What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• dubmav
    dubmav Posts: 17
    Options
    Hispanic or some type of Middle Eastern decent. I'm really Italian/Filipino.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Asian and Hispanic. Actually, I'm a Brittish and Scandinavian mix with a bit of Native American thrown in.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm brown, so I get mistaken for Indian, Native American, you name it. If it's brown, I get called that :)

I have had a few people ask me if I'm part Asian, which I get quite excited about, since I have almost no features to show for my Chinese heritage.

haha this! brown too!
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have been mistaken for every nationality of every country I have traveled to. Even in Ireland, they thought I was Irish, and kept insisting that I was from "south Ireland." In Greece, I was Greek, in Italy I was Italian, in Israel I was Arabic, except in the Muslim quarter, where I was Jewish. In Philadelphia, everyone thought I was a light skinned Dominican. In Mexico, Mexican.

I'm Native American. Go figure.
  • BlueGenius
    BlueGenius Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thug, criminal, hoodlum.

Oh wait....

Bahahahaha, the sad, sad truth, huh?
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am Mexican but I have been asked If I'm Italian, Indian, Egyptian, Arabian.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have been asked if I am Italian. I am not. But I was flattered.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Depends on where.
    When I was in Germany people thought I was French. But when my parents were in Italy people thought they were Dutch... In Ireland and Poland people thought I was a local, which might make some sense because most my heritage is from those places.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    People have mistaken me for being spanish, brazilian, italian, and some other things I believe. I am mostly german with other random ethnicities mixed in, like dutch, irish, native american, etc. and who knows what else haha. I think people used to mistake me for those ethnicities since I used to dye my hair dark brown, but now I'm just letting my hair grow out in it's natural color which is light brown. Also my hair is really curly so that might also be why.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Mainly Russian, Finnish or Swedish. Blond hair and bright blue eyes does that.

I am Dutch/British.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    awe Somalian and Nigerian but everytime I go to the Chicago airport they think im ethiopian alot of ethiopians work there and they just come up to me and start speaking in their native tongue and im like ........hmm ok. Depend though on how I wear my hair if its straigh or long and curly that tends to depic what folks think. Im half black half hispanic
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    French because of my first and last name.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been asked a couple times if I was Nigerian. I'm just black/American .... any African roots in my family would have come from Africa MANY generations ago. What's interesting though is that I'm always specifically mistaken for NIGERIAN. lol *shrug*

Me too! Always, always asked if I am Nigerian. However to some Nigerians, this is quite offensive as to them I am simply "American." Whatever...I'm just me :) Oh, I've also been asked if I am mixed with Japanese or Chinese on several occasions. Hm? I think its just my small eyes :)
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Mexican, or Hispanic in general. Several years ago when I still had a gym membership a guy came up and started speaking to me in Spanish, (which I do speak a little :glasses: ).

When I lived in AZ people assumed I was Mexican and almost always initiated conversation in Spanish. The running joke with my co-workers was that I was a naturalized Mexican Citizen :tongue:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I am your typical American heinz 57 (or mutt..) but people ask me if I'm Irish.. maybe it's because of my name. My last name is french... but not very frenchy.
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Asian, not very often but still xD I'm a very petite mexican :)
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Puerto Rican or Hispanic.....
  • bco1158
    bco1158 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've been mistaken for Hawaiian/Samoan/Tongan or Hispanic.

My mother is white (Irish/German roots) and my dad is from Nigeria.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    a saiyan ;)
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    People think I'm jamaican for some weird reason. Lol.