PSU Punishment...

Options

Replies

• ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The innocent get punished all the time, e.g. Sandusky's victims, that PSU allowed to be victimized on premises so I really couldn't care any less if they had shut the football program down indefinitely. Personally I think they should shut the entire school down, yes thousands will be affected but I believe it would deter any institution from allowing such a heinous crime to go unreported ever again. And all the JoePa supporters sicken me when they talk about his legacy, guess what, if I was rich and donated all my money to the sick and poor but was a serial killer on the side I don't think you could say I was a "good guy".
  • flicker1991
    Options
    I think the punishment was correct...the only thing I may have changed is allow them to go to bowls, but take the university take, plus any take they get from other Big 10 schools going to bowls and give to charity....this would keep current players from being punished, plus generate revenue for the charities and keep the university from seeing the mioney
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think that Penn State got off easy with this one...I think although the punishment is a step in the right direction...It could have and should have been much worse.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Def appropriate! The "win" and the "reputation" corrupted all of their morals and that's not what a University is supposed to be about! If anything I thinks it's a little lenient!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Something are bigger then football....

Very true.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    They covered up child abuse! Child rape! They deserve much worse!

the people that covered that up and were involved with it deserve much worse. the football program should also be properly punished. The death penalty would affect far too many people that were not involved with the scandal whose livelihood depends on the football program.

I feel like firing the individuals in the cover up and slapping them all with hefty fines would be more appropriate. Why punish the program-punish the ones who were responsible, not the whole school.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    While I know very little about the situation as a whole, this punishment seems to penalise current and future students more than those who might reasonably have been believed to be involved/to have turned a blind eye. The removal of scholarships in particular will make it very, very hard for some student athletes to complete their education, which seems unjust to me.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with the fine and Joe losing some wins; but I think the 4-yr death penalty is too much. Everyone involved with this is gone from the University. Now I think the Big 10 is going to do some extra punishing. This could be the end of Penn St Football. SMU still has not recovered from the death penalty and it's been 25 years. I think they're going to let the players transfer but I think they're punishing the wrong people.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    While I know very little about the situation as a whole, this punishment seems to penalise current and future students more than those who might reasonably have been believed to be involved/to have turned a blind eye. The removal of scholarships in particular will make it very, very hard for some student athletes to complete their education, which seems unjust to me.

The NCAA stipulated that any student athletes already under scholarship can keep said scholarships as long as they stay acedemically elligible, this just pertains to new scholarships for the next 4 years.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm good with punishing the program, I'm not good with recourse that would hurt the players. The whole thing is utterly heartbreaking to me. What happened to those boys, the fact that anyone would think that it was a good idea to keep it quiet, the fact that anyone would in good conscious not taken care of the situation at the time and would allow it to continue, the fact that there would be any denial when shtf, the fact that there is a legacy of cover up. I’m good with anything that doesn’t take away from the players that went through that program, they weren’t a part of it all.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Everyone involved with this is gone from the University.

But the environment, the "cover it up for the sake of the program" mentality, all of that remains. You could have put different people in the same situation and it probably would have still happened because of the money and power and hero worship. If you punish the people but leave the program intact and whole, then the message won't get through the same way.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    Just like the punishment impacts the innocent, there is also an undeserving winner. Bobby Bowden. This scumbag is now the winningest coach of all time. :sick:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Got to hit them where it hurts. The only thing I am sorry about is that some people may lose the opportunity for a scholarship because of Penn State's cover up.

I don't care how much of an icon Paterno was, if he helped cover up even 1 instance of abuse, he deserves the bad shame and conmsternation being handed down. If he were alive, he should be punished.

Being a great coach does not forgive his actions. Unfortunately, the blame probably runs much broader than reported.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In light of being flamed for my comments....

An investigative report by the FBI totaling 267 pages of reported sexual abuse at the hands of J.S,. while many people in Penn State looked the other way thinking it would 'go away' because the team was performing. Employees, coaches, trainers, aides, janitors, Administrative and 'high ups' in college had knowledge and did nothing...for years. The former director of the FBI reported that he was sickened and shocked at the repeated offenses that were swept the out of way while the 'winningest couch performed' for the crowds. Someone witnesses a horrifying rape and others have knowledge of a crime being committed, and the only thing done is a series of emails that were sent back and forth to 'handle it inside the walls of the campus' to not involve officials....??.

If this involved your child, brother, nephew, or grandchild would you think the sanctions were enough?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just like the punishment impacts the innocent, there is also an undeserving winner. Bobby Bowden. This scumbag is now the winningest coach of all time. :sick:

Ugh.

I don't really follow football much, but I live in Tallahassee. When Bowden was forced to retire, he threw a temper tantrum. He has no class.
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    inapropriate
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    They all deserve jail!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    IMHO feels like they care more about punishing the football program then the one's who let this happen in the 1st place,what they should do is replace anyone who is still working there when this happened and knew and tried to cover it up! Why punish the players and make them go to a different school just because some people who were supposed to be responsible adults didn't do what they knew morally they were supposed to do.Seems like the punishment is aimed more towards the football aspect than this being a child sexual abuse case!
  • rml_16
    Options
    IMHO feels like they care more about punishing the football program then the one's who let this happen in the 1st place.

They let it happen BECAUSE of the football program.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    don't forget negating the wins from 1998-2011. that i think is the hardest part of the punishment. everything else seems fair.

Go 'Noles....... too soon...?

But seriously, situations like this are what happens when you put winning football games above anything else....