Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: KC & Terri: Congratulations on the great weight loss! Isn’t it thrilling??!!!

:noway: :noway: Mamacindy: Butter Pecan!!! My favorite!! But what I like even more…is seeing the scale go down.:wink: You have great control!:flowerforyou:

:smile: Benson: Maybe you weren’t supposed to get weighed tonight? It seems like things happen for a reason. I am supposed to get weighed tomorrow and I’m hesitant. After losing 5 lbs last week (which is still hard for me to believe even though I got off and on the scale 3 times), I can’t imagine that I’ve lost again. Maybe a gain? But why? I’ve been absolutely perfect on my foods for the last week? This scale thing can make us nuts!
    I guess it’s just the focus that counts! You’ve been doing well and so have I. So the weighing thing shouldn’t be an issue for either of us….I guess…
    :ohwell:
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • BirdieM
    Options
    :bigsmile: My grandaughter Melanie's 1 yr pictures added to my profie. (The 2 last pictures). She is just an angel!
    BirdieM:love:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Birdie & KC thanks for the encouraging comments.

Birdie that grandchild is beautiful!

Off to my Bible Study Group this evening .

Didn't get in any exercise today w/the mammogram appt. and the visit to the dairy. So hopefully on that end I will do better tomorrow. Bowling in the morning and housework in the afternoon. I wish I could totally get my act together.
  • lindyloser100
    Options
    I would like to join. I am 52 almost 53 in a few weeks but I have new challenges in my life that I didn't have before. I want to get healthy. I would like to lose 75 more pounds. I have lost quite a bit, but still find food as my stress companion. The higher the stress the more it triggers my eating. I am doing it. Counting the calories, that is, but I am not liking it. I am hoping that obedience is better than sacrifice and the doctor says for my health I must. So I am trying to break old habits. :sad: ?:angry::grumble: All these emotions are running amuck in my head, but I will do it and hopefully learn to like it and for it to become a habit and then whenever I feel the results more and more I will become less and less dependent on bad behavior.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. I am 52 almost 53 in a few weeks but I have new challenges in my life that I didn't have before. I want to get healthy. I would like to lose 75 more pounds. I have lost quite a bit, but still find food as my stress companion. The higher the stress the more it triggers my eating. I am doing it. Counting the calories, that is, but I am not liking it. I am hoping that obedience is better than sacrifice and the doctor says for my health I must. So I am trying to break old habits. :sad: ?:angry::grumble: All these emotions are running amuck in my head, but I will do it and hopefully learn to like it and for it to become a habit and then whenever I feel the results more and more I will become less and less dependent on bad behavior.
    Welcome, Lindy.
    Today is the first day of a miraculous journey. Take it one day at a time. I started day one by planning three meals and a snack and sticking to the plan. I did that one day at a time for a few days before I found MFP. Then I started to pay more attention to the calorie count of my planned meals. I didn't try to be an expert from day one. I read a lot and learned a lot on the message boards. Then I found the 50+ women and these women gave me the encouragement that I craved.

I hope your journey will be satisfying and successful. :bigsmile:
    And drink a lot of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    hugs :heart:
    Barbie
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hi All,

Didn’t eat great:blushing: but stayed in the calories so I hope to do well in the end. Congrats Terri 30 lbs wow!!:flowerforyou: Keep up the great work.

KC good job with the weight loss and God is good for sure.:flowerforyou:

Well good night everyone and keep up the good work.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lynn
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :heart: Good evening all, just a quick note tonight. I am exhausted and can't stop yawning. I finally got to walk at lunch time today and walked a mile in 12 min. It was such a beautiful evening when I got home (I had 2 hours overtime so got home later than normal) I decided to walk again and did 2 miles in less than 30 min. Welcome to our newbies and Congratulations to our losers and winners.
    Love, Hugs and prayers for all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: KC & Terri: Congratulations on the great weight loss! Isn’t it thrilling??!!!

I'm thrilled!!! Half way there feels wonderful. Thanks Birdie.
    Terri
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome, LindyLoser...this is a great spot to be for understanding, empathy and moral support. Just a suggestion that I find is helping me tremendously...try writing a journal page each day. I sometimes write about where I am in my weight loss journey, but just as often will kind of use it as a means to organize what I need to do today, or as a sort of prayer journal, and even, sometimes just to vent. It's just between me and myself, but it's a great help...especially as it is sort of talking with myself without actually talking to myself which is a bad habit I have and am trying to break myself of.

:embarassed: Terri
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations to all of you losers and welcome to the newcomers.

:flowerforyou: Benson, I can understand all the running around for the kids. This past weekend was nothing but that and the upcoming one doesn't look any more relaxing. One of my kids even wants me to drive three hours one way to bring her to my house for a visit. This will have to be fit in with all the driving I will be doing for the two who still live a home. Sometimes I wish that I could just disappear.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Mommacindy- Congradulations on the mammogram results. You must be so relieved.

Lindy-Welcome.

It's getting late and I wanted to get a quick post in before bedtime.

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jeannie, I love your new picture. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: That potluck sounds amazing.

:flowerforyou: Becky and:flowerforyou: Benson, you have no idea how much I admire the success you've achieved while raising children. You should both be extra proud of yourselves for juggling all the demands on your time and energy.

:flowerforyou: mamacindy, that is such good news about your mammogram. :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Terri, I do a sort of meditation/reflection when I'm walking my dogs. It works a lot like your journal and saves me from opening my mouth when I should keep it closed. Congratulations on reaching the 30 pound mark. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou: kc, good luck with the South Beach diet. I've heard a lot of good things about it.Stay with it and don't give up. Healthy eating is so important.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, thanks for all that info about makeup. I'm not a makeup person but I learned a lot.

:flowerforyou: MacMadame---you did great on your race. I haven't read your blog yet, but thanks for letting us know about it.

jake went to Seattle with a friend today so I went to the yarn shop and knitted with friends for a couple of hours before eating lunch and taking the dogs to the dog park.

I'm not burning enough calories working on the computer, so I'll close and do something requiring more energy. :laugh: :laugh:
    hugs,:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • BirdieM
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Mamacindy: It sounds to me that you do have your act together. We all can improve, but don’t miss the positive things you’re doing!:wink:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Linda: Welcome, welcome welcome!!! Yes we can always use the wisdom of those on the same journey! Give yourself time to track your foods and every time you track something, it’s there for you to check off the next time. It get’s easier the more you do it. When you feel like eating over stress, get on the computer and post (if you can) or do what Terri suggested and simply keep a journal. Sometimes writing a thankful list helps to as some mentioned or taking a walk and meditating like Barbie suggested. While you’re writing or walking…you’re not eating!! We’re all human, thank God, so no one here is perfect. I have lost 20 lbs since Aug by just tracking my foods and exercising on my treadmill. Everyone is here for you. This is a great thread with a lot of great supporting women!!

:flowerforyou: Lynn: You stayed within your calories…that’s great. What more can you ask for?

:flowerforyou: Becky: Don’t disappear!!! :noway: :noway: We need your input in between the rides!:happy:

:yawn: Goodnight Jeannie and Rosemarie. Sleep tight!:yawn:

:flowerforyou: Barbie: If being on the computer works off calories we’d all be at our goal weight!!! :laugh: :laugh: It’s all a matter of balance. Boy that Jake is a busy guy!!

Time for bed.:yawn:

• kandyroyal
    kandyroyal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi -- I am 58, and not very consistent about dieting or exercise. But I want to try harder as I feel better (arthritis in the knees and back) when I am thinner and have more muscle mass. How can I exercise other than taking walks without joining a gymn, etc.? How can I know what is most effective?
  • BirdieM
    Options
    Hi -- I am 58, and not very consistent about dieting or exercise. But I want to try harder as I feel better (arthritis in the knees and back) when I am thinner and have more muscle mass. How can I exercise other than taking walks without joining a gymn, etc.? How can I know what is most effective?

:flowerforyou: Kandy: Welcome! There are all kinds of things you can do like dvd exercise programs, Wii Fit, Treadmill, dance etc. For me the treadmill has worked but I want to try something else, like dancing.:wink: Good luck! Trial and error is how we all find out what works:wink:
    BirdieM:bigsmile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have been so busy, I almost didn't take time to read posts today (already skipped yesterday). Some of you know that I have been a little discouraged at times in the last couple of months due to my health and not being able to exercise like I am used to, but with determination and countless repetition of the boring seems like I'm doing nothing physical therapy exercises, my hip is finally back to normal. I actually have been able to go on walks this week, when the weather has allowed. However, I am not back to swimming yet, as my asthma is so flared up that the dr. put me back on breathing treatments today. BUT - I know that it will pass, and if I keep up my diligence on my diet, I will start losing again. (However, weeks like this on steroids making me gain are discouraging.)
    Anyway, I have rambled too long about myself. Welcome to the newcomers! And listen to the great advice here about how to get started and working out when it's cold - I just got an exercise video (Sweating to the Oldies 2) from Netflix today that I'm going to try.
    Blessings to all, and here's to smart choices! Good night!
  • barbiecat
    Options

Welcome, Kandy---this is a life long journey for me. I learned a lot about exercise from the wonderful women on this thread and from others on MFP. There are great exercise videos that aren't expensive. I did yoga with a DVD last winter and will be returning to it soon now that the weather is getting colder and the days are getting shorter and I can't walk like I want to.

Take it one day at a time and check in with us every day for ideas and inspiration.
    Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: kandyroyal...welcome to the thread. You may want to try some exercise DVDs to use at home. By careful with you back and knees. You will know how hard to push yourself.

:flowerforyou: Mary, is there any exercise at all that you can do? Maybe ask you doctor for some advice on what you can and can't do.

:flowerforyou: BirdieM...you would at least think that with all this computer use that our fingers would be in great shape.:laugh:

Since making more time to be at MFP I am doing better with my meals. And of course, I am doing better now that my husband is away some nights at work. Since adding two more days a week at the gym, I am finding that my weight is staying more even. No more boucing around the same two or three pounds. Just hoping that I will now begin to lose again.:happy:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone,

I'm just checking in. Pleased that I passed on the ice cream yesterday and then on the cookies & milk I was wanting on the way home from Bible Study last night. ( didn't have any calories left)

Anyway I wanted to post this link for Kale Chips.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Kale-Chips/Detail.aspx?src=etaf

My BF said she made them last night and they were good. I'm going to try them, she said they were a good alternative to chips. We'll see.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Welcome to the newcomers!
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Motivated today. I'm busy, and thinking of all you great ladies.

:heart: Kathy