Petpeeves, what does YOUR partner do?

Options

Replies

• LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Whenever he takes something out of it's package the package will set there. He never throws it away!! Drives me insane.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options

You're presuming he actually spills his guts in therapy. He doesn't. He has no opinion or emotions in therapy. The therapist has to drag them out of him, and when she does it's like an epiphany for him. Like "wow, I didn't realize I felt this way".

Also, your example is completely irrelevant. You are presuming that your SO has the capability of even talking about it in the first place. Mine does not, and it eats away at him, so much so that it gives him anxiety. Big difference.

Yes yes! Mine suffers from anxiety from keeping it all in... causing the reason he is layed off for personal issues and in therapy until resolved. Not talking about feelings and things can be very horrible, for both people. Everyone has feelings, its teaching them to cope, or even express them that is the issue. Same as above, he doesnt just come talk if he feels like it. He doesnt know how, therefore he cant.
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend does this annoying thing where he doesn't exist.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

You're presuming he actually spills his guts in therapy. He doesn't. He has no opinion or emotions in therapy. The therapist has to drag them out of him, and when she does it's like an epiphany for him. Like "wow, I didn't realize I felt this way".

Also, your example is completely irrelevant. You are presuming that your SO has the capability of even talking about it in the first place. Mine does not, and it eats away at him, so much so that it gives him anxiety. Big difference.

Yes yes! Mine suffers from anxiety from keeping it all in... causing the reason he is layed off for personal issues and in therapy until resolved. Not talking about feelings and things can be very horrible, for both people. Everyone has feelings, its teaching them to cope, or even express them that is the issue. Same as above, he doesnt just come talk if he feels like it. He doesnt know how, therefore he cant.

Coping and talking are not mutually exclusive, though. I can cope with my feelings in solitude without talking to a soul. And sometimes talking doesn't help at all. There's no hard and fast rule that you have to talk about things to feel better about them.

When a man goes through something stressful, like a job loss, it's a blow to his ego. He doesn't feel manly. Expecting him to relate like a woman makes him feel even less so. He wants to have a job and provide for his family again. He wants to feel manly and virile and important.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Just bother him about it until he gives in and starts existing better.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

Just bother him about it until he gives in and starts existing better.
    Yeah, I probably should...it's best to train them early on, you know?
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Coping and talking are not mutually exclusive, though. I can cope with my feelings in solitude without talking to a soul. And sometimes talking doesn't help at all. There's no hard and fast rule that you have to talk about things to feel better about them.

When a man goes through something stressful, like a job loss, it's a blow to his ego. He doesn't feel manly. Expecting him to relate like a woman makes him feel even less so. He wants to have a job and provide for his family again. He wants to feel manly and virile and important.

He lost his job because he WASNT providing for his family. I was. me and my 2 jobs were keeping us all a float while his anxiety turned to drug abuse, which turned to anger problems, which turned to my uncle firing him until he can get himself better. His 'ego' had issues because he created them. He chose to not provide for his family, and instead of talking about his feelings they bottled up and he looked for relief. Thus spending all his money on bad habits. His failure to talk about things lead to pain on both ends.

Now should our son and myself have to suffer forever because you think I should just let his emotions go? That is where I am indifferent. My situation may not be the same as the others, but I do believe there is power in talking through emotional battles.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @songbyrd (we were bordering on quote abuse there)

"I don't assume he has that capability...I just waited and saw. He went to his mental man-cave initially and came out when he was ready. Had he lacked it, my trying to force it wouldn't have helped at all anyway."

I've been waiting and seeing for 5 years. Then I've tried to talk to him about it, we were both agreeing that something had to be done but we didn't know what. So now we are getting outside perspective. In your previous statements, there appears to be an interpretation of forcing or badgering on my part, which leads me to believe that you have a completely inaccurate view of the relationship dynamic I am describing. There was no force involved at any point, no nagging, nothing of the sort. We're trying to meet each other's needs even better that we already are, and didn't quite know how to go about it on our own.

"I can understand if a man really has anxiety because his emotional constipation is eating away at him, but in many cases, they are simply quiet and reflective whereas women are vocal and relative. Like you said--evolution. It's not just societal norms that create differences in males and females. It is actual brain anatomy. Perhaps I look at things differently as a physiologist and Taoist. To me, pain comes from wishing things were different. Instead I accept them or move on if they are absolutely contrary to my values. If my man wants quiet reflective time, I respect that, and I feel no different about our relationship because of it."

We're talking about nature v. nurture here, and we can't really know which came first. There are definite anatomical differences, for sure. Brain scans prove that. But in the west, there is also a societal expectation for the man to be strong, quiet and in control. Which came first? Who knows and who cares. We can only deal with it as it is. Also, you *are* assuming that your man, during his "quiet time" is reflecting, and he probably is, based on your accounts. And then he comes to you to deal with his emotions *in his own way*. That is communication and openness. What if he wasn't? What if he never processed his thoughts and feelings on his own, and never came to you for support? And to be clear, that looking for support doesn't mean coming to talk. It could mean coming for physical affection. Or whatever else. I never once said that I want my husband to communicate with me in the same way that I communicate with him. But I do want him to communicate with me and to connect with me. Do you see the difference?
  • JuneBPrice
    Options
    If you stop trying to force them to 'open up' and just let them know you're there IF they want to talk, they'll be much more willing to come to you. Just my experience in life and in books.
    This is why I'm currently single.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

"I don't assume he has that capability...I just waited and saw. He went to his mental man-cave initially and came out when he was ready. Had he lacked it, my trying to force it wouldn't have helped at all anyway."

I've been waiting and seeing for 5 years. Then I've tried to talk to him about it, we were both agreeing that something had to be done but we didn't know what. So now we are getting outside perspective. In your previous statements, there appears to be an interpretation of forcing or badgering on my part, which leads me to believe that you have a completely inaccurate view of the relationship dynamic I am describing. There was no force involved at any point, no nagging, nothing of the sort. We're trying to meet each other's needs even better that we already are, and didn't quite know how to go about it on our own.

"I can understand if a man really has anxiety because his emotional constipation is eating away at him, but in many cases, they are simply quiet and reflective whereas women are vocal and relative. Like you said--evolution. It's not just societal norms that create differences in males and females. It is actual brain anatomy. Perhaps I look at things differently as a physiologist and Taoist. To me, pain comes from wishing things were different. Instead I accept them or move on if they are absolutely contrary to my values. If my man wants quiet reflective time, I respect that, and I feel no different about our relationship because of it."

We're talking about nature v. nurture here, and we can't really know which came first. There are definite anatomical differences, for sure. Brain scans prove that. But in the west, there is also a societal expectation for the man to be strong, quiet and in control. Which came first? Who knows and who cares. We can only deal with it as it is. Also, you *are* assuming that your man, during his "quiet time" is reflecting, and he probably is, based on your accounts. And then he comes to you to deal with his emotions *in his own way*. That is communication and openness. What if he wasn't? What if he never processed his thoughts and feelings on his own, and never came to you for support? And to be clear, that looking for support doesn't mean coming to talk. It could mean coming for physical affection. Or whatever else. I never once said that I want my husband to communicate with me in the same way that I communicate with him. But I do want him to communicate with me and to connect with me. Do you see the difference?

That makes more sense. Initially it sounded like you were looking for verbal communication because you were discussing opinions.

I have been with a man who wouldn't express any emotions. I left. He ended up with someone who apparently didn't mind. *shrug* I think I have an easy time of things these days because I don't stick with things that don't vibe with me on important levels. Instead of trying to change things I let the things change around me until they're good things and I keep them. So my experience is coming from a different place since I have been fortunate to have been found by a person who is someone I can fully accept.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options

That makes more sense. Initially it sounded like you were looking for verbal communication because you were discussing opinions.

I have been with a man who wouldn't express any emotions. I left. He ended up with someone who apparently didn't mind. *shrug* I think I have an easy time of things these days because I don't stick with things that don't vibe with me on important levels. Instead of trying to change things I let the things change around me until they're good things and I keep them. So my experience is coming from a different place since I have been fortunate to have been found by a person who is someone I can fully accept.

Your language about "fully accepting" someone troubles me, perhaps it was just an unfortunate choice of words on your part. Loving someone so much that you want to understand them better and make them happy doesn't mean you're not accepting them. Also, I don't know how long you've been in your current relationship, but it has been my experience that these kinds of incongruities between partners happen in every relationship eventually, and don't speak to the "compatibility" between partners. They're just a fact of life because we're all individuals. The key is love and understanding, a mutual desire for personal growth, as well as putting your ego aside when it's time to get some outside perspective.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Your language about "fully accepting" someone troubles me, perhaps it was just an unfortunate choice of words on your part. Loving someone so much that you want to understand them better and make them happy doesn't mean you're not accepting them. Also, I don't know how long you've been in your current relationship, but it has been my experience that these kinds of incongruities between partners happen in every relationship eventually, and don't speak to the "compatibility" between partners. They're just a fact of life because we're all individuals. The key is love and understanding, a mutual desire for personal growth, as well as putting your ego aside when it's time to get some outside perspective.

No, those were the words I meant. I am cognizant that he and I will both change and I accept that too. Without change there's no room for growth. Without ego there is infinite room.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options
    So how do you explain it when the shoe is on the other foot? One of the biggest reasons why me and my ex broke up is because we had this problem, but with the gender roles in reverse.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    We shop for groceries together and I always ask him if there is anything he wants or would like to have for dinner etc.
    He doesn't have any suggestions and doesn't pick out anything for himself. Then he eats Everything!
    I go to have a sandwich and all the lunch meat is gone, so is all the yogurt, fruit, Weight Watcher ice cream bars, salad fixings. There's a jar of olives left!
    He is underweight. the doctor told him to gain 10 pounds, but all he eats is the stuff I bought for myself, especially if its fat free, low fat, vegetarian or Weight Watchers. I keep telling him to pick out some food for himself! What is his problem?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    So how do you explain it when the shoe is on the other foot? One of the biggest reasons why me and my ex broke up is because we had this problem, but with the gender roles in reverse.

This is why I kept saying 'individuals' and pointing out that there's nothing sexist about it. Generally speaking, males are one way and females are another. But there are certainly exceptions and my bottom line was that a person's need for quiet reflection isn't any less important than their spouse's need for emotional communication.
  • JuneBPrice
    Options

This is why I kept saying 'individuals' and pointing out that there's nothing sexist about it. Generally speaking, males are one way and females are another. But there are certainly exceptions and my bottom line was that a person's need for quiet reflection isn't any less important than their spouse's need for emotional communication.
    I wasn't trying to say it was sexist. I was just asking, how do you suppose that this problem arises in reverse given that he and I have brains that match our gender and are raised in this society to fit certain roles? (Sorry if this has been less than coherent, I haven't slept in over 24 hours. Don't ask.)
  • akaporn
    akaporn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    C'mon... Not all the man are like that. Let me see I would I do. Again, Being an engineer, I'll go with the analytical approach an keeping track of the score. I'll try to do my best and not missing a thing.

GUYS (HUSBAND/BOYFRIEND/MALE PARTNER)! IT"LL BE FUN TO EVALUATE YOURSELF THROUGH THIS LIST AS WELL. BEING A PARTNER IS A RESPONSIBILITY, NOT A PRIVILEGE.

(0/1) He leaves the toilet seat UP!!
    > Not me we have a cat in the house.

(0/2) When he opens a cupboard, he forgets how to shut it I guess!
    > Always shut

(0/3) Flushes before he is done so OF COURSE theres pee in the toilet still.
    > Nope, Always pee like a girl (sitting down, too lazy to aim)

(0.5/4) Strips down to his boxers and dumps all the clothes on the floor
    Nope, undress at the laundry machine walk naked around the house. -Deduct 0.5 point

(0.5/5) Doesn't give enough time to get ready- when he is ready to go do something he just grabs his keys and says let's go
    Communication, All I have to do is let her know in advance, right... EASY ONE

(0.5/ ) screw lids & caps on tightly. sometimes they just rest on the bottle or jar.
    Nope, This is another easy one.. I'm not even gonna count it.

(1/6) "lets things 'soak' " which is just manspeak for making a science experiment in the sink.
    Yep, did those. But, never ever overnight. .. (Can I at least save 0.5 point? Please)

(1/7) stomps all over the kitchen in his work boots and tracks dirt everywhere.
    Nope, 'cos I'm the one cleaning the house.

takes his clothes off upstairs and throws them down to the next level =Same as #4

(1/8) He will dawdle along until we have 20 minutes to be somewhere and then he gets ready.
    Nope, Grandpa is a train operator. Always on schedule.

(1/8) He repeats himself over and over. Drives me NUTS !
    That's spacial... Let's just don't count this one.

he'll throw his jeans/belt on the floor, then when i wake up on the middle of the night =See #4

Not exist. == I'm here (kidding)

(1/9) Im gonna stop and get something to drink. Really? You cant wait till we get to our already late destination?
    Nope, water bottle everywhere I go.. But, pee every 1/2 Hr, though..

We have closet for a reason and that is where clothes should be! There are still clothes on the bar stools at all times. = another #4

(1.5/10) Complains/groans/moans about a head cold but tells me to suck it up if I have one
    I only do it just to grab her attention... Let's agree with 0.5 point

(1.5/11). He compliments me when I do the house work or yard work, but never jumps in to help, just watches
    Easy one, I do all the above. It's a man job. Good exercise.

(2.5/12) The only thing I can think of is he blows his nose in the shower UGH!!!
    Got me on this one... That's why I gave her the master bathroom and I use the third one (We do reserve the 2nd one for our guest)

"Delay Fish". He's never ever EVER EVERRRR even remotely close to on time, unless I'm right behind him, forcing him to not get distracted. see #8

(3.5/13) Although my biggest one is that he chews ice. C.A.N.T S.T.A.N.D I.T!!!
    Guilty.. But, what's wrong with that???

(3.5/14) Mine forgets to flush! Every time I walk into a bathroom and see the pee sitting in there,
    Not guilty But, It's my bathroom! I already gave you the big one == wow, this is getting tougher than I thought.

(3.5/15) And he does the eternal male thing- makes believe he's listening, but never heard a word I say. Then he will ask me to prepeat myself over and over.
    I love to hear whatever she has in mind... It bugs me BIG time but, she's always right 99%

(4.5/16) Has NO SHAME farting when we're laying down and thinks it's hysterical.
    I did that... no comment

(5.5/17) Chews on random things all the time, like pen caps etc...
    Guilty

(5.5/18). Always thinks he's right. Always. (He's not!)
    see #15

I understand guys fart.. but do they HAVE to fart ALL the TIME? I mean, I lean in for a sweet kiss... BAM.
    WHILE eating dinner....BAM.. In bed..BAM.. ANYTIME he is just standing there.. BAM..
    YES, WE DO... BAM

(5.5/19) Is the table where your hat, wallet, and keys go as soon as you step in the door?
    Grew up with a half-blinded grandpa teach me things got to be in their places.

(6/20) He forgets that women like to be thanked for things they do for their partner. This is big, I feel like appreciation is needed SOMETIMES.
    Always give her compliments.. Still nowhere near enough. So I'll gladly split the point on this one.

My biggest one is he rolls his socks off inside out and he wears these heavy work boots and they are all sweaty--- and I have to wash them!!
    See #4 I do my laundry, hers, everything except her undies... Have no idea how to deal with delicate stuffs..

OCD who doesn't flush? This is my first one.

(7/21) My husband insists that I drive us everywhere (partly because I have a shiny new car, mostly because he's lazy), and then while I'm driving at his behest, he b!tches about how I drive and what route I choose to take!
    I drive to work 100mi/day. My gf appreciate that. I did complain. But only when she breaks the law (Stop signs, speed zone, changing lane) Regarding the route, What's the deal with the girl and her GPS??? It's a machine. It's stupid most of the time.

(7/22) I hear you on the "I love you" thing. We just had an argument last night and that was included. He thinks I should just know...but instead I doubt because he doesn't bother telling me.
    Every morning before i leave, every evening when I got home, Every night because I always go to bed earlier... I tried my best. I'm not giving you guys any point on this one.

My husband does his own laundry, does all the grocery shopping, cooks our meals, cleans our house, packs my lunches, cleans his own bathroom, tells me he loves several times a day.....pet peeves? None. Sometimes I wonder if he's really a human being. LOL
    SEE!!!! We EXIST!!!!

(7/23) several-day silent treatment
    Always initiate the discussion. Very important

(7/24) If we pull up to the house, and mine has to pee, he doesnt go inside the house... thats too far... he pees on the bush. REALLY?
    Eww!

(7/25) PUT DEODERANT ON EVERYDAY! I DONT CARE IF YOU ARE OFF WORK RIGHT NOW OR NOT.
    My gf hates perfumey stuffs. Quitted putting them on 15 years ago.. Lucky that I don't have bad smell except after the workout.

(7/26) May I please have a cup of coffee?" or "Please pour me some Coke" Should he not be the one pouring me some Tab or maybe offer me some tea? Shame I think it but I never moan because he really works hard and can do with a little nap after a hard day:)
    Gentleman shouldn't be asking the ladies to do that. That's just how I was brought up. Get a Thai guy. and you won't have this problem.

Blah Blah Blah....

(8/27) He uses our dining room table to store his outerwear, bags and general crap when there is a hall closet 2 feet away!
    Guilty ONCE. Learn a big lesson from it. My dog ate my chocolate... Almost lose her. went to IKEA and got a closet just for my stuffs. Will never happen again

(8/28) "hun....do we have peanut butter?"
    It's my kitchen. It's my domain. I dictate where things are.

(8/29) One thing that does bother me is that he will never discuss politics with me.
    Find some common thing that you both passionate about and discuss!... I would love to discuss soccer with my girl as well. For her, there are only two people in the world playing soccer.. David Beckham and Christiano Ronaldo... Mam, they need 11 players in a team!

(8/30) Brings drinks up to the bedroom each night and never brings the cups down. After 3-5 accumulate, I take them all down.
    Bedroom is for two activities only. We can both continue in the kitchen if we are thirsty after the first round.

(8/31) He can never make a decision about anything! Where we're going to eat, what movie we're going to see... He always wants me to pick. But then everything I choose is wrong. Ugh, drives me crazy.
    I pick the restaurant she pick the food then we share. We got Netflic no problem there.

(8/32) He is so picky! I swear, I can't get him to eat anything.
    That's why I cook

He won't feed our baby. Says she doesn't like it when he holds the bottle. Mhm.
    No baby.

(9/33) He does not answer his mother so I have to
    YEP, WHOA! That's your JOB! Protecting me from my MOM....!!!!

There you go girls... My take on your issues. Pretty good eye-opening discovery for me for sure... Very fun indeed.
  • jkimmett
    jkimmett Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My husband works very hard for us and works long days so I really hate to ***** about him, lol. BUT. He things he does that annoy me most are his sabatoging of my weight loss success. We always used to share a bucket of ice cream, or go for a pizza run at 10:00 at night, that kind of thing. Well I don't do that anymore, so he brings home ice cream or chocolate and knows I have a really hard time resisting but he brings it home anyway. It used to be the way he showed me he cared but now it drives me crazy. Now he says its for the kids and brings them home candy and crap food. I am trying so hard to be a good role model and feed them healthy foods, it just drives me nuts!
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love my husband to death, but I swear I will wind up killing him one day because I will get too sick of finding DIRTY SOCKS in random places all over the house.

He just kicks them off wherever he happens to be. I've found them in the couch cushions, tangled up in the sheets in our bed, on top of the coffee table in the living room...this morning I found a pair in the corner underneath the kitchen table! *head explodes*
  • maden2629
    maden2629 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hate watching movies with mine. He's always pausing it every 5 to 10 minutes because he thinks he needs to explain the movie to me or to anyone else that is watching it. Same with tv series that are on dvds. Drives me nuts.