Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good evening all! I just got home from a busy day of work, and bell choir and choir practices at church. I think it is the dreary weather that is making some of us kind of on the down side. Good news here, the sun is supposed to be out tomorrow! How about where you are? Here's praying that we all get up to a sunny day tomorrow, whether or not the weather cooperates. Here's to smart choices!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hello Ellen,
    It's always nice to see a new face. All of you are getting very dear to me. I read your posts and pray you are doing well.

I did great today and then went and ate a candy bar. I do this only in the aftenoons. I get really stressed when the kids come home. Homework, dinner to cook. Eating sugar with diabetes does not help. It also makes me so depressed I want to cry.

So, I don't have anymore answers than I did yesterday. I am having great days. I am taking time to pray, read my Bible and then work on my book. I am actually having great days. I even avoided my constant phonecalls from a certain person who only wants me to do stuff for her.

Eegads, I do sound rather cranky. Sorry.

Barbie- you sound so happy and free of this weight. I so wish I was there. But tomorrow is another day and I will keep trying.

Hey!!! It's getting winter and I was wondering if any of you have an exercise machine that you have at home that you like and can recommend. Thanks, kc
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    219594.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Okay, I am BACK!!! I got off track last week but I am committed to finishing strong for the remainder of the month.
    My goals will continue to be:
    Drink 8 glasses of water daily
    Record my food intake
    Cardio 4-5 times/week - Incorporate the rowing and new cardio routine
    Weights 2-3 times a week
    I am going to revise my weight loss goal to 2 pounds this month.
    STAY FOCUSED regardless of the challenges this month with relationships, school and work!
    *******UPDATE******
    Vickie, I read your post - that stay focused piece really stuck with me.
    That's the area that I tend to have challenges in.
    Today, I decided not to do anything but stay home. Limit my phone calls and do those things that will help me stay focused for the week coming up.
    So far, i have my beans in the crock pot and will make my brown rice and granola bars for the week.
    Continue to clean my house and drink water.
    I love this site and the support I am receiving. Believe you me, reading everyone's posts really does help!!!
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, I am back on track.
    I am losing again, but I would like to lose four pounds for the remainder of the month----even thought I said two.
    Plan on doing cardio tomorrow and tracking my intake.
    Lot's of water, water water.
    Did weights today for about an hour.
    Got to stay focused!
    :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses: :glasses:

219594.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Morning All:flowerforyou:

I'm feeling a little better today. Last night I had to fight off over eating and made it.:happy:

I will get to the gym again today.

:heart: Kathy
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I did great today and then went and ate a candy bar. I do this only in the aftenoons. I get really stressed when the kids come home. Homework, dinner to cook. Eating sugar with diabetes does not help. It also makes me so depressed I want to cry.

So, I don't have anymore answers than I did yesterday. I am having great days. I am taking time to pray, read my Bible and then work on my book. I am actually having great days. I even avoided my constant phone calls from a certain person who only wants me to do stuff for her.

Eegads, I do sound rather cranky. Sorry.

A suggestion for you: Next time, instead of a candy bar try taking a walk and/or Godiva Dark Chocolate Pearls ~ only 24 calories per serving. They satisfy my chocolate cravings without all the calories and carbs of a regular candy bar.

If that doesn't work for you, try this recipe: It has about 150 calories per muffin and is so moist you'll never miss the eggs or oil. Most candy bars are well over 300.

Makes 12 cupcakes and is already listed in the MFP food database as chocolate cake w pumpkin. I keep them in my freezer for such a time as this.

INGREDIENTS
    1 (18.25 ounce) package any flavor cake mix
    1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin OR unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup water

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan or muffin tins with Pam. In a large bowl, mix together the canned pumpkin/applesauce and water. Add cake mix. Stir until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and serve, or store in the refrigerator, or freezer. This tastes even better the next day. :tongue: I use apple sauce with light cakes and pumpkin with chocolate or spice.

:flowerforyou:

TODAY I am stiff from using muscles I forgot about. My girl friend is a member at LA Fitness and got me a visitor's pass. Our workout yesterday made me want to try to find one closer to home. I LOVED IT! We don't have anything like that in our dusty little town, but I'm hoping the next big city 45 miles away does. I can see myself finding a way to get there twice a week, which is the only days I do strength training anyway.

I tried on my first ever pair of skinny jeans yesterday. Although I still have 2 more sizes to lose to get to where I want to be, its great to finally be ale to wear a belt again without feeling like I have a beer belly. Speaking of bellies, the October issue of Women's Health magazine says "Women suffering from depression 24.5 % more belly fat than those who aren't depressed." No wonder I couldn't lose for so long! :noway:

Today we are heading to the gym for some cardio then off to the mall for a day of shopping. Now I need boots to go with the skinny jeans! :smile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Makes 12 cupcakes and is already listed inteh MFP food database.

What is the recipe name? And I need the baking instructions please.

Cindy
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    What is the recipe name? And I need the baking instructions please.

Cindy

:drinker: See above. I edited my post to answer your questions.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Fall break is over, so back to routine. I will bring the girls to preschool and then head to the gym. I went yesterday evening for over and hour. Had a great workout. Cant decide whether to weigh in tomorrow or wait until next Friday. I am curious but do better when I weigh less often. We are supposed to get cool weather this weekend. Cant wait. It is so hot here for October. Even for us. Hope it is not a warm winter. Hate those. We are counting the days until November. We are taking two granddaughters to Branson Friday after Thanksgiving. It will be lots of fun. Susie it sounds like you are having so much fun. To have a friend who shares in your weight loss journey is great. My friend and I used to work out together. We did it for nearly two years. Now we are both so busy we cant get it together. Barbie glad Jake is home. I know you and doggies are so excited. Have a great day ladies. Keep on moving, eat right and drink that water.
    Vicki M
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies

Its snowing here today Too soon for my liking.

I did make it to the wellness centre last night - Yay me!! I could have easily gone home and crashed after the day I had at work but I worked for and extra hour and a half and went straight to the 7: 00 meeting without passing go:laugh:
    It is a great place. Smaller than the other gyms in town and women only and decorated to by peaceful and serene. The meeting I sat in on last night was a weight loss support group led by a certified Nutrition and Fitness trainer. They were discussing body composition so I got to hve a bio-electrical test that prints out your weight, BMI , body fat mass etc. Me no likey their scale:grumble: I just told myself it was 8:30 at night and I had on really heavy pants:laugh: I already knew the meanings on the print out from my own research and from learning on this site, but I am motivated to improve those numbers. I think the support would be good and the weekly meetings and weighins would be beneficial for accountability.
    I have decided to go for it but it bits at a time. Each thing offered (gym, fitness classes, weight loss support, yoga, personal trainer, life coaching, belly dancing, salsa cardio) has its own cost associated with it so I have to mind what I'm doing or it will be cost prohibitive. So I've decided to join the gym for one month and hire a PT for two sessions. This will tell me if I'm going to commit to going and also if my body can handle it. Now I just have to figure out what to wear for work out clothes.

Boy I'm long-winded today!

Take care

Heather
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well I used my new treadmill yesterday for an hour. Walked over 3 miles and burned 300 calories. Did good on my eating all day until we went to a concert last night. I still didn't eat that much and was under my calorie limit until I decided to have 3 Seabreezes. :drinker: :drinker:

Yeehaa !! they were good and I was feeling it too !! Ended up with about 350 too many calories for the day. But hey, I don't drink on a regular basis. My husband took the day off and we went to Nashville to see the Allman Bros. Spent the night so I considered it a mini vacation and gave myself a treat. I weigh in tomorrow. Hope I haven't done too bad this week. It was the first time I've put on a pair of jeans since earlier in the summer. They were a little tight.......very depressing. They fit perfect last year .:sad: :sad:
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Good to hear from you, Barbie, you are so close to your goal. What an inspiration.
    KC Hi, I see you are from California? I have GRANDkids there. Love it. I'm from straight north, in BC.
    Good to be back and start to catch up with you all.
    Even with the ups and downs of daily life and eating everyone seems to be doing very well. I am encouraged too. Am eating moderately but no particular diet. Seems to work better than the really strict food programs, just cut back the amount of food.
    We are warmed up again, sunshine today tho' all the flowers froze hard.
    Talk soon.
    Ellen
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    When I go to someone's profile and it says you can make comments, How do I do this? Does anyone know.
    Thanks,
    Vicki M
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Happy Thursday night to all.

In case anyone noticed that my ticker jumped from 22 to 28 pounds lost the reason is: I started counting my calories and exercising two and a half weeks before I found and joined this web site on July 17. Consequently since I had already lost 6 pounds, I had to mentally add 6 pounds to my ticker to figure my actual weight loss. Since I wanted my ticker to reflect my actual loss, I just edited my beginning weight here to reflect my beginning weight as of July 1 when I started. Silly I know, but it makes me happy.:happy:

Something else that really makes me happy is that I am only 2 pounds away from my 30 pound reward. This time I am choosing to reward myself with a whirlpool bath (a luxury I rarely take time for) and a quiet morning of reading time when I've got the house all to myself.

Suzee-Q -- Thanks for the cupcake recipe you posted for Cindy...it looks delicious and I am anxious to try them. I like to keep treats individually wrapped in the freezer for two reasons. 1 - I know where to find them when I really want a dessert. 2 - I only go there when I know I have enough calories left over for the day to be able to "afford" one. Basically it just keeps me honest!

Have a great night all and kudos to all of you hard working dedicated ladies for healthy choices and exercise!! Terri
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    When I go to someone's profile and it says you can make comments, How do I do this? Does anyone know.
    Thanks,
    Vicki M

Vickie ... I sent you a message from your profile page to see if that would come up as a comment....
    answer is no it did not. Next I clicked on someone's blog and made a comment...nope, that only shows up as a comment on their blog. I noticed that someone called "mshotknicks" posted a comment on someone's profile page...so hopefully she will read your post... or she started the "10 Pounds At A Time Challenge" found listed under the motivation and support link. You could probably e-mail her and ask her or just click on the the tech/support button that appears at the top of Frequently Asked Questions page that pops up when you click on the help button at the very top of the page.

Sorry I couldn't figure it out. Terri
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    I think that if you want to post a comment you must first be friends.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello and Wow!

I did read all the post since the last time I posted and took notes and then.................................the ADHD one (teenage son) in my life bounced by several times and now I can't figure out the wonderful note taking system I had. lol

To all those new - welcome!
    To those who have lost weight - congradulations
    To those brave souls resisting temptation and staying on track in difficult situations- I admire your strength.

The only note that still makes sense is the one from KC questioning what kind of diet to be on. I've tried them all looking for a shortcut, but it seems that calorie counting is the only thing that matters. If you eat more calories than you need you will gain. If you eat less than you need you will loose. The trick is to figure out how many calories you really do need for our gender and ages.

Have a great day!

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Hi everybody,
    It is so great to have Jake home again. He played golf and I danced this morning then we had the afternoon just to hang around together.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I've been reading your posts and posting my food and exercise and staying focused. I think I'm close enough to my goal to be wearing the size clothes I plan to stay in forever. I bought a down vest and thought that would enough outerwear for awhile and then it got colder and when I put on my wool coat it was gigantic. A catalog came in the mail with a big sale on the same kind of coat so I ordered a new one. Today is was cold enough for a wool coat so I wore the giant one to the dog park. I can hardly wait for the new one to get here.

:flowerforyou: Zaza, it's good to hear from you again. I've been wondering how you were doing. It's never too late to jump back on the wagon. It took me until I was 62 years old to get back on the wagon and stay there. I hope this time is the one that works for you for good. traveling and eating in restaurants will be a challenge. Enjoy your travels.

:flowerforyou: Alice I like your thinking about gaining health. That's been the most miraculous thing for us. Jake and I both have so much more energy and zest for life as we've gone along this weight loss journey.

:flowerforyou: Barb, we are very fortunate here to be in the rainshadow of the Olympic Mountains and when it's pouring everywhere else, it's clear and dry here. We've had rain this week, but not like what you have or what they have in Seattle.

:flowerforyou: Sheilajane, I'm glad you're enjoying your treadmill. I had one a few years ago and loved it. Now we have a stationery bike in the living room facing the TV and I use it a lot.

:flowerforyou: Kathy, keep up the good work. you can do it one day at a time.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: mamacindy, I'll be thinking good thoughts for your mammogram followup.

:flowerforyou: Heather, you are amazing how many things you juggle. Keep on keeping on and you'll put together a plan that will work for you. Take baby steps and don't sign up for everything at the wellness centre. Slow and steady wins the race

:flowerforyou: kc, keep looking for something better to eat when the kids come home. I found that the longer I don't eat sugar, the less i even think about it.

:flowerforyou: Suzzzque, your vacation with your friend sounds heavenly

:flowerforyou: Terri, I did the same thing you did, after I joined MFP I decided to add on the weight I'd already lost, at first it seemed odd, but in time it was natural that my ticker reflected my whole weight loss journey. keep up the good work

Thanks :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: to all of you who post such encouraging messages. And hugs:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: to those of you who are experiencing health and personal challenges.
    Barbie
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Good evening Ladies,
    :smile: Welcome Back Ellen, ZaZa and Fabulocity. I missed hearing from you all.
    :tongue: Suezzzque those cupcakes sound delish. I think I will make them this weekend
    :wink: Barbie so happy for you that your hubby is home safe. Enjoy his homecoming.
    :glasses: It has been raining all day :sad: so I didn’t get to take my walk and now my son is watching
    t.v. in my exercise room ie the living room.:noway: So I guess there is no exercising for me tonight. :brokenheart:
    I guess I will double up tomorrow.:bigsmile:
    My daughter doesn't have on demand anymore so I'm not going to be able to do Cardioke any more:cry: I asked my son in-law to hook up the VHS player and I'm going to do "Sweatin to the Oldies" instead. I bought three of them at the flea market for a buck apiece.
    :yawn: I have been up since 4:30 this morning. I am getting sleepy and I am freezing so I think I will go cuddle under the down quilt and go to sleep. Everyone have a safe, warm and dry evening. Hugs to all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,522 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barb!

Your dogs are so cute had to show off my Dixie too! Will add Robby soon.

Have been off track and off line for months, trying to re-start.

Yesterday fell back into old bad habits, skipped lunch and lunchwalk, worked late, beer and a half.
    Exceeded calories, barely made half my steps.

Today worked too much and skipped walk again, but kept the overcalorie count a little lower.

Leave for Memphis 2 weeks on biz Sunday. Hope the work is less intense and can squeeze in that daily walk, it really helps with both the stress and the cals.

You are all so inspiring! Don't stop! ;)