Honest answers only

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Because it's just not natural and don't tell me you're born that way, you choose to be gay, period. I am anti LGBT everything

so what you are telling me is you were gay and you chose not to be, and that's how you know it's a choice, because that is the only way you could possibly know that being gay is a choice, period.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    Doug T...I think she ment she would delete them if they were gay..Not their genes...You were WAY off base. :)

thank you..oh the days when you couldn't just delete freinds. You had to face them.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    For Christians, the Bible is our foundation, whether or not non-Christians agree with that. So yes, there are some people who are against it only because it's in the Bible.
    "It's in the Bible" is not a complete answer. There are many, many Christians who do not believe the Bible forbids healthy same-sex relationships. If the Bible is your only answer, you need to think about why you interpret it that way.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Welcome to 2012
  • stockholmhasago
    Options
    Because it's just not natural and don't tell me you're born that way, you choose to be gay, period. I am anti LGBT everything

Because you woke up one day, hit puberty, and had a check list of which gender you'd be attracted to, right?
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I took this statement off of a friend's status update and would really like some answers. I'm not trying to start a war but am interested to see what people will say..so here goes; "If you are anti-gay I want to know why, other than, "it's in the Bible"?

it can also harm the norm of a family where a child is raised by either two men or two women... the amount of abuse that child could receive is unfair, and it is hard for any child to not have a balance of having both a mom and a dad... just an honest answer.

im not "anti-gay" i just dont think they should adopt children or get "married"... just call it like civil union or something else and have the same benefits as straight married couples

I was with a woman for 14 years during this time I raised the most brilliant and well rounded daughter anyone could ask for. I am now with a man and we have a son, I don't believe his life will be any better or more normal then my daughters upbringing was.
  • dougt333
    Options
    The funny thing about "it's in the Bible" is, Jesus never even said anything about it. It IS in the Bible... in the Old Testament, which Jesus later said to completely ignore. Like, literally... Jesus was like "Hey forget all about that." The anti-gay stuff is in leviticus, which also bans tattoos, polyester, and some seafood. But I don't see any of these people marching around protesting outside a tattoo bar...

And as far as "it's unnatural," homosexuality is found in thousands of species in the natural world.

There is literally no valid argument against it.

Romans (new testament) is extremely against it, however. It's a case of God's view towards backbiters (actual word used in Romans) and not an instruction to be anti-gay and go around whining about it.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It really has to do with what's important to you morally. Please please watch these TED talks. Jonathan Haidt is a social psychologist who studies morality. He's absolutely brilliant and an incredible speaker. He's found that liberals and conservatives have fundamental differences in how they view the moral world. This provides a really great explanation of why the religious right is so anti-gay and why liberals are not. Please don't religion or gay bash.

TED Talk 1
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind.html

TED Talk 2
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_humanity_s_stairway_to_self_transcendence.html
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Actually, that is incorrect. Homosexuality and bisexuality occurs in nature in over 1500 different species.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't turn into a war....

If you are anti - everything - thats your choice and thats how you believe and very strong minded, doesn't make them a bad person for feeling that way - as long as not the type of person to bully another ..

However we are in a weight forum.. and the topic of your reply was 'you wasnt born that way'

How was we all born? was we born fat? skinny? addicted to food?

I believe in life we make choices to suit who we are,

think of fancying the opposite sex to you theres things you like and dont like, somw guys like curvy women, some men like very slim women all different shapes and sizes, some people fancy another race from themselfs etc.
    what about if your 'type' just isnt the opposite sex? you can't help who you fall in love with.

I had a very straight friend, and her and her best female friends had loads in common, got on brilliantly and after broken relationships they stuck by eachother and they fell in love! it happens :)

Love makes world go round gotta love :D x
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    People who use the bible to say Gays are wrong make me laugh. I am a very strong christian, with a great relationship with God. MY church tells us NOT to use the Bible to pass judgement on others. And NOT to use the bible as a basis for HATE and INTOLERANCE. The main theme of that book is LOVE. Don't use it as a foundation to judge others for something you know nothing about and that isn't one bit of your business. That being said, I love anyone, straight, gay, purple, whatever. I will also raise my son to have this same love for people. And you bet your *kitten* if he turns out to be gay, his father and I will be walking him down the aisle and marching with him in parades :)
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I took this statement off of a friend's status update and would really like some answers. I'm not trying to start a war but am interested to see what people will say..so here goes; "If you are anti-gay I want to know why, other than, "it's in the Bible"?

it can also harm the norm of a family where a child is raised by either two men or two women... the amount of abuse that child could receive is unfair, and it is hard for any child to not have a balance of having both a mom and a dad... just an honest answer.

I was going to stay out of this topic because I accept that you just cannot change a persons mind, especially on a forum, but this comment made my knee jerk so hard I practically gave myself a black eye. There is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to prove that a child of a gay couple is more susceptible to abuse than a child of a straight couple. And as someone who has, briefly, worked in the child care field I can tell you that I saw PLENTY of straight people abusing their children.

Also, let's remember that any old straight couple could have a kid: a single one night stand and oops! She's pregnant and he's pissed and she knows her parents will kick her out if she comes home with a baby so now there's a child born into this world who gets left in a box at a fire station. Meanwhile, that gay couple who has been together for 17 years has put in another application to adopt and has been denied.

I'm not saying that ALL straight couples are bad parents and that ALL gay couples are good parents. What I'm saying is: there are good and bad parents of ALL orientations and being a good parent has nothing to do with what you do in the bedroom and EVERYTHING to do with how you treat your children.

Also, the 'balance' idea is complete BS. This is 2012, there are plenty of good, well-adjusted kids being raised in single-parent households nowadays (raises hand) and if one woman can do it by herself, then 2 men or 2 women can do just as good a job.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    People are anti-gay because a religious book written by people many centuries ago tells them it is an abomination, and people will find ANY reason to hate someone who is different than they are.

That same book also tells you not to judge others, and to treat them as you would have yourself be treated.

^ This. I'm not anti-gay. If that's what people want to do, well then it's their life and how is it that ANYONE else has the right to say who any individual should be with. Unfortunately I don't think many people understand the concept of " treat others the way you would want to be treated"
    I think alot of it has to do with the way we are raised as well. But we can change that. My parents are HUGE on being with the same sex is SOOO wrong. I thought that too for awhile. Then I stopped and thought about it. I don't have a problem with it at alll.
  • Berto0391
    Berto0391 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I think people are scared of what they don't understand.

This...it goes over their heads...me Idc...don't affect me at all.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options

So tell me, when did you choose to be straight?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

im not "anti-gay" i just dont think they should adopt children or get "married"... just call it like civil union or something else and have the same benefits as straight married couples

I was with a woman for 14 years during this time I raised the most brilliant and well rounded daughter anyone could ask for. I am now with a man and we have a son, I don't believe his life will be any better or more normal then my daughters upbringing was.

i can tell you this... there was a kid i knew growing up where his father had a sex change into a woman, and this kid was definately thrown into a social group solely because he didnt have a dad and two moms.. kids see things that arent the norm and are abusive to each other even at a young age.
  • dougt333
    Options
    People who use the bible to say Gays are wrong make me laugh. I am a very strong christian, with a great relationship with God. MY church tells us NOT to use the Bible to pass judgement on others. And NOT to use the bible as a basis for HATE and INTOLERANCE. The main theme of that book is LOVE. Don't use it as a foundation to judge others for something you know nothing about and that isn't one bit of your business. That being said, I love anyone, straight, gay, purple, whatever. I will also raise my son to have this same love for people. And you bet your *kitten* if he turns out to be gay, his father and I will be walking him down the aisle and marching with him in parades :)

good stuff. Hey God gave them freedom, why take it away.
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I dont consider myself anti-gay I have several friends who are gay who I have hung out with by myself or with my family but with that being said I dont agree with the marriage of same sex couples.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options

I was going to stay out of this topic because I accept that you just cannot change a persons mind, especially on a forum, but this comment made my knee jerk so hard I practically gave myself a black eye. There is NO EVIDENCE whatsoever to prove that a child of a gay couple is more susceptible to abuse than a child of a straight couple. And as someone who has, briefly, worked in the child care field I can tell you that I saw PLENTY of straight people abusing their children.

Also, let's remember that any old straight couple could have a kid: a single one night stand and oops! She's pregnant and he's pissed and she knows her parents will kick her out if she comes home with a baby so now there's a child born into this world who gets left in a box at a fire station. Meanwhile, that gay couple who has been together for 17 years has put in another application to adopt and has been denied.

I'm not saying that ALL straight couples are bad parents and that ALL gay couples are good parents. What I'm saying is: there are good and bad parents of ALL orientations and being a good parent has nothing to do with what you do in the bedroom and EVERYTHING to do with how you treat your children.

Also, the 'balance' idea is complete BS. This is 2012, there are plenty of good, well-adjusted kids being raised in single-parent households nowadays (raises hand) and if one woman can do it by herself, then 2 men or 2 women can do just as good a job.

^ Exactly this.
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    i dont care for sex, age, color, nationality, or anything like that!

Only personality
This discussion has been closed.