Grammar police! Your clothes get LOOSE when you LOSE weight.

Options

Replies

• muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options
    oh ya and one more thing..

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, olny taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pcleas. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by ilstef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to correct another persons grammar ? Is it a superiority thing ?
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to correct another persons grammar ? Is it a superiority thing ?

It's a kindness. When they correct you, you can stop looking like an idiot and use the proper word/spelling. You should thank them.

ETA: general "you"
  • cassiepv
    Options
    Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen if you want to be kind :)
  • muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options

lmao...^^^^^^
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I always correct my real life friends if they continually make a mistake that makes them look ignorant. They are smart, beautiful people and they should sound like it. I do it with love and not in a way that says "I'm better than you!". And those same friends have told me when I make a mistake and I'm grateful to them.

People are just a little meaner on the internet. Take the advice and forget the negativity that came with it.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

Kindness takes various forms. You can volunteer time, resources or knowledge. I find parting knowledge is more valuable than the others but that's just me. :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have accepted that THERE are TOO many people on this site to even know WHERE to start with the corrections. You're doomed to insanity if you even try. There is one word that keeps popping up on posts. I have never heard this word. It is "prolly". I can only assume that it is the dumbed down version of probably. Sad.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I can only assume that it is the dumbed down version of probably. Sad.

Your prolly write.
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    what drives me insane is the way some english as from England spell. I could sit here all day corrcting their grammar, it just does my head in. Pity i don't get paid for corrrecting grammar mistakes. lol.

I am shocked by your ignorance.

I do believe English is spelled with a capital "e" every time. It's not like earth, which can be "earth" if you're talking about the soil or "Earth" if you're talking about the planet. Additionally, "some english" doesn't express a complete thought. Does this mean the language? The people?

Second, before you criticize people for their grammar, the first person pronoun is "I" not "i" and sentences should begin with capital letters.

Third, where does the English language come from, if not from England?

You just rocked my world a little bit! :love:

I just love telling people that my bad grammar is because I speak English not American, since most of them haven't been there I can get away with so much :smile:

I am from the UK and if you did your research you would find that almost all of the words we "spell wrong" are only wrong because America didn't pick up on the words correctly when created.Personally I don't give a toss if you spell it color or colour but if you think your in the right complaining about people from the country where the English language originates from then you get a giant face-palm.

I too am English, as in from England and I second the above post. I couldn't have written it better myself!

May I suggest that you look up Noah Webster (1758-1843). His first dictionary was available to the American market in 1806. It contained the variations of the English spelling of some words that are used today. There was some movement to "simplify" these words in the UK at the time as well, but it wasn't popular. So both the American and English spelling of certain words (i.e colour/color, programme/program) are correct. The history is interesting. Personally I think everyone makes mistakes when they're typing and it doesn't really matter. Life is too short!
  • beachlover317
    Options
    I can only assume that it is the dumbed down version of probably. Sad.

Your prolly write.

OMG - you made me snort my water out my nose!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHH, drives me completely crazy! Thanks for this post, I hope lot's of people see this! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Unfortunately, the only people reading this post - are the ones who do not need to read the post. Such is life!
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    LOL I'm guilty of being a 'grammar police', but I can't help it! Only with people I am comfortable with, though. Unless it's just a simple word that NO ONE should be allowed to get it wrong! Teenagers, for example, have no respect for it; So I don't bother correcting them (sometimes) LOL
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

Kindness takes various forms. You can volunteer time, resources or knowledge. I find parting knowledge is more valuable than the others but that's just me. :)

Wouldn't that be "imparting" knowledge ? ;)
  • beachlover317
    Options

Maybe it's the good knowledge from the bad knowledge!
  • cassiepv
    Options

:)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ohhhh I thought my clothes get lost when my weight gets loose. Thanks for clearing that up. This time it will stick for sure.

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulatcly uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Azanmig hhu? Yaeh, and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Some people are concerned with technology, science, etc. Some people are concerned with the arrangement of letters. Go figure.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I just saw this topic: "Afraid of lose skin."

I'd be afraid to lose skin. Or afraid of loose skin. But that's just me!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    ... that younger people are lazy.....

Isn't that a criticism from every generation about the next?

... or more efficient.