• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    inapropriate
    how so?
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    IMHO feels like they care more about punishing the football program then the one's who let this happen in the 1st place.

They let it happen BECAUSE of the football program.

The PLAYERS did not let this happen and that's who's getting punished was my point!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    In light of being flamed for my comments....

An investigative report by the FBI totaling 267 pages of reported sexual abuse at the hands of J.S,. while many people in Penn State looked the other way thinking it would 'go away' because the team was performing. Employees, coaches, trainers, aides, janitors, Administrative and 'high ups' in college had knowledge and did nothing...for years. The former director of the FBI reported that he was sickened and shocked at the repeated offenses that were swept the out of way while the 'winningest couch performed' for the crowds. Someone witnesses a horrifying rape and others have knowledge of a crime being committed, and the only thing done is a series of emails that were sent back and forth to 'handle it inside the walls of the campus' to not involve officials....??.

If this involved your child, brother, nephew, or grandchild would you think the sanctions were enough?

Honestly, if this were my child I'd want recourse against each individual. As it's not my child I don't know how I'd feel about the fact that a "program" is protecting the liability of the indiviual actions people decided to take. Each individual person with knowledge made their own decision to dig that grave, they should be laying it in together. It should be coming out of their pockets, their reputations, their personal future potential. There can't ever be winners here, just a bunch of ****ing losers no matter how you look at it.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Just like the punishment impacts the innocent, there is also an undeserving winner. Bobby Bowden. This scumbag is now the winningest coach of all time. :sick:

wow.. :noway:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    they definitely could have (should have) got worse!
    also, i sure hope some of that $60M is going to charity for sexual abuse or something like that!

I heard it was going to a fund for victims of sexual abuse amoung other charitable things.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    one of the girls i graduated high school with has a son who was given a 4 year full ride football scholarship, and just entering his freshman year... how is this fair to him? he did nothing wrong and now he is totally screwed.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My sister will be attending PSU in the fall so maybe that's why I have a certain view. I feel this punishes the students more than the administration. It doesn't seem fair to not let them play in bowls for the next four years. What about all the football players there who aren't even allowed to transfer immediately, there are careers on the line here. It is too student focused I think and not enough on the administration.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    IMHO feels like they care more about punishing the football program then the one's who let this happen in the 1st place.

They let it happen BECAUSE of the football program.

The PLAYERS did not let this happen and that's who's getting punished was my point!!

Of course not. But without the players, there is no football or money to protect in the first place.

I can pretty much guarantee that any football player at Penn State right now who was headed to the NFL will still get there. None of them are losing their scholarships and any up and coming players will just go elsewhere.

If the program doesn't get hurt in this, then the incentive for the next group of admins and coaches to NOT cover up something like this won't be there. And there won't be much to deter other schools from doing the same. The lesson is to NOT cover up a scandal because the consequences to the program will be worse than if you out it.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    Just like the punishment impacts the innocent, there is also an undeserving winner. Bobby Bowden. This scumbag is now the winningest coach of all time. :sick:

wow.. :noway:

You seriously can't be too shocked. The classless Bowden has been living on ESPN since the report came out offering his opinion as to what should happen to Paterno. As I read on another message board, this jerk is probably having a party at his house.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Part of me thinks the NCAA did this to seem more important. If they show the same teeth with Miami and the whole Shapiro mess (big time example of LOI) then I'd feel better.

Think the penalties are fine, especially since they said all Penn State players may transfer without penalty AND they don't count against their new school's scholarship total. Also per NCAA "Any entering or returning football student-athlete will be allowed to immediately transfer and will be eligible to immediately compete at the transfer institution, provided he is otherwise eligible. Any football student-athlete who wants to remain at the University may retain his athletic grant-in-aid, as long as he meets and maintains applicable academic requirements, regardless of whether he competes on the football team."

The Death Penalty would've punished other sports since it's an ENTIRE school thing, whereas this is actually worse because it's football specific and lasts longer than the now-infamous SMU death penalty, which I believe was 3 years? With the Death Penalty they can't put in as many sanctions, so this actually is worse.

Waiting to see what the Big 10 now does. Some rumors are that they might toss PSU out of the Big 10 but most are saying that's not true. We'll see.

If I'm these kids, I work out, study for a year, then treat the year like free agency and go find somewhere good to play. Right now most teams are set but they might find a few takers.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options
    one of the girls i graduated high school with has a son who was given a 4 year full ride football scholarship, and just entering his freshman year... how is this fair to him? he did nothing wrong and now he is totally screwed.

He can transfer.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My sister will be attending PSU in the fall so maybe that's why I have a certain view. I feel this punishes the students more than the administration. It doesn't seem fair to not let them play in bowls for the next four years. What about all the football players there who aren't even allowed to transfer immediately, there are careers on the line here. It is too student focused I think and not enough on the administration.

The current players are allowed to transfer without penalty.
  • couponfun
    Options

Per the NCAA all players are allowed to leave immediately and without penalty. :flowerforyou:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You know who I'd like to see punished? The parents of the first victims, who knew their child had been abused, that didn't report the abuse to the police. They could've just as easily prevented the later cases as JoPa. They didn't, and now, years later, they are getting monetary rewards. That is just as sick in my opinion.
  • couponfun
    Options
    For those who want to read up on the details so far...here's the NCAA link

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/20120723/21207232
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    They covered up child abuse! Child rape! They deserve much worse!

^^ABSOLUTELY THIS!!!^^
    IT TOTALLY PISSES ME OFF (language, sorry) THAT PEOPLE ARE SO OUTRAGED BY THE REVOKING OF WINS IN A DAMN GAME (& I love football) OVER THE COVER-UP OF WHAT HAPPENED TO THOSE CHILDREN! I havr sympathy for the young en who play there now, its a hard pill to swallow, but you cant hide or ignore what was done by this prigram. Id be transferring (to Purdue. lol)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You know who I'd like to see punished? The parents of the first victims, who knew their child had been abused, that didn't report the abuse to the police. They could've just as easily prevented the later cases as JoPa. They didn't, and now, years later, they are getting monetary rewards. That is just as sick in my opinion.

Agreed.

Weren't these kids all from dysfunctional homes, too (well, more than the usual dysfunction)? Perfect victims and easily bought-off parents.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

It's not fair to him.
    Life goes on, I guarantee he will be just fine...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

He can transfer.

Yes, but who's going to offer him a deal at this point? Summer training camps are set to start, teams are in place, enrollment is complete for classes. Who has another full ride in their budget?
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot of details about this situation, so excuse my ignorance, why are they removing scholarships?

it punishes the program further. kids won't play where they can't go for free or near-free. this ensures that the team won't get the best players for the next 4 years, and it'll take probably a decade to rebuild to get a good team.

i wish that the hit were bigger. i also wish that there were a way to single out the ppl who were accessories to these henious crimes before/during/after the fact. but OTOH i wish there were a way to NOT punish the innocent with them. there are a lot of innocents who will be hurt with this too. i understand that the action has to be huge and sweeping... but there are a lot of ppl who had nothing to do with what happened who are also going to be affected.

edited b/c i cannot spell today