30 Day Shred Challenge

Options
123457»

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the DVD today. I have a question - it seems you are supposed to do this workout every day. I thought you were supposed to skip a day (for rest) between strength training workouts. Does Jillian explain this in the video? Am I not understanding the concept? I have other strength training DVDs and they always say to do it every other day.

I've seen this question before, and the answers vary. Supposedly it is supposed to be done for 30 consecutive days, but like you point out, muscles need a day of recovery. Someone mentioned somewhere that she has a 30 day shred book, which points that out, so.... I dunno?

I did day 1 yesterday and HOLY COW - I don't know if my body will even be wiling to do it on consecutive days. It didn't feel bad yesterday but my thighs are screaming today every time i stand up. I feel it in my arms too. Are you interested in starting a new thread for shredders? So we can form a group of people who are starting now?

Generally speaking, the "strength training every other day" rule of thumb is for guys doing a routine to build muscle mass. In that program a guy will do a small number of repetitions with massive, massive amounts of weight. Literally - "if you get to 8 reps, add 5 pounds". And only a few sets. This kind of exercise literally makes tiny tears in the muscle fiber that heal bigger than the original muscle. Healing the tears takes time, hence the "recovery day" guideline.

Jill's "strength training" is a different deal. It's higher repetition/lighter weight work that shouldn't cause the mass-building tears. It will make you stronger through toning and conditioning, but it shouldn't lead to a lot of tearing, so the heal time doesn't need to be as long.

My $.o2, YMMV.