Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm new to this site, and excited to get fit and lose weight after my hypothyroid diagnosis. I'm 50, married for 29 years, and have 4 daughters and 2 granddaughters. Thanks for this thread!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their positive comments on my 40 lbs. gone.

I could never have made it this far without the support and communication from everyone on this thread.

Barbiecat, you said 40 looks good on my ticker. Well 59 looks pretty good on yours!!:flowerforyou:

I had a tiring afternoon, running errands and picking up and delivering things for my parents. Thank goodness I don't have to get up at "oh dark thirty" anymore to go to work. My biggest challenge of the morning will be to get Mai Li to the vets for a checkup on her ears. They are still there, but the goal is to make sure the infection is NOT!!:laugh: I don't have to be at work til 1p. :drinker:

I also did something else signficant today. I went to the jewelry store and had two links removed from my expandable watch band, as it was flopping on my arm like a dead fish!! I was only going to have one link removed, but the person who helped me convinced me to get 2 taken out and it is just right.:bigsmile:

Have a good week everyone:flowerforyou: ... I will keep reading, even if I can't post til later in the week.

Barb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I just uploaded three pictures from the trail that I walk on. The one you can see is the deer by the side of the trail..If you go to my profile you can see the picture of the deer on the trail (far away) and a picture of one of the trestle bridges. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi anyone,
    It's 11:00 at night California time. I just got home from my writers group. I had a pretty good day food wise, at least for me. I got on the scale this morning and I am up to 260.2 again from 252. I am so sick of myself. I have the worse metabolism. If I don't starve at 1100 calories I gain.

I'm sorry but I just don't kn ow which program to do that is doable. I mean I feel really great on the Food Addicts Annys diet. But it is so strict that I fall off. I do great on WW but then when I eat a carb, I am a gonner. I prayed this morning and I ask God to guide me.

I ate 2 eggs for breakfast, 1 ounce oatmeal, one apple
    Lunch was 4 ounces chicken breast and a WW smart one frozen dinner.
    Dinner was a burger king whopper/no cheese and a diet soda.

For me that was great. But not a diet. My diets are always, salad, meat, and hot veggie. No wonder I fall off. Well, I will take any help. Thank you in advance. I read all your posts and they do help. thanks, kc
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    KC,
    I have been exactly where you are now. I dont know why but all of a sudden something inside of me changed. I now know that I am not on a diet. I am on a life plan. I am not doing this until I lose weight and then go back to old ways. i am doing this for the rest of my life. If I cheat or slip that is fine I just get right back on track. I cant explain why it is different this time but it is. I believe you really have to change your mindset to do this. You can do it. Just dont give up. We are here for you. Hope this helps.
    Vicki M
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You all inspire me.
    I'm almost back to where I was in January, :mad:
    darned beer!:drinker:

Goals for the rest of October.

Journal food and exercise every day.
    Stay within weekly calorie max.
    10,000 steps per day.
    20 min YOU workout 3 times a week.

mtx,
    bk
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: KC,
    I, too, have been there and still slip back to those ideas every now and then. I try to "be good" so I'll lose. I get upset with myself when I don't. I've come to the conclusion with Vicki that this is a mindset change as well as a life change. Even though I feel differently about losing weight this time than ever before, I still slip. It is so important to just get back on track than to ditch the whole thing. I've recently gained back 6 pounds and I really can tell the difference. I've been enjoying more freedom of movement and just feeling better in general, but that 6 pounds has drug me down somewhat. I don't want to be back where I was, ever again! You can do what you need to do and we are all here for you!:flowerforyou:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    I have a prayer request for you ladies if you dont mind. I just found out that my 55 yr. old first cousin has some type of cancer. she meets with oncologist on Friday to determine treatment. She has three children and a grandchild. She lives in Auburn, AL. Please put her on your prayer list. I know prayer works and I am trying to get these prayers out as far across world as possible. Thank you ladies. Her name is Donna.
    Vicki M
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I want to chime in on the sharing about a new mind set. My friend in FA (another food addicts program like OA) refers to things like birthday cake as "not my food". My friend who has been abstinent in OA for 20 years sees her eating plan as a normal routine like brushing her teeth and bathing. I made the decision to entertain myself in ways that don't include food. Today when I have a really great exercise day, my extra snack is peanut butter with wasa oat crackers. The longer I stay away from sugar and white flour and chips and stuff, the less I am attracted to them. The more I exercise, the more I like it.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I will be sending positive thoughts about your cousin, Donna. There are so many great treatments available today.

If someone with cancer could arrest their disease by eating 1200-1400 nutrition dense calories per day they'd do it in a minute. For me, obesity is as life threatening as cancer, and following a healthy eating and exercising plan is the treatment that will arrest it as long as I stay faithful to the plan.

Have a great day----hugs--:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    KC,
    I have been exactly where you are now. I dont know why but all of a sudden something inside of me changed. I now know that I am not on a diet. I am on a life plan. I am not doing this until I lose weight and then go back to old ways. i am doing this for the rest of my life. If I cheat or slip that is fine I just get right back on track. I cant explain why it is different this time but it is. I believe you really have to change your mindset to do this. You can do it. Just dont give up. We are here for you. Hope this helps.
    Vicki M

KC--Vickie said it as well as I could, and Barbiecat also makes some excellent points. I have lost on Atkins, and other plans, but when you don't look upon it as a permanent change, the pounds seem to find you and jump back on. As of yesterday, it is 6 months for me, and I lost 40 lbs. in that time. That is not recordsetting, BUT the difference is they are not lost, I truly believe they are permanently GONE, History...Adios...FOREVER.:drinker: :drinker:

I haven't had a problem with carb binging until I had way more than normal "questionable carbs" pizza crust, bagels, and for a day there, I was in "Binge City" but I did two days of water, mostly veggies and some fruit and I feel back to normal and in control and evickting 2 lbs. that came back, and two more that hadn't previously left gives me a good feeling as well.

Also, your statement about gaining if you eat more than 1100 calories just means you have to start doing lots of cardio to get your metabolism moving so you can eat more.

Good luck and don't give up the ship!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone:flowerforyou:

Made it to the gym today. Only did and hour on the treadmill and burned 350 calories. Still trying.

I had my protien drink and a salad for lunch.

Making a beef stew for dinner.

So, doing fine not at the top of my game yet, but I'm in the right direction.

Keep at it.

:heart: Kathy
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It's raining. And my calf muscle is still bothering me. I think I'll do something inside at the gym instead of my usual track workout. Which is at an open space preserve this week so it will not just be wet but muddy. When I ran on Sunday, it really hurt my calf and my knee so I need to something else or it will be hosed for my race this Sunday.

The only problem with this plan is that it has a high chance of being blown off. Which is why I'm talking about it here.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: This might be might 'take it easy" day. I slept late and had a friend visiting all morning. Now the wind is howling and there's rain in the forecast. I'll take the dogs to the dog park and walk them several times at home, but otherwise, I'll be indoors. I may do the exercise bike and "sweatin' to the oldies" but who knows? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Barbie
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just want to say I love reading your posts and I see myself in SO MANY of them. This time feels different for me as well as Vicki M said.

I was feeling a little off my game for this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Today I took time to reflect in my journal writing and I think I figured out what was wrong. Somehow, and very insidiously I might add, my focus changed from "What good choices am I going to make for myself today?" to "How much am I going to lose this week?", or even worse "How much can I lose before mid-November?" I realized that I was letting myself get caught in the self-competition game which, for me, usually only leads to disappointment and self-incriminations as I somehow always manage to, eventually, fail to meet that goal I set. So, for today it was back to turning the problem over to God and trying to be quiet enough to hear him when he is directing me. For today, I can do anything! In fact, I can do all things through him who gives me strength.

I changed up my exercise a bit this morning as well, ramping up the effort just a bit. Felt GOOD!!

Have a great rest of the day...and thanks for being here.

Terri
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi Terri; I was glad to see you reflecting on what was going on. One of the things I've prayed about lately is that I not turn to food as a source of comfort. Christ told us he would send us the "Comforter" to help us and I don't think he meant food. I'm really trying to understand the choices I am making.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Terri, thanks for what you shared. I have no control over how much weight I lose. I have some control over my attitude and my actions and if I keep them in check, then the weight will come off. I can decide to say no to birthday cake, to take a walk, to reward myself with a nap or a book or a phone call to a friend, or new dish towels instead of a food treat. I can start my day with prayer and meditation.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi All,

KC don’t give up we have all gone up and down a bit.:blushing: Food isn’t our enemy we just have to change the way we use it:blushing: . I agree with Vicki this is a new way of life. Take it one day at a time log on daily and enter everything you eat and all your exercise. Have you been checked out by a Dr. to make sure you have no thyroid issues? After that just evaluate what works for you. Weight loss is hard at our age but it is possible we have to not give up and readjust our thinking and keep on one day at a time! You can do it we all believe in you!!!:love::love:

Vicki I will put Donna on my prayer list. :flowerforyou:

Best wishes to you all,
    Lynn
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Evening all, went to the doctor today with my hubby and boy was it good for my ego:laugh: The receptionist didn't recognize me at first :noway: she couldn't believe how much weight I had lost. You know of course I had to tell her all about MFP and how to log on. And when the doctor came out she told me I looked great. It really made me feel good.:smile:
    :heart: To those ladie who are new and struggling, I'm telling you there are days when all I can think about is food. Most of the time now, since I started this journey with MFP, I'm thinking about eating the right things, chicken packets, veggie stir fry, fruits, vegetables and all those yummy Lean Cuisine. Then there are days when all I can think about is pizza, tacos, fried chicken, chinese buffet and cheese steak subs. I still eat those things in moderation (when I don't backslide) and keep within my calories (most of the time) I just exercise more. I imagine if I didn't eat the things I shouldn't and did the extra exercising I would really lose the weight:happy:
    Then again maybe over indulging once in awhile keeps my Metabolism going in the right direction LOL LOL LOL:laugh: I think I need to go to bed early I'm getting a little slap happy.
    :heart: Special prayers out for Donna. May god bless and watch over you. May he lay his healing hand upon you. May he keep you and give you strength. To all of our MFP family I give thanks to God for you and pray he blesses you and your families. Vicki stay strong we are here for you. Good Night, Rosemary
  • sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hi everyone, I had a great but busy day today....hope all had a great one aswell....just finished watching the Biggest Looser....and did lunges and squats during commercials... did 43 min of Turbo Jam after work.....turned the alarm off this am....just could not drag myself up....hew!! hew!! tomorrow i will get myself up...i feel so much better when i get my am workout in....

Lyn i loved what you said in your post.......about food not being the enemy.....it is how we use it......what a neat way to say how it is.....

Have a great rest of the night...

LInda
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Today was along day that began at 3:30 this morning. Despite fog, 4 flights, and a different time zone, I still managed to get to my friend's by late afternoon. Such a sweetheart. When we got to her house she insisted I prop my feet up and placed a warmed chamomile wrap around my neck and shoulders, handed me a glass of ice water and put on some soothing music. I was not allowed to do anything until she had our evening meal ready. Tomorrow we'll sleep in, hit the gym and then get a massage. She is down 4 sizes and looks amazing! I told her I was going to start calling her "Tiny."

Airport food is not conducive to my new way of eating.. The Cinnabons looked and smelled wonderful, but I didn't allow myself to do anything more than inhale their aroma. I'm happy to be able to report I started my vacation off right. Even having to grab quickie airport food with no chance to exercise, I was able to stay under my calories for today and drink my water. Thanks mostly to the wonderful low carb meal she made tonight. Maybe I'll learn some new recipes and tricks while I am here this week.

Goodnight ladies. I'm about ready to turn into a :yawn: pumpkin.