PSU Punishment...

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I find it funny how people are saying this was unfair. Somebodys kids for abused....SERIOUSLY? Sports fan sometimes disgust me

The strikes removed were more than fair. The fine was too little considering that the university made more than that in a year of PROFIT. The players might be victims but they'll either move on to a different college or I'm sure will be taken care of financially so no biggie. I wish they could have thrown in a death sentence to those involved.

I do like the tone in the minds of some of the fans though. "Child abuse is wrong...as long as it doesn't hurt me watching a game!"
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It comes down to this. All current players with scholarships get to keep them. They can also transfer to Universities who can still participate in Bowls. And there are Universities out there who would welcome transfers.

The punishment may seem to be affecting the players more than the program but you have to look at it like this.

Less scholarships means less top end recruits they can get. It punishes the program.
    No Bowls means there are high school candidates right now who will not go to PSU because of the lack of Bowl status. That punishes the program completely.
    The wins being stripped is in direct response to the coverup. By not displaying the sportsmanlike qualities they violated the NCAA standards and rules and thus were ineligible for those wins. Its no different than if he had doped up his students. He violated NCAA rules and thus his wins are ineligible.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Not. This is punishing PLAYERS for illegal behaviors of coaches. Those students did nothing wrong, and the ones who are already at or committed to PSU did nothing wrong. I also don't think it is appropriate for the NCAA to dole out punishment for illegal activities not related to sports, that is what the judicial system is for.

how is this NOT related to sports? the football program covered up child rape in order to maintain a competitive advantage. this exactly the kind of thing the NCAA needs to punish. it also makes other schools think twice about doing the same thing.

as for current student athletes they are allowed to transfer right now without penalty.

No, covering this up doesn't maintain a competitive advantage. It maintained the public image of the program, but had nothing to do with the way that football was played. The coach in question was removed from his coaching position pretty much immediately after his superiors found out, although he was allowed to stay in a non-coaching position at the university.

do you know how football recruiting works? if this had come out their recruiting would have taken a serious hit. that is why it was covered up. therefore preserving their competitive advantage. and like you said...they allowed him to still be part of the program knowing he rapes kids. this is the definition of "lack of institutional control".
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Not. This is punishing PLAYERS for illegal behaviors of coaches. Those students did nothing wrong, and the ones who are already at or committed to PSU did nothing wrong. I also don't think it is appropriate for the NCAA to dole out punishment for illegal activities not related to sports, that is what the judicial system is for.

how is this NOT related to sports? the football program covered up child rape in order to maintain a competitive advantage. this exactly the kind of thing the NCAA needs to punish. it also makes other schools think twice about doing the same thing.

as for current student athletes they are allowed to transfer right now without penalty.

No, covering this up doesn't maintain a competitive advantage. It maintained the public image of the program, but had nothing to do with the way that football was played. The coach in question was removed from his coaching position pretty much immediately after his superiors found out, although he was allowed to stay in a non-coaching position at the university.

Actually, the "public image" of a school is exactly what would attract talent, which translates to wins on the field, which translates to money/prestige for the university. If this had happened to a history professor, do you honestly think there would've been a cover up? Or if it was an English professor? Or even the rowing coach or any other lower-tier entity of the school?

No. This was done because it was football, and football is the cash cow for most programs. The "prestige" of PSU, the "prestige and mystique" of Joe Paterno, how much of a father figure he was, and even though he was removed, the connections between Penn State and Sandusky's charity (they can claim "look at our community service") are EXACTLY what they'd be peddling to parents of recruits they want to get into the school. It was that facade that they wanted to keep at all costs, and that's why the hammer is falling today. Was the coach removed? Yes. But it was consistently covered up, over and over, throughout the years.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    I would have closed down the whole PSU football program!

GTFO!
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options

GTFO!
    Better yet close down the whole university.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options

GTFO!

Yeah, this thread just reached the idiotic stage. :ohwell:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

GTFO!

Yeah, this thread just reached the idiotic stage. :ohwell:
    Just? Someone suggested the same thing already.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

GTFO!

I know you are being sarcastic but that's the truth, you make the punishment so damned painful no one ever dreams of covering something up like this again. You let all students keep scholarships and attend somewhere else. those that feel it's unfair can cry themselves to sleep, life sucks, man up and get over it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

GTFO!

I know you are being sarcastic but that's the truth, you make the punishment so damned painful no one ever dreams of covering something up like this again. You let all students keep scholarships and attend somewhere else. those that feel it's unfair can cry themselves to sleep, life sucks, man up and get over it.

Penn State is so much more than a football program. You would seriously consider it appropriate to interrupt the education of tens of thousands of students, terminate the employment of thousands of faculty and staff, and interrupt research (including medical research on the scale of millions of dollars) over the mistakes of a football program, which most of those students, faculty, and staff never even participated or watched? Get real. Grow up. Your narrow mindedness is astounding.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    so how long does this keep them down? at least a decade right? or are we talking an SMU type situation where they never really recover?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    so how long does this keep them down? at least a decade right? or are we talking an SMU type situation where they never really recover?

20years.
    Even then they may never recover.
  • Here2GetFit
    Here2GetFit Posts: 292
    Options

20years.

I have never been a Penn State fan, but I expect they will make it to a bowl the first season they are elligible.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options

20years.

I have never been a Penn State fan, but I expect they will make it to a bowl the first season they are elligible.

Not a good bowl. Not being bowl eligible for 4 years means no decent recruit will commit during those 4 years, and after that they won't get the top recruits because the incoming ones know that they will have to carry the team.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    with the scholarships taken away...

I don't think they'll ever recover.

How long ago did SMU recieve a lighter penalty? They JUST finally made it back into a bowl game.

I hope this new coach is very good. Then again people thought USC could take a while to recover as well.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I find it funny how people are saying this was unfair. Somebodys kids for abused....SERIOUSLY? Sports fan sometimes disgust me

The strikes removed were more than fair. The fine was too little considering that the university made more than that in a year of PROFIT. The players might be victims but they'll either move on to a different college or I'm sure will be taken care of financially so no biggie. I wish they could have thrown in a death sentence to those involved.

I do like the tone in the minds of some of the fans though. "Child abuse is wrong...as long as it doesn't hurt me watching a game!"
    To be fair MOST in this thread are saying the punishment was just. Even PSU fans.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    i cant imagine how brutal opposing fans are going to be at the games. all of the signs. pedo bears. i just dont see how any recruit would want to subject themselves to that.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    with the scholarships taken away...

I don't think they'll ever recover.

How long ago did SMU recieve a lighter penalty? They JUST finally made it back into a bowl game.

I hope this new coach is very good. Then again people thought USC could take a while to recover as well.

true but USC is a football mill. they are on a much higher level than PSU and their penalty was a lot less. and of course they werent involved with raping kids.

if i was a student at PSU i'd transfer unless i was a semester or so away from graduating.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    if i was a student at PSU i'd transfer unless i was a semester or so away from graduating.

That's a ridiculous statement. Many programs are unique to colleges and you lose half your credits upon transferring. Who can afford to waste 2 years of college tuition? Not to mention there are people like myself there, doing PhDs, that can't just up and move at a whim.

I think it's a stretch to punish a football program for actions of the coaching staff, but to hold the entire academic establishment responsible is absurd. You put way too much importance on sports at an educational establishment. And this is coming from someone whose love of college football comes in 2nd only to her husband.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Question. I have not been following the Penn State stuff like crazy. I know about Them keeping it secretly. Did any MAJOR people know about this. I don't know how high this went. Who knew. It wouldn't be fair to the football guys if they didn't know. I'm sure the guys who play for Penn State now, who knew nothing ( if possible) about this want to even play for them anymore. Now they have that scar on their records. Even if they knew nothing. Who's going to sign someone from Penn State. I know I am ignorant when it comes to this topic. Sorry. I should pay more attention to what was going on.