Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options

Replies

• aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

There is a growing number of people who have become vegan or choose vegan options like veggie burgers for health reasons, ie. bill clinton. Veganism isn't always a moral choice, especially with new research demonstrating that a plant based diet can lead to fewer health problems.

Eating vegan does not mean eating healthy. Trust me. There are some pretty unhealthy vegan out there. I've tried to find vegan breakfast ideas to try to get veggies in my morning all I found are muffins and pancakes as vegan breakfast...yeah super healthy.

I know there are unhealthy vegans, but most who switch for health reasons know the difference. Also, this may shock you, but vegans can still be healthy and have a pancake now and then just like some meat eaters can be healthy and have a cookie here and there, Its this new thing called moderation.

I wasn't implying that vegans are unhealthy. I'm saying that you don't have to be vegan to be healthy. Most people that switched to Vegan is doing it because it's a fad. It's "the thing" nowaday. Most think that just because they're vegan they're gonna be healthy, but it's not so.

I know a lot of vegan. They eat the most sugary stuff you wouldn't imagine. But it's "vegan" so it's "healthy".
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The same reason lesbians like...um......male-parts shaped things?

lolllllllllllllllllll

Thank you...glad ONE person thought that was funny!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    My reasoning for not eating most meat (pescetarian) is not because I object to how meat looks. Seems like a ridiculous question.

It's like asking why people who don't eat worms will eat gummy worms because they look like worms. Don't eat teddy bears? Then why would you eat gummy bears?

good way to put it

Not really, it's not gummy worms and gummy bears aren't pretending to be worms and bears. You intentionally misinterpret the question. It's why eat something that looks like chicken and is called chick'in if you object to eating chicken?
  • beckajw
    Options
    i will say as a part-time vegan/ mostly vegetarian or whatever label you want to apply to my diet, that i am not a fan of processed soy, so i don't eat "meat" products. i find them almost as repulsive as meat itself (which i occasionally do eat, but only when i feel like i need to, mostly around my "lady time")

I do make "bean burgers" because I like the sandwich that we call "burgers". I love having fresh avocado, lettuce, tomato, cold onions & homemade pickles on a disk-shaped patty that I can put in my hands and consume easily. food is cultural as much as it is nourishing. "burgers" are a summertime favorite, and why shouldn't I?

I never think of them as meat (of course not! they're totally different!) and it's a lot like saying falafel is like a chicken nugget or a meatball, when it's clearly a different thing all together.

people have been making hand food for centuries. often times it was created without meat in the first place. so it's almost like asking the questions "why do you meat eaters make things that look like vegetarian food?"

Like what? What was veggie in the first place that became meat? Not a Falafel. Falafel is falafel. Chicken nugget is chicken nugget. Meatball is meatball. But soy meatball is not a soy meatball. It's a soy ball. Why not call it a soy ball? I don't call turkey burgers turkey hamburgers.
  • beckajw
    Options
    Don't pretend it's not judgmental "because that's what it is". The peas you are eating are dead also, do you call them a bowl of dead stuff? Meat is meat, beans are beans, peas are peas. It's okay if you think meat is gross, but at least own what you are doing.

that's not entirely true. fresh food is still living in many cases. and your example of peas: it does not kill the plant to eat peas, in fact, it's good for the plant for the peas to be picked and eaten. it helps the plant thrive.

it's a tired and invalid argument that eating fruits, vegetables & legumes is dead food. it's not always, and often is not even close to the truth.

i say this as a gardener & foodie. I even eat meat occasionally, so i'm not saying it like "you're a meat eater and you suck for doing it" i'm just trying to point out that the argument for living food is a strong one.

No, what you said was people are eating dead bits rather than saying they are eating meat. You are saying it to be judgmental, but if you can't own up to what you believe, that's fine.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    i will say as a part-time vegan/ mostly vegetarian or whatever label you want to apply to my diet, that i am not a fan of processed soy, so i don't eat "meat" products. i find them almost as repulsive as meat itself (which i occasionally do eat, but only when i feel like i need to, mostly around my "lady time")

I do make "bean burgers" because I like the sandwich that we call "burgers". I love having fresh avocado, lettuce, tomato, cold onions & homemade pickles on a disk-shaped patty that I can put in my hands and consume easily. food is cultural as much as it is nourishing. "burgers" are a summertime favorite, and why shouldn't I?

I never think of them as meat (of course not! they're totally different!) and it's a lot like saying falafel is like a chicken nugget or a meatball, when it's clearly a different thing all together.

people have been making hand food for centuries. often times it was created without meat in the first place. so it's almost like asking the questions "why do you meat eaters make things that look like vegetarian food?"

Like what? What was veggie in the first place that became meat? Not a Falafel. Falafel is falafel. Chicken nugget is chicken nugget. Meatball is meatball. But soy meatball is not a soy meatball. It's a soy ball. Why not call it a soy ball? I don't call turkey burgers turkey hamburgers.

Lots of folks do... for that matter, why do you call them hamburgers when they're almost always beef?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find the processed vegan foods that try to taste like meat (soy "chicken fingers" or "tofurkey" and such things) a little odd. But, I can understand wanting something that looks like a burger because burgers fit nicely on a bun.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, I'm a vegetarian, but the short answer is that sometimes, salads, rice and veggie dishes and the like, etc. just aren't convenient to carry with me or quick to fix on a limited schedule. When I have the time and space to prepare something ahead of time, I vastly prefer whole foods that take effort to fix. But the majority of quick options for vegetarians resemble meat in some way. I've never really considered it that big an issue. Of course, I don't eat meat because my stomach doesn't tolerate it. I might feel differently if it were a moral/ethical issue for me.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I know that when vegetarians use terms like "bits of dead animal" and "dead animal flesh" it's done in a judgmental way but all it does is make me hungry for hunks of dead animal.

No, it's done in a descriptive way.

I buy and cook meat for my partner, my family... I don't really *care* what other people eat, and have never felt judgemental about it. But call a spade a spade mate. It's a hunk of dead stuff. It's a description anyone preparing to eat it should really be comfortable with. (As you clearly are.)

I have an issue with people who only want sanitised products, where the animal they're eating is not really evident in the 'product'. If you're prepared to kill it, skin it, bone and gut it, I reckon you have the right to eat it. Myself, I could never do all those things, and I'd feel a hypocrite picking up something in the supermarket someone else killed for me, conveniently forgetting it was once a living thing.

Of course, the carrots, tofu, etc. are also a hunk of dead stuff. Correct?

If you like.

Do you really want to dredge up the tired, fallacious 'carrots have feelings too' nonsense. Cause I may myself lose the will to live.... do you really want that on your xconscience

I didn't say the veggies had feelings too. You said, you called meat "bits of dead animal" only because that's what it is. You said it had nothing to do with being judgmental. However, you don't call carrots bits of dead produce. So, ,my point is you aren't really being honest when you say you're only calling it what it is. You are calling it that for effect.

Seriously? You want to pick a fight with the vegetarian who has clearly indicated they have no issue whatsoever with other people's choices?

My usual phrase would be 'dead animal'. Does that suit your inner pendant better? I can talk about dead broccoli if it would really make you happy.
    My meat eating partner uses phrases like 'I'm craving something's flesh'. I guess in your mind he's somehow being dishonest too?

Seriously peculiar argument there.
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Possibly for the same reasons that people who like animals have toy animals? No harm in eating something that tastes or looks like an animal when you're not killing any animal. Why shouldn't people eat any flavour or shape they like when they're so much kinder to animals than us carnivores? It seems a bit strange for anyone to be curious or concerned about this!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Possibly for the same reasons that people who like animals have toy animals? No harm in eating something that tastes or looks like an animal when you're not killing any animal. Why shouldn't people eat any flavour or shape they like when they're so much kinder to animals than us carnivores? It seems a bit strange for anyone to be curious or concerned about this!!
    I seriously doubt you're a carnivore.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I believe it’s a MARKETING scheme targeted towards carnivores to replace their current desires for meat. If it looks like hamburger, it might taste like hamburger even though its non-meat based. The purpose is to persuade hardcore meat eaters that vegetable products are satisfying and can be consumed the same as meat. Marketing is a very persuasive and powerful tool.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

No, what you said was people are eating dead bits rather than saying they are eating meat. You are saying it to be judgmental, but if you can't own up to what you believe, that's fine.

I actually never said that.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

you might want to re-read. I was saying that falafel is a patty and nobody thinks of it like "oh, hey, look at this chicken nugget.. sure looks a lot like falafel (which came way way before chicken nuggets)" ... we would be agreeing.
  • ruthiejewell
    Options
    veggie-art2.jpg

r44573fp.jpg

animal3.jpg

1563438362_7c0790e361.jpg

:drinker:
  • ruthiejewell
    Options
    veggie-art2.jpg

r44573fp.jpg

animal3.jpg

1563438362_7c0790e361.jpg

:drinker:
    WOW!!! Fantastic!!
  • ruthiejewell
    Options
    Really???!!! My diary proves so. Eating low carb.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I understand it. There's more societal pressure than you think. Plus, cutting into a tofurky on thanksgiving is just more fun than just cutting into a giant block of baked tofu. It's tradition and allows a vegan the pleasure of enjoying a holiday without being too weird about it.

I'll say it again, societal pressure is more powerful than you think. Plus, what else would a burger look like. Round, triangle, 3 dimensional? How else would you make a burger look?

I think the people saying "because thats what a burger looks like" are missing the point of the question. Why do you want a food that looks like a burger? I think if you've made a life decision to have a plant based diet, no meat or meat products, I would think you would want just that food. The question is more if you dont eat meat, why is there a need for products that make it look and feel like you're eating meat?

Well, if you want a sandwich, vegan or not, why not have a filling that fits the shape of the bread? Meat isn't naturally a flat, circular shape, nor naturally sliced, so why does it matter whether your sliced sandwich fillings are made of meat or beans/legumes/tofu/whatever? Or should vegetarian eats food only as it's naturally shaped? Because I eat meat, but I don't insist on it being looking like a cow.

I'm saying the question (i thought) was less about the shape and more about why there are such similar substitutes. If you are a vegan and want a sandwich there is a lot you can put on it- hummus, sprouts, mushrooms, bell peppers, peanut butter, and so on. If you are choosing to go vegan, why do you need something that is imitation deli meat? Why not just anything else that can go on bread that does not emulate meat.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Really???!!! My diary proves so. Eating low carb.

So you don't eat any vegetables?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

There is a growing number of people who have become vegan or choose vegan options like veggie burgers for health reasons, ie. bill clinton. Veganism isn't always a moral choice, especially with new research demonstrating that a plant based diet can lead to fewer health problems.

Eating vegan does not mean eating healthy. Trust me. There are some pretty unhealthy vegan out there. I've tried to find vegan breakfast ideas to try to get veggies in my morning all I found are muffins and pancakes as vegan breakfast...yeah super healthy.

I know there are unhealthy vegans, but most who switch for health reasons know the difference. Also, this may shock you, but vegans can still be healthy and have a pancake now and then just like some meat eaters can be healthy and have a cookie here and there, Its this new thing called moderation.

I wasn't implying that vegans are unhealthy. I'm saying that you don't have to be vegan to be healthy. Most people that switched to Vegan is doing it because it's a fad. It's "the thing" nowaday. Most think that just because they're vegan they're gonna be healthy, but it's not so.

I know a lot of vegan. They eat the most sugary stuff you wouldn't imagine. But it's "vegan" so it's "healthy".

Please point out where I said a vegan diet was the only way to be healthy