What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm English, but I have a French degree and I teach French at secondary school. A lot of the kids I teach think I am French, but that is more because they just don't get how someone can speak another language well.

When i lived in France for my 3rd year of university a lot of French people thought I was Spanish. They even said I spoke French with a Spanish accent! I do have dark hair and dark eyes, and I had a tan then as I was in the South of France.
  • barbiegirl052
    Options
    i get confused for a German or Portuguese all the time!

I am Puerto Rican
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    People think I'm Irish until I speak!

I'm half English half Welsh but I have pale skin, dark hair and blue eyes, so it's understandable. I'm from Newcastle so I have a pretty distinctive accent which clears up any confusion.
  • starbab311
    starbab311 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    ive been mistaken for someone who cares...a lot

lmfao
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Being in Hawaii, folks think I'm Hawaiian.
    Whenever I'm in the mainland / upper states, folks think I'm Mexican.

I'm simply Samoan Japanese Portuguese.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    italian, greek, latino
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly German, Irish, and Scottish, with a bit of Native American on both sides. (I've also got a touch of Italian history in there, but you'd never know it in a million years...ha.) Most people immediately think 100% Irish, but my red hair, green eyes and pale skin tends to dictate that assumption, methinks. No one has really implied any other notion, lol.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    norwegian, not because of how i look. but, because of the way i sound. i guess south dakotans sound foreign to texans in east texas
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    everyone thinks i'm half asian for some reason.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Mexican, Choctaw Indian, Asian, Jewish...

Right there with ya! I get chinese all of the time..LOL it is in our eyes when we smile!
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Born and bred in Trinidad from Indian parentage...(from India, not American Indian) Whenever I'm in the USA, people usually mistake me for Spanish!
  • ChrissyRMiller
    ChrissyRMiller Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I often get Portuguese or Italian. I am neither Portuguese or Italian though, so I find it rather funny. The oddest one I've ever had someone assume I was was Hispanic. I don't even speak Spanish or look Hispanic!
  • tashawesterberg1
    tashawesterberg1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get asked all the time if I'm dominician all the time!! I'm a lighter shade of african american. Unless there's something that my mom didnt tell me.............Hahahahahahahahahaha!!
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I get all sorts of nonsense! But I'm a mutt so it's okay.
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    When I was a little girl I got mistaken for being Mexican. Now, I don't know what I am thanks to being adopted but...most people think I am Italian, Greek, or Jewish. I think Italian is more likely...but I KNOW I am not not Hispanic, wouldn't mind it in the least though! I know someone who is Mexican and .I thought she was Native American! She laughed and wasn't offended, she said it happens all the time!
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to mimick people's accents unconsciously.

This reminds me of my grandmother but she also mimicked people's speech impediments. Once when I was very young but old enough to know right from wrong we ran into friends of theirs at the mall. The woman asked her where my grandfather Rocky was by asking " where's wocky?" Without missing a beat my grandmother replied " Wocky's werkin". I was mortified.

I used to work in a place with a high population of Asian customers. One of the people I worked with was very very rude to these customers by calling them derogatory names as they were leaving. I asked him to stop several times and talked to the manger about it but he didn't stop. Finally I told him that my father was Chinese and I was very offended. He apologized and told me that " now I can see it". I am Caucasian ( Italian and German).
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Judging mostly by my last name, people assume I'm Jewish. Judging by my looks, I've had several Eastern European people think that I'm Eastern European too. And based on my first name, a lot of other cultures think I'm whatever they are. In actuality, I'm kind of a mut. Mostly German, some Scot-Irish, and little bit of everything else :)
  • fluffywelshsheep
    fluffywelshsheep Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hiya all, I am Welsh, mum English , Dad Welsh.
    In Scotland, I have been asked where i was from in New Zealand.
    (I have brown eyes , dark hair natural dark brown but Dyed different shades of red over the years , pale skin (but it goes really dark with sun)
    I have been told i look Germanic (don't understand that one!)

Quiet a few countries i have visited i always get asked directions because they think i have 'local'
    Places this has happened are

Germany, France, Slovakia, Czech republic, Hugary,

In Grand Canaries I was spoken to in Spanish, lol.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Asian comes up quite a bit when people guess. LOL
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am as gringazado as they come. But my wife and kids aren't. So when we lived in some latino country, I was always thought to be some rich white Don Fulano guy from Mexico, where I learned Spanish first, and apparently still talk like.