injury, but started DL again about a month ago.
    Stuck at 240, but I think I've had awful form... going to hit them again tonight.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Did some last night!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dead lifts are my favorite too!!! if you can video yourself doing them, do it. the form is easy to get wrong.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are pointless do something more important like squats. you lift with your legs anyway!

i lol'd
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I use a mixed grip and find the bar in the gym with the heaviest knurls and and wrap one layer of tape around the pad of my palms.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I use wrestling shoes. I figure if it works for deadlifts, it should work even better for darts.

Oh...awesome, I always wanted a pair or wrestling shoes, hadn't thought about picking up a pair since I became a grown up.

Hey, I was serious!! I lift in wrestling shoes lol.

Besides, they're oh so stylish...that gives me a 2x burn on my calories out regardless.

I was totally serious too! When I was in high school I thought all of the wrestlers were hot and I loved their shoes and always wanted a pair and my (super cheap) mom always said no because I didn't "need" them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I was totally serious too! When I was in high school I thought all of the wrestlers were hot and I loved their shoes and always wanted a pair and my (super cheap) mom always said no because I didn't "need" them.

I was of the understanding that girls don't have to have a "need" for more shoes or purses. A simple "want" is all that is required and then they get them.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did these last night for the first time and clearly did them wrong. I tweaked a muscle in my lower back and now I'm scared of them. I'm not sure as a woman starting out how much weight to start with on dead lifts, any advice?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I did these last night for the first time and clearly did them wrong. I tweaked a muscle in my lower back and now I'm scared of them. I'm not sure as a woman starting out how much weight to start with on dead lifts, any advice?

Start with the bar...for however long it takes to get your form nailed. You don't need to be lifting weight until you can do it properly :).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Check out Mark Rippetoe's videos on YouTube - they are about the best ones out there explaining proper form.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Start with the bar...for however long it takes to get your form nailed. You don't need to be lifting weight until you can do it properly :).

Thank you, I'm going to take this advice.