Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    fyi not that this should need to be expressed with people over the age of 14 but...

Carnivore - only eat meat, exclusively only eat meats
    Herbivore - only eats plant material
    Omnivore - Combination of the above.

If you were a human carnivore you would be dead by now.
  • takechances
    Options
    For me, (even though I am not a vegan) it's a feeling of being alienated as someone said before. I like that I can eat a vegan/vegetarian burger and it look like a real burger.
    Also, the burger shape makes sense. It goes on a round bun, so it should be round.
    It's a familiarity that people like. Maybe even though the person isn't eating meat, they would like a familiar taste and look. I personally think tofurkey looks a lot more appetizing than a slab of tofu, even.though I love them both.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Possibly for the same reasons that people who like animals have toy animals? No harm in eating something that tastes or looks like an animal when you're not killing any animal. Why shouldn't people eat any flavour or shape they like when they're so much kinder to animals than us carnivores? It seems a bit strange for anyone to be curious or concerned about this!!
    I seriously doubt you're a carnivore.
    Really???!!! My diary proves so. Eating low carb.

So you don't eat any vegetables?
    Carnivore is usually understood as meaning solely or mainly meat eating, not just solely. I perhaps should have been extra boring and said facultative carnivores or omnivores but I knew all/most would know what I meant!
  • muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options
    They don't represent animals, they represent forms of food that most people grow up eating and are used to.

Well they eat animal crackers ;)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Playing devils advocate here but... Technically if a non meat product tastes like a meat product would it not be reasonable to assume that a certain amount of animal death went into that recipe? I mean you woul have to eat at least one turkey before you could make something else taste like it... So isn't it technically an animal byproduct and technically animals were used in the making of said items ?

I don't think there is any answer to give you that you will actually think about and accept because honestly I can tell you aren't really here for an answer more than for your own amusement or to play "devil's advocate" as you say. A lot of non meat eaters like the taste of meat but for their own personal reasons do not want to contribute to factory farming, animal suffering yadda yadda yadda. A burger is shaped like a burger because how else would you fit it on the bun, same with a hot dog, it also is more appetizing when it's a food you can recognize or grew up with before you made the change. Marketing is also probably the reason they do this, they want you to know the product they are trying to sell. As far as fake meat as an animal byproduct, you are really stretching it. Maybe meat eaters developed the flavor of the fake meat, they are eating meat anyway so what does it matter. Anyway this is all moot, People say they are curious, I don't really believe that because most of the time they just want to debate while hiding under the mask of curiosity so they don't come off like total aholes with no good reason for doing so.

I actually did not intend to have that statement as a source of amusement, if I did I would laugh about it but I really didnt. I actually broached this subject to a very STRICT almost militaristic Vegan and the question perplexed her and although she never actually ate a "meat flavored" product because dare I say it... she agreed with me that it would at least be hypocritical if a vegan ate a meat flavored product because ... then we had the conversation and quite frankly she agreed with me that eating a meat flavored product would REQUIRE that at some point an animal was used to make that product. It would not matter if it was a meat eater making that product the point is as in most hardcore vegans believe that any item that is in any way a bi-product of an animal.

For once I was actually not trying to be a sarcastic twit, but if you really want me to I can arrange that.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This is an odd thread. Maybe it's not difficult for me to understand because I'm vegan. But just because I gave up animal products for ethical reasons doesn't mean I don't like how certain dishes taste. For example, I grew up eating sauerkraut and kielbasa at big family gatherings. These days I can still join in but I enjoy Tofurky kielbasa instead. In addition, meat analogs are generally good sources of protein. Especially out at restaurants, a veggie burger is often the best higher protein option for a vegan/vegetarian.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Possibly for the same reasons that people who like animals have toy animals? No harm in eating something that tastes or looks like an animal when you're not killing any animal. Why shouldn't people eat any flavour or shape they like when they're so much kinder to animals than us carnivores? It seems a bit strange for anyone to be curious or concerned about this!!
    obviously anyone whose view differs from your own is simply lying....
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Hey. Start your own thread.
    I've hired you to help start a war. It's a prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The same reason lesbians like...um......male-parts shaped things?

Lol!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    obviously anyone whose view differs from your own is simply lying....
    I don't think she's lying. I think she is improperly applying the term carnivore.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Junk is junk no matter what it resembles, in my opinion.

Faux meat is chemically injected, processed slosh.

You are better off without it, your body will thank you.

http://www.icallthisliving.com

What chemicals are in tofu?

How about a nice home made bean burger?

Quorn contains 'naturally occuring' chemicals - disodium guanylate, and inosinate. What are your concerns about these? They're not even on the FDA food additives list...

Painting in very broad brush strokes is never wise...
  • ruthiejewell
    Options
    fyi not that this should need to be expressed with people over the age of 14 but...

Carnivore - only eat meat, exclusively only eat meats
    Herbivore - only eats plant material
    Omnivore - Combination of the above.

If you were a human carnivore you would be dead by now.
    Different dictionaries and teaching in different countries??? However most people understand when one says carnivore, (I guess we all are capable of applying our understanding to the situation in question unless maybe under 14!) unless at a specific conference etc and I suspect no one is intersted enough to be even reading this as I'm certainly past boredom by now but whatever floats your boat! Oh I don't mean you have a real boat etc etc etc!!!
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the replies because, honestly, this is probably the stupidest question I've ever seen asked. Really? :huh:
  • ruthiejewell
    Options
    You are so right! I've never before replied to these things and am regretting doing so as not only was it daft to start with but then some people want to start arguing with particular words you may have used or irrelevant points! And bad luck to anyone they consider less intelligent than they believe they are! Maybe some people just spend their day arguing online? Anyway, for me, lesson learned; back to a more interesting life and using other great features of MFP!!
  • overboard101
    Options
    I think it's because they fit the bun!!
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It does seem like a strange question to me, honestly. But I'll bite anyway:

1. I became veg for ethical reasons. Although some meat smells make me feel sick (pork for example), I didn't become veg because I didn't like the taste of meat. So I don't see any reason not to eat them. I like variety in my diet. That said, some fake meats are so realistic looking and smelling that I simply can't eat them.
    2. My husband eats meat so using pseudo meat is a way to cook meals that appeal to both of us. He hates beans and doesn't like pasta but he does eat pseudo meat.
    3. They're a convenient way to get protein.

Probably the reason some of them are shaped/coloured/named to resemble meat is simply to market them to omnivores. I'd eat them even if they weren't though.

I hope that answers the question. :smile:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Most vegans and vegetarians had eaten animal products at one time. It become common to have them resemble those products to allow for an easier time transitioning.

I'm ones of those freaks that don't like the taste of meat. I'm not truly a vegetarian at this time(was in my teens) but could easily go that way.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    They're familiar foods. Most of the time being vegan is either a health choice or an animal rights choice, but that doesn't mean you won't miss the foods you gave up. Plus, things like burgers are convenient patties of food to eat. They weren't made that way because they're a cow.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    A veg might ask why meat eaters shape their ground up animal bits like falafel (balls or patties) :wink:

The best answers have been given, all I can say is that I've chosen to not use animals for food, clothing, or entertainment. I haven't chosen to give up any flavors or food shapes. Many flavorings used in meat that people like actually come from plants anyway... non-meat eaters can still enjoy those flavors.

True. We should go the natural way and eat from whole carcasses by tearing chunks off with our teeth. :wink: