Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    *pouty face* I went for a deadlift PB of 90kg (198lbs) but I didn't get it off the floor.

I did power cleans with my trainer for the first time today. I'd been using a 30kg per-loaded bar, and my trainer gave me a higher weight, I did one with good form and then a really ugly one and then my trainer said "drop that" so I dropped it, and it turned out my trainer mis-calculated the weight, he thought it was 40kg but it was actually 60kg.

I was pretty happy with a single 60kg power clean on my first go!! LOL.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    This is my deadlift, 455lbs X 3 Reps.
    I can go higher but doing more weight starts to really feel.. uncomfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghe3Kwa0Ysw

Nice. Love the barefoot action too!

NZ Deevaa: that's an awesome first time power clean!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I'm feeling it today though!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I'm feeling it today though!

I am so jealous that you are doing them. I thought I had found a trainer that could train me but that fell through. You go girl!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    End of the last week of my current cycle before deload week - had a really good week with PBs on three of my main lifts (except for a crappy OHP day).

Bench Press: 105lb x 4 (up 5lb from last week)
    Squat: 165lb x 2 (up 20lb from last week and above my body weight (posted about this one earlier))
    OHP: 175lb x 1 (same weight as last week but less reps ;-( but I was tired and had not eaten much so am not too worried about it)
    Deadlift: 210lb x 4 (up 10lb from last week). My form was actually decent, or at least I think it was, and I felt pretty strong so I am super stoked about this. Nearly there on the 2 big plates.

Very happy with my week all in all. Now I just have to get through deload week - I may sneak in an attempt at a 1RM for deads though, but it will depend on how I feel.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    *pouty face* I went for a deadlift PB of 90kg (198lbs) but I didn't get it off the floor.

I did power cleans with my trainer for the first time today. I'd been using a 30kg per-loaded bar, and my trainer gave me a higher weight, I did one with good form and then a really ugly one and then my trainer said "drop that" so I dropped it, and it turned out my trainer mis-calculated the weight, he thought it was 40kg but it was actually 60kg.

A 60kg powerclean is awesome! Way to go...

I am doing some lower-weight high-rep stuff at the moment because of my pregnancy. In particular was proud of the 10x40kg goodmornings... getting that posterior chain ready for the pushin ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I am doing some lower-weight high-rep stuff at the moment because of my pregnancy. In particular was proud of the 10x40kg goodmornings... getting that posterior chain ready for the pushin ;)

Its great that you are keeping your lifting going through your pregnancy. How long can you lift for?
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Its great that you are keeping your lifting going through your pregnancy. How long can you lift for?

You can lift the whole way, but the types of lifts and the weights will change. e.g. no more full snatches or c&js, but power is ok at the moment. Once my belly is too big I won't be able to do them at all. OHP, flies, goodmornings, triceps, curls etc I can do forever...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You can lift the whole way, but the types of lifts and the weights will change. e.g. no more full snatches or c&js, but power is ok at the moment. Once my belly is too big I won't be able to do them at all. OHP, flies, goodmornings, triceps, curls etc I can do forever...

I can imagine some lifts would be rather awkward. Its great that you can lift all the way though though.
  • nickjnelly
    Options
    This is my deadlift, 455lbs X 3 Reps.
    I can go higher but doing more weight starts to really feel.. uncomfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghe3Kwa0Ysw

Nice. Love the barefoot action too!

HA! thanks - i was wondering if someone was going to catch that....
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I hit 2 PR's today on the DB shoulder press and pullover exercises. I was able to add 10 total lbs to each exercise (5 per DB). Cool. :bigsmile:
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    New PRs today - 530 lbs on the squat, and a single hand overhead dumbbell press of 120 lbs!

I earned my Gatorade today :)
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Bumped up on bench press and the lat pulldowns today.

Previously on bench: 5x185, 6x185 (after warmup of 12x115 & 10x135)
    Previously on pulldown: 10x165, 8x165 (after two warmup sets of 12x115)

Today on bench: 8x185, 7x185 (after two warmup sets of 12x125)
    Today on pulldown: 12x165, 10x165 (same warmups as above)

YEAH! I'm starting to feel new muscle fibers where my pecs meet my sternum ^_^
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    single hand overhead dumbbell press of 120 lbs!

****ing SICK bro! What's your approach to training the OHP?
    YEAH! I'm starting to feel new muscle fibers where my pecs meet my sternum ^_^

Nice dude, keep up the good work. What's your training approach?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    great work here people!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to report; I'm actually taking the prescribed deload week 4 this cycle. Although I did do one max-rep set of dips, 13 consecutive reps at body-weight + 25lbs. I actually worked in my set with this guy that was doing badly performed body weight dips at about 8 per set. :)
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Just started squats in the last two months or so. I've been surprised by how consistently I've been able to add weight to my squat as a noob (5-10 lbs per week on avg). I shoot for 8x8 in principle, but after each bump in weight I tend to start at 8 reps and drop to 5 reps by set 8. As reps climb I throw more weight on the bar. I know many don't consider this volume strength training, but as long as I am getting stronger I'll consider it strength training :wink:

I currently weigh 182 lbs at 5'6" (dropping slowly to a goal around 165 or wherever 9% BF puts me) and just did 8 sets at 205 lbs yesterday. First time over 200 lbs. First squatted my bodyweight 2 weeks ago. Next milestone is 225 lbs just because I want to put two 45 pounders per side. 300 here I come. That'll be close to double my weight when I get there, but I imagine my progress will slow at some point. What's you're experience with this?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I don't have much to report; I'm actually taking the prescribed deload week 4 this cycle. Although I did do one max-rep set of dips, 13 consecutive reps at body-weight + 25lbs. I actually worked in my set with this guy that was doing badly performed body weight dips at about 8 per set. :)

I am on my deload week this week also. Makes you a little antsy even though its a good thing to do. I am going to try to sneak in a 1 RM attempt for deadlifts though which I will only report back on if I don't crash and burn on it.

Great going on the dips.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    New PRs today - 530 lbs on the squat, and a single hand overhead dumbbell press of 120 lbs!

I earned my Gatorade today :)

I think you earned more than the Gatorade!
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    single hand overhead dumbbell press of 120 lbs!
    ****ing SICK bro! What's your approach to training the OHP?

I usually work the barbell or the 2" axle bar for OHP, doing a standing press as far as I can take it, then doing a push press to keep going higher. It's the push press that gets me the most benefits, as I use a push press for the one handed dumbbell (I'm working towards trying to press the Thomas Inch dumbbell).

My technique is similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTHm5gJuxQ