PSU Punishment...

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Appropriate or not?

$60,000,000 fine
4 year bowl ban
Scholarships lost

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/23/us/pennsylvania-penn-state-ncaa/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(to all my PSU friends on here, I'm sorry. This sucks)

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    don't forget negating the wins from 1998-2011. that i think is the hardest part of the punishment. everything else seems fair.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    They covered up child abuse! Child rape! They deserve much worse!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    don't forget negating the wins from 1998-2011. that i think is the hardest part of the punishment. everything else seems fair.

This. Jaw dropping.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't think the Bowl ban is near long enough. Ohio State gets 1 year for signing some merchandise and PSU gets 4 for this? It should have been way longer.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The saddest, most ironic part of this whole disaster.

This was kept secret in order to protect the PSU/Joe Pa legacy. And of course the cover up undid it all.
    There is no winner in this ordeal.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Should have been much, much worse.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

the people that covered that up and were involved with it deserve much worse. the football program should also be properly punished. The death penalty would affect far too many people that were not involved with the scandal whose livelihood depends on the football program.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Even as a Penn State alum, I'm fine with the punishment handed down. Obviously no amount of punishment would undo all of the evil and moral failings of the situation, but I believe that the punishment is certainly harsh enough that it will serve as a reminder that a university needs to maintain institutional control.

I'm excited for a new era with Bill O'Brien and four years without a bowl means that it effectively means that, by that fifth year, there won't be a single player on the team that was recruited by Paterno et. al--they will all be Coach O'Brien's recruits. So he basically has a four-year wash on results.

Of course, the loss of scholarships will hurt the football program far more than the $60M fine.

Not only that, but all wins between 1998-2011 were vacated, so Joe Paterno is no longer the winningest coach in college football history. You know, technically. Barry Bonds is still remembered as the all-time home run leader, even if it is tainted with steroid usage. Eric ****erson, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, and Chris Johnson may have rushed for 2000 yards in a season, but O.J. Simpson was the only one to do it in 14 games. And Pete Rose is still baseball's all-time hits leader and has been a part of more winningest player/manager in MLB history.

It's pretty crazy to think that the death penalty would've almost been preferable. The saddest part about the whole thing is that there are some people that did not care enough about being a Nittany Lion as I do.
    -wtk
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options

the people that covered that up and were involved with it deserve much worse. the football program should also be properly punished. The death penalty would affect far too many people that were not involved with the scandal whose livelihood depends on the football program.

I agree with this but unfortunately they committed these crimes while representing PSU.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options

This.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think it was too much, IMO.The people who did the damage doesn't play football. The losers regardless is the kids who were raped and the kids who will never achieve there dreams at Penn State.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This was kept secret in order to protect the PSU/Joe Pa legacy. And of course the cover up undid it all.

This exactly. If the football program hadn't been more important than doing what's right... I'm sickened by how many people view JoePa as a hero still. He committed a heinous crime by ignoring what was going on. If it had been Professor So-and-so from the Physics department who turned a blind eye to abuse, would anyone be in an uproar?

But it sucks for the athletes currently attending PSU, and unless that $60mil goes to those who were abused... what does any of it change?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    As far as NCAA sanctions go, this was severe. The NCAA was in a bit of a no win situation here, as it is hard to punish in such a sensitive situation. Past NCAA football scandals (SMU in the 1980s, USC in the 2000s and Ohio State recently) were more competition and improper benefits related, whereas this was the coverup of an atrocious crime.

I like the vacating of wins from Paterno's record and his statue being removed (not part of the NCAA sanction).

Penn State football is going to be sent backwards for many years.

Still, I feel that there's no way that this effectively compensates the victims of a pedophile effectively. Then again, that is more of the job of the legal system than the NCAA. The victims of Jerry Sandusky are going to have lifelong anguish, whereas the Penn State football program only suffers for a stated period of 4 years. In reality, it will be longer as it can be argued that SMU never recovered from their 1980s penalties as it took them more than 2 decades to reach a bowl game again, and when they did, it was one of those minor, watered down bowl games.
  • Hawkian
    Hawkian Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I have to agree, I'd even accept and welcome harsher punishments than those instituted on the forthcoming side (fines, bowl bans, etc.); but the negation of the football wins makes little sense to me. How does this scandal make the wins of those games illegitimate? I suppose I don't oppose Joe having his title stripped from him, but it seems a bizarre punishment that primarily targets the players on the team rather than the administration.
  • superman149
    Options
    they definitely could have (should have) got worse!
    also, i sure hope some of that $60M is going to charity for sexual abuse or something like that!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    May this be a stark reminder to any college football team to cover something like this up... and don't tell me that these punishments affect the innocent... covering up abuse for the sake of football affected innocents in much worse ways than what PSU is going to have to deal with.

ETA: and in my opinion, those that covered up the crime were just as bad as Jerry Sandusky... they might as well have been in the room with him.
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

This exactly. If the football program hadn't been more important than doing what's right... I'm sickened by how many people view JoePa as a hero still. He committed a heinous crime by ignoring what was going on. If it had been Professor So-and-so from the Physics department who turned a blind eye to abuse, would anyone be in an uproar?

But it sucks for the athletes currently attending PSU, and unless that $60mil goes to those who were abused... what does any of it change?

According to CNN the $60million will be going to victims of se*ual abuse (sorry at work) which is a good thing. However, IMHO regardless of what has been handed down they (all of the people involved) covered up heinous crimes for longer than a decade!! It's not just about NCAA rules it's about common sense and your duty as human being to speak up for those that cant and to report situations just like this one!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem if it was worse, but I don't think it's too much, no.

The problem here is not that the abuse happened, but that people in power covered it up and enabled it. Just like the Catholic Church. No one seems bothered by the huge settlements in lawsuits against the church, why would you be bothered by this? It's the same exact situation.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think it was appropriate. I love Penn State football but when people are stupid they deserve to be punished. They didn't ban them from football so there will be Penn State football this year, a big plus. It will be hard for the players but the football fans will support the team.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Something are bigger then football....