Fast Food

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No nutritional value, loaded with fat. Tasteless. Soggy. I just don't understand. At the bare minimum, why not just go to a diner instead. At least you'll get real food.

This isn't a rant, I just don't get it.

Nutritional value on a per-meal basis isn't nearly as important as nutrient sufficiency over time. One can very easily eat fast food on occasion and in the presence of a nutrient rich diet and be very healthy.

Some people enjoy the taste. I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My, my aren't we judgey.

Ah, barely made it to page 2 before you were played the "judgment card". So you, sir, have now been formally judged as being judgmental.

And just what were you thinking??? Posting your opinion on fast food in the MFP Food and Nutrition forum. That's just crazy-talk. This forum is for *real* discussions like best protein powders, how to use PB2, and how much diet coke one should consume for optimal health. Duh.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    O_o

Great googly moogly, what a thread.

I don't like it, so I don't eat it. BF likes it and does eat it (on occasion- it can get pricey!) and works his day around it. We're both loosing weight and feel good.

There's no reason to get all judgy. :/
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    aVZgT.gif
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Say what!!??! I just went to Mickey D's and had a Big mac, fries, sprite, 4pc nugget, and a mcdouble. Shizz was tasty. Haven't done that for two months. All in moderation baby!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yeah fast food is not good for me. This I know. I eat it way to much. But sometimes it really is easier and cheaper to eat there. A lot cheaper than going into my grocery store and buying from the deli or salad bar.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Another day and another post of someone getting on their high horse.

I hate it. Through being healthy I have lost the taste and craving for fast food, but I'm not going to voice my opinion on a forum like this. Let people eat what they want. If they enjoy it, then what's the harm in them eating it?

So in your utopian view of MFP, what topics *should* be discussed in the Food and Nutrition forums? And I'm reasonably certain the OP isn't attempting to forcibly stop anyone from eating what they want (although I'll admit that I don't absolutely know that...he could be physically trying to block the door at a McDonald's right now.).

And I will look down my nose condescendingly and judgmentally from my ridiculously high horse at any responses that he didn't present his ideas in the proper way/a nice way. Since we're all adults here, surely we can look past the "tone" to understand the message and discuss that (instead of just how the OP sounds like a Mr. Meany McPoopypants).
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    If it's good enough for the Olympians... :-)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    So what if you don't like it. That does not mean that everyone else has to hate it. I don't understand how people can be happy drinking shakes all day instead of eating food, but, if that is what they want to do, good for them! Your way isn't better just because it is your way. I am sure there is something you eat or you do that others would say how could you?
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You mean you can resist the alloure of a BACONATOR! I mean come on 2 greasy "mystery meat" patties, 6 strips of extra greasy bacon, 8 tbsp of mayo and ketchup, but hey at least you can have lettuce and tomato on it if you want, BUT who the hell wants that healthy stuff anymore. I used to live off of fast food as well and now that I have changed my eating habits the grease alone gets me nauseous. I may do a taco or a grilled chicken meal from KFC every once in a great while but limit the entir meal to 400 calories. My biggest vice is pizza...I can eat myself sick on it so when we have pizza night (have 4 kids) I get the thin crust chicken variety to limit calorie and fat as much as possible.

Nothing like watching someone order a tripple whopper with cheese combo LARGE size with a DIET coke. They always emphasize DIET on the coke when they order lol!

Your love of pizza is probably like those who love fast food.:bigsmile: I have found fast food is more blah to me know and not even a filler if I eat it, just a waste. My hubby gets heart burn a lot from pizza McD's and places like that, BUT... he always orders a DIET with any meal, good or bad because he's been diabetic his whole life that he hates the taste of regular pop (plus cuts the sugars as well). These places should be once in a while not a staple, for those who enjoy it. Some can say Ice cream is gross why people eat it and so forth. I tell myself I am not the one hurting my body, they are.:ohwell:
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Did you ever eat fast food in the past? Why did you do that? Because you liked it, maybe?

Because I was an idiot kid that didn't know anything about nutrition.

Sooo...maybe some of those people are where you use to be, maybe, just saying.:ohwell:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't personally eat fast food (don't care for how it tastes OR how it makes me feel afterward -- lots of stomach issues). That being said, I don't honestly care if other people eat it. To each their own, I say. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean other people don't like it and can't enjoy it.

I'm not really sure why people worry so dang much about what others are doing. Worry about YOU and YOUR life. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around it. Why do you eat it? I haven't had fast food in so many years, I don't even know how long. And, I see people still talking about it all he time in MFP and logging it. With the whole Chik-Fil-A thing, I just keep thinking, 'who gives a crap what that guy thinks. Just stop eating there, and they'll go away.'

The food is disgusting. No nutritional value, loaded with fat. Tasteless. Soggy. I just don't understand. At the bare minimum, why not just go to a diner instead. At least you'll get real food.

This isn't a rant, I just don't get it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682410-taco-bell-double-decker-supreme-nutritional-masterpiece :tongue:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    michelleobamawhyumadtho.jpg
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    different people, different tastes.

This. That's all.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    LOL.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't have posted this sorry.

If you like fast food, eat it. I guess you might as well have a bag of doritos and a soda for lunch. It's just disgusting nutrition less food. It does nothing for you at all except make you feel full.

I get that people think its easy. And, that doing something else is hard. I get it. I guess when you stop doing it, and look at it, it's weird. That's all. There are many many alternatives these days. My grocery store, as an example, has a deli. I can go there instead of pulling into a mcD's or taco bell or whatever. There are diners. Almost all restaurants have take away. I just can't fathom why anyone would chose fast food over the alternatives.

But, again, whateves.. Do what you want. I don't think the post has the right finesse behind it to say what I was trying to really say, so it's a fail.

Cost.

How much is a double cheeseburger at McDonald's? A dollar.
    How much is a cheeseburger at a diner? 8.49 at Denny's, last time I checked.
    How much is a take-out cheeseburger at Applebee's? 11.49

If you are going to eat badly, do it cheaply!
  • rlmcnay
    rlmcnay Posts: 62
    Options
    I don't personally eat fast food (don't care for how it tastes OR how it makes me feel afterward -- lots of stomach issues). That being said, I don't honestly care if other people eat it. To each their own, I say. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean other people don't like it and can't enjoy it.

I'm not really sure why people worry so dang much about what others are doing. Worry about YOU and YOUR life. :)

Then why worry about what she posted here at all then...... ;o)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    convenience and taste.

plus the price per calorie is ridiculously cheap when trying to gain weight.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I eat (ate) fast food because of a food addiction. I didn't have to get out of my car, could eat and have everything consumed before I got home. It was cheap enough not to think about it. There was no obstacle to eating it other than will power, of which I had none.

There are some things I don't like now, most of the burgers, processed chickens, and fast food fries, and others I still crave, chicken strips and the soft serve ice cream.

Thankfully, the things I like are workable into a reasonable diet- and I find subway breakfast flatbreads and McDonald's Southwest Salad is a good calorie value. Fast food business models are making money off of poor families, people on tight schedules, and food addicts. There are some people who like the intermittent guilty pleasure, but I have to assume that if people are rewarding themselves with unhealthy food there may be some underlying problems.