Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have been so busy, I almost didn't take time to read posts today (already skipped yesterday). Some of you know that I have been a little discouraged at times in the last couple of months due to my health and not being able to exercise like I am used to, but with determination and countless repetition of the boring seems like I'm doing nothing physical therapy exercises, my hip is finally back to normal. I actually have been able to go on walks this week, when the weather has allowed. However, I am not back to swimming yet, as my asthma is so flared up that the dr. put me back on breathing treatments today. BUT - I know that it will pass, and if I keep up my diligence on my diet, I will start losing again. (However, weeks like this on steroids making me gain are discouraging.)
    Anyway, I have rambled too long about myself. Welcome to the newcomers! And listen to the great advice here about how to get started and working out when it's cold - I just got an exercise video (Sweating to the Oldies 2) from Netflix today that I'm going to try.
    Blessings to all, and here's to smart choices! Good night!

Glad to hear from you, I started to wonder where you were!:frown: Please don't get discouraged as you have done SO WELL especially considering all your challenges!! You inspire me!:love: Praise the Lord your hip is back to normal!!!:happy: :happy: Steroids are tough, as you have no control over their affects.:ohwell: But do what you can, and not even God expects more than that:wink: Sweating to the oldies sounds great! I have Netflix so I may try it too. Right now I'm home, not feeling too well. My breathing is off so I am not going to exercise.:ohwell: I gained a little this week too, doing all the right things..... but I know if I keep doing, what I'm doing, the scale will eventually show it! Hang in there!
    BidieM:bigsmile:
  • BirdieM
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Becky: Sticking with MFP is definitely helpful! When I feel like eating….I post! Keep staying focused and you’ll do well!:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: Kathy: Thinking of you too and all my MFP friends!

:frown: I thought I WOULDN'T do well this week with my weigh in, because last week I lost the 1 lb I had gained the week before, plus another 5lbs. :bigsmile: But part of my discipline is to weigh myself every Wed. and I did. :indifferent: I gained 1 lb. back. :ohwell: Although I was a little disappointed I was not discouraged because I have not done anything off my program. :bigsmile: My focus, as I say to others, is to keep making wiser choices, keeping my calorie intake at 1200 & exercise calories, and exercising daily as much as I can. (Also staying in touch with my MFP pals!:wink: )I have done this (with the grace of God) :flowerforyou: So I am please with the discipline, as that's all I can do and let the chips (or lbs.) fall where they may.:laugh: :laugh:
    Maybe if the lbs aren’t falling I should get the chips recipe that mamacindy posted. Then at least the chips would be falling!!!
    Indeed I have an "Attitude of Gratitude":love: and will have a great day! I can't imagine what the scale would say if I wasn't doing MFP!:happy:

Have a wonderful day all. I may check in later.:smile:
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning Ladies

I promised myself I wouldn't spend any time on here today but here I am! Its kind of automatic to start up my computer when I get here and check on my friends. Lots of action - Lots of great successes.
    Welcome to the new ladies. You will enjoy this site.

Well isn't life strange sometimes? After the stress and bemoaning of having to cancel my initial gym visit, my husband (working 4-12 therefore making life crazy for me) went to the ER this morning for an injured foot and low and hehold he was given two weeks off work. Although I am worried about the money, I am thrilled that he can take over some of my evening stuff and I can go to the gym!! YAY I never thought I would be happy about that. Thankfully the lady at the gym understands and is quite happy to give me my appointment back. So I have ME time for the next two weeks. Very exciting!! I truly believe I would not have taken this step without the inspiration and encouragement of this group.:flowerforyou:
    Since I will be able to go the the weight loss support meeting as well, I will weigh in and report tomorrow **fingers crossed**

I caught some of the biggest loser last night - Holy Cow can you imagine working out for 6 hrs a day?? or losing 15 lbs in one week??

BIrdie - all of those little people on your porfile pics are just beautiful. Must take after ther Gram

Congrats to all of us for overcoming challenges - whether they are food or life we are doing it!!

Talk to you tommorrow

Heather
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking again, love reading all your posts. Everyone is helpful!
    Congrats to all for their successes, and determination. I am still logging and watching my calories and of course :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    my water.

I have not lost a pound, but this week the scale is consistantly up two. :sad: :sad: :sad:
    I will not quit! I need to get back to heavier workouts but just can't find the time or energy right now with this crazy work schedule. Weekends in Chicago, where I walk and move all day, and weekday afternoons on the farm where I walk and carry all day, weekday mornings in the office where I pop onto MFP. This schedule will thankfully end at the end of the month.

In the meanwhile I will enjoy your posts, watch my calories, try to catch up on my sleep, and :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Alice
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Alice, if we are changing our lifestyles for the better, then we are winners! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I don't like that I gained a lb this week, :sad: but I'm thrilled with not eating compulsively and putting food in its place:flowerforyou: . Before MFP, I wasn't exercising or keeping track of what I was eating.:frown: Now, at least, when I gain or don't lose, I don't get angy at myself:angry: I can just know, in my heart, that the weight will follow (or lack there of) if I stay focused.:happy: Think "life style changes for the good" as your goal, and if you follow a good regime, then you'll always have that to feel successful about.:bigsmile:
    You're a winner and so am I regardless of the scale!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Heather: Good luck with your free time at the gym! But sorry about hubby's foot:frown:

BirdieM:wink:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I've been exercising every day and eating very healthy but the scale hasn't budged this week.

Last day in the 'Burgh. It has been glorious fall weather so we spent about an hour walking on the city trails that used to be railroad tracks. Seems everyone was enjoying the day by walking, running or riding a bike. Then we dined al fresco nearby and rode home with the top down on her convertible. A bittersweet day s I'm beginning to really miss my husband, but know when I leave tomorrow I most likely won't see my girlfriend again until March.

Probably won't be on tomorrow at all as it will be my travel day.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I don't remember who made this suggestion to me on how to drink more water, but it works and is helping. I've started getting a drink of H2O before I touch my morning coffee. I never realized how thirsty I was first thing in the morning.

Thanks who ever it was that made that suggestion.

Jeannie
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone. What a glorious day. :smile: The sun was shinning, I walked at lunch,came home and played with Matthew then took him for a mile walk (he rode in his car I pushed) Stayed within my calories:happy: and lost 2 lbs this week.:smooched: I am truly a happy camper today.:bigsmile: I will pray for those at a standstill. You have been doing great so far things will work out. I have faith in you. We can do it. Love, Hugs and prayers, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday. I already typed one reply and then hit a wrong button and oops...there went all my work.

Welcome Kandy...good luck with your efforts. Visit often, log your food and exercise and the weight will take care of itself (almost)...or not... as everyone has experienced at some time...but we all have to hang in there knowing that our health is improving with every good choice we make and every bit of exercise we do. Barbie always has the best advice and I'm grateful to her for reminding me to take it one day at a time:flowerforyou:

Lynn...failed to thank you for the kudos...it always feels good to be congratulated!

To everyone else who is experiencing difficulties or disappointment :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hang in there!! Mary, sorry about the steroids...they do make it tough. Birdie...what goes up :grumble: must go down especially :happy: when we hang in there

Good job Suezzzque on exercising and staying on track for every day of vacation!! That's an accomplishment!

Alice...good to hear from you. Don't quit and don't get discouraged! They say stress will make your body hang on to the weight and your schedule sounds pretty stressful to me. Hopefully it will get better at the end of the month as you said.

Great night everyone!! Terri
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Susie maybe it is the different scale. When you get back to the scale at home you may see a difference. Have you been taking your apple cider vinegar on your trip.
    Welcome to new people You will love this site. I will weigh on Friday. I feel like I've done great so we will see. Went to Sam's today and got a pant coat. I was able to get a medium. My dressy coat is big on me but I think I can use it for the rest of this winter. Will need a new one next year. Hubby went back offshore so should do good for next few days. I just got finished lugging the exercise bike into the living room so I can ride some when girls are playing or when watching tv. We have an exercise room attached to our house but you have to go outside to get to it. In winter I dont go out there much so I figured this would be better. Can get in some extra burn. Hope all of you had a great day.
    Vicki M
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,998 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: My new winter coat came today. It's my most recent weight loss prize.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: We have rain today instead of winter weather so I'll have to wait awhile to wear the new coat.

I got way behind in my water drinking because of my dentist appointment (I didn't want to drink a ton of water and then be trapped in the chair for an hour ) so since I logged onto MFP pal I'm on my fourth glass of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Mary, I'm glad to hear that your hip is better and that you'll be exercising again.. I bought Sweatin' to the Oldies last winter and used it a lot. I expect to be using it again soon now that the days are shorter and rainier and I can't get outside as much to exercise.

:flowerforyou: Becky, you're right about eating better when you're connected to MFP

:flowerforyou: Kathy, keep up the good work, and never, never, never give up :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Birdie, I weigh myself a lot and my weight fluctuates as much as 5 pounds in 24 hours, so I don't take the ups and downs too seriously. The most important thing is to keep doing the things that are working.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I'm sorry about your husband's foot and his having to be off work, but glad that it will allow you some time to do the things you need to do. Enjoy your time at the gym.

:flowerforyou: Alice, your schedule sounds exhausting. I hope you can find ways to relax. Stress is a big roadblock to weight loss.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, your vacation sounds so great. Who knows what the scale will say when you get home......it could be good news.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I think I'll try having a glass of water in the morning while my tea is brewing. What a great idea. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, congratulations on your weight loss. All your hard work is paying off. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Terri, sometimes I have to take it one minute at a time :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I love my exercise bike in the living room :bigsmile:

Jake is packing tonight to leave for Phoenix on business at 6AM. It feels like he just got home and now he's going again. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: He'll only be gone a few days so this trip will be better.

Now it's time to get on the exercise bike. Because of the rain I haven't been for a walk or to the dog park, so I'd better do something. Hugs :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well it's one of those days. I just plain hungry! Got lots to do. I'm going to the beach w/my GF tomorrow and have to get everything in place for husband & son to do the caregiving while I am away. I've already logged in my exercise even though I haven't even done it yet hoping that will make me get around to doing it.

Well don't really have time for this.

I must be calm!
  • Benson
    Options
    Morning Ladies

I did it!!! I went for the orientation and, like most things in life, it was just the fear of the unkown making me nervous. I was only able to do 1 set of 12 reps on each machine because I didn't want to be sore. There is 8 machines for strength training and for cardio there is the bike, elliptical and treadmill. I only did 3-5 minutes on each for now for the same reason. There is nice big posters on the wall for stretches for each muscle group and of course the big ball, skipping ropes etc. All in all I was proud to finally be doing it. The only thing I have to get my mind around is that I weighed in very heavy. I know it was post dinner, fully clothed but I had to struggle not to be too sad about the number on the scale. I like the "naked morning" weight much better and I believe that circumstances during any given day can alter our true weight in a big way - so not sure if I will ever be happy with my weight at the Wednesday night meetings. Once I get used to the gym itself, I will join in on the exercise classes that I can do. Yay me!! I have a gym bag:bigsmile:

Have a great day

Heather
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Heather,
    I ONLY go by my scale at home, like you said, in the morning naked and before my coffee or breakfast. If I go to the doctors and his scale is different, it doesn't bother me. As you said, between our clothes and what we eat and drink, there can be huge differences!
    Have a good one!
    BirdieM:flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: mamacindy, you are sounding like me. We get too much going on in our schedules and then feel very stressed. I did this last weekend and one of my daughters is going to make this coming weekend just as bad. I need an extra weekend to get over the ones that I already have.

Heather..wonderful !!! I am sure that you will love it. Going to a gym makes working out feel more real. Don't worry about their scales. My doctor's always weighs me differently than the one at the gym. But then, I am more dressed at the drs.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I was reading the postings about peoples schedules getting them down and I happened across the following in one of the MFP blogs. I give credit to "Shannarunner" for posting it on her blog. I hope it provides everyone some perspective:

"When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in
    a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the two cups of
    coffee.

=============================

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.
    He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The
    pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes".

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, " I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf balls are the important things in life. Your God, your family, your children, your health, your friends, and your favorite passions: things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, and your car.

The sand is everything else: the small stuff.

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.

Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean house and fix the disposal.

Take care of the golf balls first; the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand.

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."

Hope everyone has a good day.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Does put things in perspective...doesn't it!:flowerforyou:
    BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I had read that some where else too. Maybe on of my friends sent it to me. My prayer lately has been "Lord help me to see the things I need to pick up and do and the things that I can just lay down because they aren't that important." Now if I can just go about my day remembering to ask that question.

As busy as my day has been Hubby (bless his heart) called to say he had run out of gas. He drives this old pick up truck whose gas gauge is broken. I just have to shake my head cause you'd think he would keep it filled up. I guess I should be thankful that he had to go on some errands today because if he hadn't I would probably have had to go out in the middle of the night to rescue him. I just sure wish he would either get the gauge fixed or keep on top of it.

Still haven't done my exercise and I have a pile of laundry that needs to be folded & put away. Thankfully my sweet wonderful son is cleaning up the kitchen for me. I know he is going to make some girl very happy one day because he just doesn't mind cleaning house.

I'll check back later.
  • Benson
    Options
    I love that one too Barb Thanks for reminding me. Now I want coffee though:laugh:

Have a great rest of your day

Heather
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Hello, everyone,

I'm new to mfp - started last Saturday - WOW it really helps me keep on track. It's like someone else is watching everything I do and I don't want to mess up!

I've been reading your posts and I think this group is for me. I'm WELL over 50 but feel younger. I'd like to come on board. :smile:

Karen