Strength Training PR's - Brag About Your Success

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to report; I'm actually taking the prescribed deload week 4 this cycle. Although I did do one max-rep set of dips, 13 consecutive reps at body-weight + 25lbs. I actually worked in my set with this guy that was doing badly performed body weight dips at about 8 per set. :)

I am on my deload week this week also. Makes you a little antsy even though its a good thing to do. I am going to try to sneak in a 1 RM attempt for deadlifts though which I will only report back on if I don't crash and burn on it.

Great going on the dips.

Yes, the de-loads week often make me anxious about doing it but I actually felt like I needed it this time around. My lower back is starting to be more sore and what not so some light weight and low-volume will help. I'm also traveling on business this week and only have a cheap hotel gym with a Smith Machine and 60lbs in DB's, so it was good timing. I was able to do my squats and bench on Monday before I left, won't be able to DL this week but I'll use the Smith, unfortunately, for shoulder pressing. I did 100 DB swings today for cardio.
    then doing a push press to keep going higher.

That's actually good advice, kind of like doing a shoulder complex I guess. I'll have to try that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to report; I'm actually taking the prescribed deload week 4 this cycle. Although I did do one max-rep set of dips, 13 consecutive reps at body-weight + 25lbs. I actually worked in my set with this guy that was doing badly performed body weight dips at about 8 per set. :)

Those are some nice dips!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Nice dude, keep up the good work. What's your training approach?

As far as bench press itself goes, I've been hitting it Monday/Wednesday/Friday lately, always two sets of 10 or 12 reps at an easy weight for warmup, and two "strength" level sets.

Last week and this week, the "strength" goal has been 4x185, and the two weeks before that were a goal of 8x165. I'm more of less following an example I saw in my ACE Fitness personal trainer manual of a six month cycle someone with a bench max of 200 (the most I have actually maxed at this point has been 205) might use to attain a bench max of 250lbs (which is my goal to hit or surpass).

The strength goals associated with my bench press scheme are:
    2 weeks 8x165 (never failed to hit 8, often hit 10)
    2 weeks 4x185 (never failed to hit 5 so far and have hit 8)
    2 weeks 12x160
    2 weeks 8x180
    2 weeks 4x200
    Rest week with max attempt of 235
    2 weeks 12x175
    2 weeks 8x195
    2 weeks 4x215
    2 weeks 12x185
    2 weeks 8x205
    2 weeks 4x225
    Rest week with max attempt of 255

This is just the bench aspect of my overall scheme, but I think it's a pretty sound progression, and if I can do more reps than what's prescribed, I will do so. Since I don't hit chest on Saturdays or Sundays I am thinking about throwing in a bench press drop-set every Friday or every other Friday after the strength sets - I did that this last weekend and it may be part of why I annihilated the 4 rep goal yesterday.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I squatted 175 today :) very happy about that. Only 20lbs from my goal of 1.5 x body weight!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I squatted 175 today :) very happy about that. Only 20lbs from my goal of 1.5 x body weight!!

That is fantastic and badass all rolled into one!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I agree.

I'm squatting about the same, now all I need to do is lose half my body weight to get to the goal. Ha!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm bringing it back!

This week eating on maintenance, I've hit some pretty bada$$ PRs:

100 lb x3 on Bench
    170 for 3x5 on Squats (more than bodyweight)
    250 for 2x1 Deadlifts!!!! That's over 1.5 x Bodyweight!!!!! Holla!!!
    (before this week, my DL PR was 180lbs x5)

I also made some running PRs both in endurance (8 miles at 9:43 pace) and speed (7:52 for 1 mile). I know this thread isn't about running but I included them for completeness. Maintenance training is AWESOME! So sad to see it go.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I've very jealous of your PR's Beans. You are rocking it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    great progress Bean!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing it back!

100 lb x3 on Bench

I also made some running PRs both in endurance (8 miles at 9:43 pace) and speed (7:52 for 1 mile). I know this thread isn't about running but I included them for completeness. Maintenance training is AWESOME! So sad to see it go.

Total awesomeness and badassery.
  • CHANINE111
    CHANINE111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please add me fitness friends... :flowerforyou:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    As of today - Age 46: 6'3"
    Bench-375 lbs. 1RM 07/22/12
    Bench Burn out set- 225x28 reps 09/01/12
    Bench Burn out set- 275x15
    Incline Bench-340 lbs. 1RM 07/18/12
    Incline Burn out set- 225x20 reps 07/22/12 end of routine
    Squat-425 lbs. 1RM 08/27/12
    Leg press- 1025 lbs for 10 reps
    Dead Lift- 425 lbs. 1RM

Wt 234
    waist 34
    chest 52.25
    biceps 18.5 cold
    neck 18.5
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Uh oh! Big Z is in the House!!!

Super impressive Numbers Big Man.

Beans... as always You always impress with Numbers.... But Slow the hell down on the speed running... i dont want to have to run anytime soon!!!! LMAO
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing it back!

100 lb x3 on Bench

Pretty solid numbers!

You're closing in on my best mile ever, but I could NEVER do eight miles at a 9:43 pace x_x holy cowza.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    age 38
    wt 145ish

9/28
    squat: 265lbsx5 275lbsx1(sixth set)
    leg press: 455lbsx5, 495lbsx1(sixth set)

9/27
    bench press: 170lbsx5(sixth set)

9/26
    standing military press: 110lbsx2(fifth set)
    barbell shrug: 265lbsx4(fifth set)

9/25
    deadlift: 275lbsx5 285lbsx1(sixth set)
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I must admit that I've very jealous of your PR's Beans. You are rocking it.
    Thanks Deeva! YOU rock!
    great progress Bean!
    Thanks Chris!

Total awesomeness and badassery.
    A nod from my biggest competition. Thanks Sara!
    Beans... as always You always impress with Numbers.... But Slow the hell down on the speed running... i dont want to have to run anytime soon!!!! LMAO
    You better get ready Goldn, I'm coming for you!!! (But there is a MASSIVE difference in 7:52 and 7:00 so I wouldn't get too worried)
    Pretty solid numbers!

You're closing in on my best mile ever, but I could NEVER do eight miles at a 9:43 pace x_x holy cowza.
    Thanks UCB! I am sure you could if you wanted to! Most people don't have my sadistic desires, though. :happy:

Thanks all! :bigsmile:
  • JNick77
    Options
    Bean is awesome. I'm re-naming the thread, "Why Bean is Awesome!"

I couldn't run 8 miles straight period. I think after the 3rd my leg muscles would lock-up and say "uh-uh go home we're not doing this today".
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    One month progress on Starting Strength eating a surplus

Total increases over previous work set PRs for September:
    Squat 175>235 +60
    Deadlift 275>325 +50
    Bench 155>180 +25
    OHP 95>120 +25
    Power Clean 135>140 +5 Cleans were dropped way back to work on technique. Still probably suck at them.

Crap that matters way less

Straight leg calf press 360>495
    Seated calf press 95>145
  • JNick77
    Options
    One month progress on Starting Strength eating a surplus

Total increases over previous work set PRs for September:
    Squat 175>235 +60
    Deadlift 275>325 +50
    Bench 155>180 +25
    OHP 95>120 +25
    Power Clean 135>140 +5 Cleans were dropped way back to work on technique. Still probably suck at them.

Crap that matters way less

Straight leg calf press 360>495
    Seated calf press 95>145

Nice start. I love Power Cleans too and I'm trying to figure out where to put them back into my exercise regimen. I've seen many guys that are strong in the compound lifts but can't do 135 for a clean or a snatch because their technique is bad.