Trimming down thighs without putting on muscle?

Options

Replies

• Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!

I totally understand this concern. I'm the same way. When I exercise, I don't get the lean look that I'm hoping for, I just look muscular. And yes, I understand that's a good thing but when you are petite, it just looks fat!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.
    so much sexism in one comment

smh

#1 is a fact
    #2 is also a fact. it's not sexist that women have very little testosterone compared to men

and the comment "lift like a man" is an unfortunate meme that was developed in response to decades of women being told they must lift very light weights (if at all).

if anything the comment you're replying to is feminist, not sexist.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, you may wanna reconsider building some muscle in order to help "fill in" the loose skin...that's what I had to do...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of myths floating around about women and muscles... Well about muscles in general. Even if you aren't interested in building muscle, I recommend reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." There's a lot of really good information in it about getting the body you are aiming for and an easy-to-understand explanation of the science behind it. Something I specifically remember reading in that book said something along the lines of, "If you want to look like a runner then you should run... not."

Personally, I like muscle whether it be on a man or a woman. It's sexy and looks healthy and I can tell you from the perspective of somebody with a degree in bio that muscle takes a whole lot of energy to maintain. Fueling muscle burns fat.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to lose, you may wanna reconsider building some muscle in order to help "fill in" the loose skin...that's what I had to do...

I didn't lose a lot, but my bum looked like it deflated until I started seriously lifting and trying to build it back up.

I wish I'd started sooner so it would have been more a matter of retaining my bum instead of rebuilding it!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    1. Your thighs will slim down as the rest of your body does. You can't spot reduce.
    2. Why are you worried about putting on muscle? Muscle is good. I'm assuming you're a woman and your legs aren't going to get massive.

Squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, etc. Lift like you think a man would and you'll see the results you want.

?????

i second the ????
    and i lol @ yoga
    sure yoga is cool and is good if you want to get more limber, but for improving your visual appearance?

No laughing at yoga, it does improve your visual appearance. You are using different muscles to do those poses, and using your bodyweight does work. I'm looking for more muscle anyway, so yeah, compound lifts etc.. will help but I'm quite strong and also look great with just yoga.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I get thick muscle instead of really lean muscle and I have always been that way. I too try to do workouts that won't add a ton of muscle to that area in particular. It's not that I don't want muscule but it really stinks when you can't buy pants because your quads are too big for the pants that fit every where else or you get pants that fit over your legs and they are two or three sizes too big in the waist. That is exactly how it was for me before I gained weight when my thyroid crashed a few years ago. I had solid, muscular legs, they weren't fat!

I totally understand this concern. I'm the same way. When I exercise, I don't get the lean look that I'm hoping for, I just look muscular. And yes, I understand that's a good thing but when you are petite, it just looks fat!

I'm 5'3" and lift heavy. Muscle does not look fat. Fat looks fat.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

There is not a single itty bitty bit of sexism here, dear. I say this and I'm one of the ones on here that rails about sexism and male privilege when there's a thread about results or motivation pictures and some man has to come in and offer the helpful information that he would or would not get a chubby from a particular picture. The post you quote has absolutely NO sexism. Not a drop. "I'm assuming you're a woman" is germane as women don't have the testosterone levels to get Arnold-esque.

To the OP: If you are a woman, lifting weights will not make you bulky. Being fat makes you bulky. I say this because it is true. I lived it. If your thighs are too big and you don't have a dysmorphic disorder, then they have too much fat. As you lose weight they will slim down. That will depend on a calorie deficit.

There is not an exercise that can actually cause you to spot reduce fat. No matter what the covers of the fitness magazines or what your coworker or some other person, including strangers on the internet, says. Don't be afraid of building muscle with whatever exercise you might choose. Lose the fat and you'll find that your measurements go down. Even if you lift super duper heavy, you're not gonna wake up and all of a sudden have gigantic leg muscles.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    On a personal level, I have found that running has helped my legs look longer and more slender. The fat is starting to melt off and the lean muscle is showing through. I actually like my legs now :) Even my thighs are much more trim. I'm sure there are other exercises you can do. Perhaps the eliptical? I have heard it is less stress on your joints. Swimming would also be a good way to slenderize your legs.
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I understand what you are trying to get across OP. It's not that you are opposed to muscle, but you aren't looking to have big thighs or calves. I feel your pain, I'm 5' and I have always had an extremly powerful lower body, so it is much harder to have a long, lean looking leg. Running worked for me to achieve lean muscle and a less "built" look.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are trying to get across OP. It's not that you are opposed to muscle, but you aren't looking to have big thighs or calves. I feel your pain, I'm 5' and I have always had an extremly powerful lower body, so it is much harder to have a long, lean looking leg. Running worked for me to achieve lean muscle and a less "built" look.

That it is exactly what the OP was saying. Others don't want to get it. If you are short why would you want bulky legs. Also, if you tend to gain most of your fat in your thighs it will look more bulkier. You want to try and remove as much fat as possible and sculpt a muscle size that suits your frame. You hear some female bodybuilders, fitness models who say that they tend to bulk up in legs so don't work them as much etc.
  • melanie1403
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful comments.

It is not that I don't want muscle, I have muscle and am at a good weight (only need to lose a little bit of fat and tone).

My problem is that I dont want to add more muscle in the thigh area...my body is longer than my legs and with more muscle they look very short and stocky. While I am aware that it is not that easy to build muscle as a woman, I find that I personally get muscle very easily from exercise. So, I want to trim a little muscle off and tone so as to not emphasize the stockiness (make them look more elongated).
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You can mix in pilates and yoga if you'd like. Long distance running will strip type II muscle (fast twitch/bulky) off and develop type I muscles if you prefer. As will any endurance endeavor really. I'd still continue to lift heavy up top as to not get the typical skinny fat look endurance athletes, myself included, tend to get. See lifting heavy and doing interval work increases GH which builds muscle and burns fat where as endurance endeavors increase cortisol which aids in retaining belly fat. But I digress.

FWIW I my feeling is that not everyone can achieve the long, lean look that is the "ideal" in society today. We are not all graced with that type of body. If you're low teens in bf% and a bit stocky I say embrace it, love it, and utilize it to the fullest.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options

FWIW I my feeling is that not everyone can achieve the long, lean look that is the "ideal" in society today. We are not all graced with that type of body. If you're low teens in bf% and a bit stocky I say embrace it, love it, and utilize it to the fullest.

Agreed - you can improve your body but you can't change it fundamentally. Don't try to be someone else, just be the best you. You couldn't very well get someone else's lips or eyes (without surgery) the same goes for their legs. You've got what you've got and you can make it better but you can't trade it in. Once again, lowering body fat is your best bet here.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I am never going to have narrow hips. I carry excess weight on my thighs and *kitten*, and while I could lose more weight and some of it will come from my hips, my skeletal frame will not allow me to shave much off the size. If I lose too much weight, I just end up bony... with a wide bony *kitten*.

[img]http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa353/isthisbliss/fitness/IMG_4854.jpg[/quote] Personally, I think it's a lot healthier to embrace what you have, and wear flattering clothes. The looser fitting top balances my hips and the mini and wedges lengthen my legs.[/img]mini.jpg
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    try running and doing exercise or weight training do some weight training on your legs not to put on muscles but just to tone it up and trim it down http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    DIET... get rid of the fat and the lean muscle with look more trim. You can't bulk up very much you're a girl.

what she said
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I understand where the OP is coming from. I gain almost exclusively in my thighs. But in spite of this, my thighs have always been very muscular---never flabby and difficult to pinch. I'm 5'10 and have had a long lean body when I ran a lot and did pilates. But mixed results with weight training. There have been times when my thighs continued to get bigger from weight training and times when I got positive results. So it may take some trial and error to find what will work for you. Don't settle for wide leg pants if you believe you can make your body better.
  • dbarchus
    dbarchus Posts: 42
    Options
    Add some good old fashioned walking outside for 40-40 minutes a day, something with hills.
  • fitjulz40in12
    fitjulz40in12 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat, and muscle is not as bulky as fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same but the muscle is so much smaller.