Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: weaklink...I began using a mineral makeup about three weeks ago. I don't think that my wrinkles show up anymore than before.:laugh: I have actually noticed that my skin looks better even without the makeup on. I think that it is doing something good for my skin. You do know that you get more wrinkles with weight lose, don't you? Sad, by true. When you lose fat your skin wrinkles more. Sigh, we just can't win.:mad:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Did well today yeah!! Birdie thanks so much for the encouragement and the prayers are needed at this time.:happy:

Vickie I have had that happen too thinking I looked good then in a picture I felt I looked so fat. That is discouraging for sure.:cry:

Heather congrats on joining a gym I am a member of two one for ladies only and then one that has really good equipment with no frills so the price is cheap. I do boot camp 3 days a week and love it you burn a ton of calories and your body will change quickly.

Weaklink what a funny story sounds like she made you up for Halloween.

Have a great evening,
    Lynn
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,004 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: I've been busy and not posting, just reading. This thread keeps getting better.
    Vicki, I think size 10 was the first time I didn't cry in the fitting room at the store. The first photo of myself that i liked enough to show anybody was in size 8 jeans so I guess that fits in with what's been said about looking fatter in photos. Now that your husband has reached his goal, it should be easier to get down to weighing less than he does.:bigsmile: Add my vote to those who are asking for a picture of you in your "little black dress"

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, thanks for the article about dieting and cheating. that sounds like what's been happening to me as a build an eating plan a little at a time. I'm not looking at reaching my goal as a green light to go back to eating the way I did before MFP and all of you.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Becky, it is so good to see you back here again. You have been such a support and inspiration to me. I hope you'll find a way to get more computer time. Your exercise routine is impressive.

:flowerforyou: Terri, congrats on your success at the football party.

:flowerforyou: Lynn, I know how hard it is to have your husband away for awhile. I hope all goes well for you.

:flowerforyou: mamacindy, congratulations on your weight loss and on your pushups.

:flowerforyou: Heather (Benson) your gym sounds wonderful The gym where I live is expensive and all the classes cost extra so I've avoided joining. I worked out at a gym when I was in my 30's and went faithfully three days a week and loved it. I hope you enjoy your gym a lot.

:flowerforyou: Barb, once again your stories had me howling----how many calories do you burn while laughing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We spent yesterday with our friend who is divorcing while her soon to be ex-husband came with a truck to pick up his share of the furniture and belongings. We were there for moral support. Fortunately it didn't rain so he was able to fill his hug U-Haul truck twice with no water damage to anything.

I made a fabulous, but high calorie lunch of matzo ball soup. the soup was frozen from when I made it in the winter and I made the matzo balls this morning. I took a long walk this morning and rode the exercise bike extra long to make sure I had enough calories.

Best wishes for good sleep, pleasant dreams, and a better tomorrow
    hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Now for some really fun calorie burning. My girlfriend and I are heading to Ohiopyle to spend the day hiking in the woods. :happy:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :happy: A make up lesson for all!!
    I worked for Mary Kay and Estee Lauder off and on since I was 20 yrs old and because I always had skin problems as a teenager, I got very involved and knowledgeable over the years dealing with skin care and makeup.

:ohwell: Because I have no skin color and without makeup everyone thinks I’m very ill,:frown: I choose to wear it and love it! :flowerforyou: They call it “high profile” makeup which means foundation, blush, eye, lips etc in deeper tones (How you wear it makes an enormous difference. In fact my mother in law thinks I don’t wear makeup at all. That’s a good sign!):laugh: :laugh:

HOWEVER…I had many clients over the years who preferred what we called “natural” or “low profile” makeup. A touch of mascara, very soft brows, very little blush and earth tone lipsticks or lip gloss. The foundation they usually like was very light weight. (It wouldn’t cover up pimples or dark circles etc. but would just give your skin a slight uniformed look or glow.)

Make up applied like this, basically just gives a little definition to your features but doesn’t shout “make up”!!

To violate another’s choice is totally inappropriate as, I agree with Vicky, we are there to serve you. We can, and I have, made some recommendations, HOWEVER, if the person doesn’t seem interested, you never insist on something they are not comfortable with. On the other hand, some of my clients insisted on something that looked horrible on them, e.g. tan foundation when they have light skin!! :noway: :noway: Their neck is white, their face is brown!!! :noway: :noway: But again, after recommendations NOT to wear such shades, if they insist… I had to sell it to them! :frown:

I am comfortable in makeup, others are not. There is no right or wrong here. It’s important to do what is comfortable for you!:flowerforyou:

WHAT IS IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE TO DO IS TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN (from unnecessary damage) WHETHER IT’S WITH MAKEUP OR SKIN CRÈME. It doesn’t have to be expensive just make sure it has sufficient SPF and antioxidants. (antioxidants protect the surface of your face the way lemon juice protects the surface of a peeled apple) They don’t stop you from aging they just protect your skin from the damaging free radicals which many believe damages the surface of your skin.

Getting back to makeup.

There are a few things to know about makeup that might be helpful if you are interested in getting some.

#1. Determine if your skin has “cool” or “warm” tones.
    A cool base has blue tones for its base. If you were buying lipstick (e.g. Mauve, Raspberry etc.) and a warm base has yellow tones (e.g. Copper, Rust or peach).

#2. Determining your tone can be done with samples of foundation, so it’s better to do it at a counter where you can sample the shades.
    Ask for a cool shade and a warm shade.
    Put a little of each on the inside of your wrist. Even if it’s not the right darkness, one will change dramatically more than the other. The one that blends with you skin the most, is your base tone.

:angry: I went for years thinking I was a cool tone because I was so light and ended up getting colors that made me look like a clown, like Porcelain when all the time I was “warm” and should have been wearing a Linen foundation.

When you put foundation on it should blend with your neck (without putting any on your neck). If you put it on your face (whether it’s powder or liquid) and look in a mirror, and your face is a different shade than your neck:noway: :noway: …you have the wrong shade. It’s that simple.:wink:

#3. :huh: Eyebrows are tough as, for me, I found it hard to get use to pencils. They seem too dark & definitive (maybe because I had black hair and used black or dark brown). So I use a cheap Maybelline Soft Eye Brow. :flowerforyou: It’s a powder with a small angled brush. You can technically use (with an angled brush) a lighter eye shadow in a natural tone like gray, tan, brown etc as long as it compliments your hair color and looks natural. (Not grays that are bluish grays or tans that are pinkish)

#4. Lip liners tend to stay on longer than lipsticks, so if you want to use them, line your lips slightly on the upper side of your natural lip line (for fuller lips) or slightly on the inside of you natural lip line (if you want to reduce the thickness of your lips.) Then softly color in your lips with the liner, blend it all together and then put lipstick on. It lasts a lot longer that way and you don’t have a line around your mouth at the end of the day/evening.

As I get older, I prefer lighter natural shades as I have medium to thin lips and dark colors just are not flattering on me. Also, I very seldom use lip liners accept when I’m going to a wedding or something formal.

It all sounds complicated but it’s not. Once you find what works for you, just stick with it. I’ve been using the same foundation for over 10 years. The same lipstick, blush etc. and have been doing it for so long that it only take me a few minutes in the morning to do it.

I know this post is long but I hope it helps those stuck with bad makeup advice.
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :smile: Vickie Ya!! for you hubby!! I know you are so proud......

LINda
  • janessmi
    Options
    She said it is important for me to take calcium and vitamin D daily. Vicki M

Vicki,

I have been taking Fiber Choice with Calcuim and Vitamin D. They taste good, they have 4 grams of fiber and you get the calcuim/vitamin D. They are 16 calories and in the database here.

Susan
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

We had the most unusual potluck yesterday at work. Unusual in that it was not the usual high calorie caseroles. The group planning the potluck planned a soup and salad buffet. We had six different kinds of home made soup and a 12 food long table filled with different things for a salad ( no meats) and 5 different kinds of fruit salads.

There was one six foot table with the usual combination of potluck dessers, but even that was all small sized serving items with precut slices on the small side.

I had a wonderful bowl of green chili stew and a large salad and just 2 small samples of dessert managing to enjoy the potluck and stay within my calories. It was wonderful and I thought I'd share this idea with all of you as the holidays are coming.

Have a great day,

Jeannie
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Birdie,

Thank you for the makeup refresher course. I have seen people wearing the wrong shade, in relation to their necks, and it looks AWFUL!! Today I am back to looking like "me" again, with minimal applications and I also confrmed that the mineral foundation tried yesterday irritated the sensitive skin around my chin, so I will stick w/Almay for foundation and call it good.

I am on my way to a dental cleaning, so "bye" for now.

Barb
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone;

Got my second mammogram done today. (Lt. side only) The radiologist said it looks like benign calcifications. Of course they have this new digital machine (which my husband & sister think they are trying to pay for) and the reasoning behind doing this again was to get better baseline pictures. So his recommendation is to get this done every 6 months for 2 years.

I am just relieved they didn't find any cancer.

It's a beautiful day here and I am off to the local dairy to get some fresh milk. They make the best ice creams too but I'll just stay away from that (hopefully)

Oh, and thanks for the make up lesson!
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone. We had two beautiful autumn days (Sunday and Monday) here in Eastern Nebraska. Thoroughly enjoyed them and did my exercise outdoors both days by going for nice long walks to enjoy the beautiful weather and colors....really makes me love this time of year!!

About the picture thing...I totally agree with both Vicki M and Birdie. I was starting to think I have a major disconnect between "what I see" and "what I am." I can go someplace, leave the house feeling pretty good about myself and then I'll see a picture someone has taken of me and think "OMG-is that really ME?). The picture on this website is a perfect example. HOWEVER, one of my nieces sent it to me for facebook and said she loved that picture of me because I looked so happy in it. Normally I tend to try to get in the back row which is somewhat effective as I am the shortest one in the family! Oh well, they do say that what's on the inside counts too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MamaCindy...congrats on your second mammogram results. My eldest sister has a cyst in one breast that she has known about for years...they always try to get her to go for a 2nd one which she resists doing as it is always the same breast and it has been checked out numerous times before. If you have doubts, it's always best to get it checked out though.

Yesterday was my official "weigh day" for MFP. I was so busy weighing myself and doing my happy dance...reached my 30 pound mark...here I come reading and whirlpool bath day...that I totally spaced off an MRI I had scheduled for yesterday at 9:00 AM. Fortunately a very quick phone call to scheduling at 10:05 AM when I finally remembered it got me rescheduled for 1:00 PM and I got it out of the way yesterday. Most probably nothing serious...just a lump on my leg that has mysteriously showed up. I'm usually leery of lumps and bumps on my body as a "cyst" I had removed from my back when I was 22 years old was a little cancerous tumor that had just showed up. So, I err on the side of caution.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday.!!

Terri

P.S. Oh yeah, Congrats on joining the gym Benson...the thing to remember is whether it's a gym, treadmill in the basement or a great exercise dvd...the magic happens when we use them!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Hey, I was out of town this weekend from Fri. through Mon. and I don't think I can catch up...

But I had a great time. I did my triathlon and I got fourth place in my age group! I missed 3rd place by seconds... my own damn fault as I got the sleeve of my wet suit caught in the spokes of my bike in the first transition.

Then a bunch of us gals went on a small, intimate bike ride with Chrissie Wellington, the current World Ironman Women's Champion. We all got a chance to chat with her one-on-one. It was awesome!

I wrote about the whole weekend here:

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-gotribal-weekend-us-womens-tri.html
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Teri: Congrats on the 30 lbs!!!!!

I made it to the dairy & back without buying any ice cream. There were 2 little old ladies sitting out on the bench enjoying cones of buttered pecan. It looked really good. I went inside got my milk and asked if they were making the pumpkin ice cream yet. He said yes but they only had it in the half gallon tubs. I said I'd wait. I can serve myself a half cup of ice cream but its Hubby's downfall. He'd have it eaten in no time. He works 2nd so I'm not up at night to be the ice cream police. Maybe I'll take him with me next week and we can get a cone to share. If you plan for something it's good!

I've got to get off of here & get some things done. I'm going to Myrtle Beach with my GF this weekend and I have to get things in order so it is easy for Hubby & Son to do the caregiving while I am away.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    hi All,

love the make-up course. I totally agree.

Well, I've been doing school stuff with the kids and just now got the time to right. For a few minutes anyhow. I can't even remember if I told you all about my diet melt down answer from God.

I prayed and boy did i get an answer. A lady told me about South Beach Diet book. I already tried that but I felt God say to ," just listen." She explained a lot of how she lost weight losing it. So I went to the Thrift store and bought it for 99 cents. I lost 3 pounds and then in just five days I lost 7 more. Totally in less than a week I lost 11 pds!
    I feel so good. I am waking up with good blood sugars and walking and so happy. God is a Good God. But I think I had to get to the point where I was ready to listen to someone besides myself.

Enjoy all of your posts. Keep writing. I love this thead and all on it. :heart: kc
  • mamacindy81
    Options
    Great job KC!

So, is South Beach good for people who have diabetes? One of my best GF is diabetic and is always complaining about the trouble she is having with her sugar. I wish I could help her.
  • katznketo
    Options
    hi and thanks,
    yes, it sure is. I have never felt so good. My sugar immediately dropped in the morning from 178 to 124 like the second day. I am popping awake in the morning in stead of dragging and all my cravings for sugar are gone. thank you God. kc

Also, the book is written by a cardiologist and very easy to follow. I got it for cheap at the thrift store.
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Talk about frustrating:grumble: You all know I am totally excited - yet scared to go to the gym tomorrow right? So with all the effort in scheduling etc., I have it all figured out. WRONG My son phoned me at work just now to say he "forgot" to tell me about an important meeting at his school tomorrow night WHAT Day One is messed up?? I really want to be selfish and miss the meeting but its not just a parent/teacher thing. What to do?? My son is in Grade 12 in an accelerated learning program (International Baccalaureate) and the meeting is about the program itself, university, scholarships etc. so it is something I want to attend. Of all the rotten luck. It also sucks that tomorrow is the night the "Fit to Win" weight loss group meets and I really wanted to weigh in to see how much I have improved my evil ways since last week.

Okay vent over - Sorry ladies

Now I have gathered my thoughts and re-booked my orientation for Friday after work and I'll weigh in next Wednesday and hope to double my loss!! There all better:laugh:

Tonight I am taking my son driving. That should shake of a few pounds:tongue: Actually I was very calm taking him out on Sunday because he is so very nervous as it is so I make sure I don't show my nerves. Its not about the car but about the cargo right?? Tonight we are going where there is traffic!

Look at me babble on.

Night Ladies
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Hello everyone,

We had the most unusual potluck yesterday at work. Unusual in that it was not the usual high calorie caseroles. The group planning the potluck planned a soup and salad buffet. We had six different kinds of home made soup and a 12 food long table filled with different things for a salad ( no meats) and 5 different kinds of fruit salads.

There was one six foot table with the usual combination of potluck dessers, but even that was all small sized serving items with precut slices on the small side.

I had a wonderful bowl of green chili stew and a large salad and just 2 small samples of dessert managing to enjoy the potluck and stay within my calories. It was wonderful and I thought I'd share this idea with all of you as the holidays are coming.

Have a great day,

Jeannie

Love the new picture, Jeannie! :flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Hey everyone;

Got my second mammogram done today. (Lt. side only) The radiologist said it looks like benign calcifications. Of course they have this new digital machine (which my husband & sister think they are trying to pay for) and the reasoning behind doing this again was to get better baseline pictures. So his recommendation is to get this done every 6 months for 2 years.

I am just relieved they didn't find any cancer.

Wonderful news!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    birdieM:bigsmile:
  • katznketo
    Options
    Glad to hear the mammogram news. That's scary to have to endure. I would like to keep you in my prayers for perfect health.

The pot luck sounds so good. I think I will encourage my writers group to do this. Well, gotta get the kids. bless all of you and your health and eating today. kc