What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• massagecailin
    Options
    It's funny, because I'm actually Italian and Irish, with a little Native American. But I have blonde hair and blue eyes. However, my first name is Maeve, which not many people actually know is Irish. Those who do, thank you :)

I actually get more people who see my name and expect me to be more...exotic. They look at me and say, "Oh, I thought you'd be African-American, or Indian." Or just look at my name, expecting it to sound exotic (it's pronounced Mave, like rhymes with Dave)
  • _Ivian
    _Ivian Posts: 198
    Options
    When I was Barbie blonde, people would come up asking if I spoke Spanish (I live in Miami) and/or give me lip in Spanish assuming I was Caucasian. With my natural hair, people have mistaken me for Portuguese, Armenian, and Lebanese. They're always disappointed when I say I was born and raised in Miami from Cuban parents lol. If you dig a bit deeper, you'll find my Chinese and Spaniard side. But that's about it.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There is no way anyone would mistake me for anything other than a white girl...
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    ANYTIME I wear black/green/red/yellow in any combination, I have been mistaken for Jamaican, Senegalese, Nigerian.....who knows what else, LOL.

But I'm just Black American.

5499814.png
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I get Italian and Jewish all the time...
  • franmetamorphisis
    franmetamorphisis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm from Dominican republic, but I get mistaken for Indian, black/white, italian. Like... No.
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    People from my country does not have a specific look so no one every know.

Would you have guessed Jamaican?

Yea, Jamaicans don't have a "look", I agree. Pinpointing West Indian people is hard in general because we have Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, and Whites and much of the time those races mix and so our look can be hard to define.

Personally, I have gotten Yoruba Nigerian from several Nigerian people. I thought it was cool and I looked them up and I think I share characteristics with them. I think they are definitely in my ancestry. Anyway, I am Jamaican-American. Proud West Indian but I understand if white people think I am "African-American" and "African-Americans" think I am African.
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    I'm from Dominican republic, but I get mistaken for Indian, black/white, italian. Like... No.

Whoahh. My first thought was that you were Dominican. lol. I can't understand why they guessed all those random races for you..
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Middle eastern. I'm Mexican :smile:
  • BlueGenius
    BlueGenius Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been asked a couple times if I was Nigerian. I'm just black/American .... any African roots in my family would have come from Africa MANY generations ago. What's interesting though is that I'm always specifically mistaken for NIGERIAN. lol *shrug*
  • anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    100% Filipino here. Often mistaken : Brazilian, Hawaiian or Puerto Rican.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious, I get everything depending on where I am. Most popular this year has been Brazillian, Filipino, Hawaiian, Italian, French, Lebanese and of course Latina.

I am Anishinaabe. With reddish curly hair. It confuses people?
  • UFC153
    UFC153 Posts: 51
    Options
    German,Polish,and for some strange reason Italian
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    greek, people think i'm hispanic, italian or romani
  • twl900
    twl900 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm fully Filipino. I've been mistaken for Chinese and Korean before. I've asked several people before if they knew what my ethnicity was and most of them said that they had no idea :laugh:
  • Nickf887
    Nickf887 Posts: 157
    Options
    I get Italian a lot!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thug, criminal, hoodlum.

Oh wait....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Someone told me I looked Danish. Lol. I am, but it's just funny that anyone would say that nationality since it's kind of generic white person. Not even specific like if you looked Swedish.
  • claire_90
    Options
    I'm just white and boring :( typical bogan aussie haha
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    noone can ever guess what i am, they dont even know where to start!! once i heard native, but im not sure why, i totally dont look native