Seriously??

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I apologise if I offended anyone on making that comment. I was not intending to cause offense or make any kind of racial slur.
    I understand there are many women who wear hijab on their own grounds. However, it is a culture which requires women to cover up more than we do in our culture. I am a very open minded person and have a good education - though my degree was not in Middle Eastern studies, no.. I realise that saying that may have been a generalisation - I just wanted to make a comparison, that's all. Also I don't think anyone can disagree that in a lot of muslim countries, women's rights are not as progressive as they should be.

I was put out by the original post in this thread as I can't understand why he would make it his own business to have any comment on how women should present themselves and I was just making a comparison. That is all. THat is my opinion and I am entitled to one.

I'm sorry if I have come across as ignorant or offensive as that is the last thing I want to be.

I just don't really appreciate expressing an opinion on here and now i'm being branded as a racist, sexist femi-nazi (another commentor). This is why I stay away from these threads.

Definite respect for this post! Being able to apologize and mean it, shows strength and character.

Very well done.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Whoops, she deactivated?
    I didn't mean to be THAT b*tchy, I was just making a point...
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    If a gigantic chocolate bar walked into the gym, with nuts in it...I would NOT be able to keep my eyes off of it for to long. seriously, it would be so tempting to stare and and imagine it doing things...like melting in my mouth, or how crunchy would the nuts be?? you know stuff like that...LMBO!

This made my freaking day!!!!!

I agree though, don't get the whole thing myself... Although I don't opt for the turtleneck/sweat pants look I am a bit more covered up to NOT draw attention of any sort.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Wow...that is crazy!!! I haven't seen that at our gym, but I think people would make them feel so uncomfortable b/c that is not appropriate attire & most of the people at my gym are serious about their workouts. I did have an older lady get on a treadmill in front of me with so much perfume on that I had to leave & go to a different machine. Full make up at the gym??? Pretty obvious they are looking for the meat market, not working out....
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Popcorn...bacon 3...2.....1........
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    It actually wasn't meant to be rude, my apologies if you took it that way. I have a very direct way of putting things, and most things I say, I say with humor.

i think it was that you called me a feminazi that was the rude part. :( and also the 'marching in and not having a clue' bit..
    I wasn't actually referring to the original post - the person in the above quoted threads which i was talking to i.e. with the 'slut shaming post' was someone else and I was talking about the '*kitten* uniform' quote he posted.

it's called having an opinion.

Then you failed to clarify your position, and you can't exactly be angry at me for giving my opinion on what you actually wrote, rather than what you meant.

But here:
    I was put out by the original post in this thread

You said the same thing?

1. The post I said was 'slut-shaming' was that picture of the comedian describing a *kitten*'s uniform. i don't think it's acceptable.
    2. I did not have as strong feelings against the original post in the thread, just a bit bemused by why he seemed to want to comment on women's clothing choices. he doesnt have any say in it so why is he trying to make it his business?

I was actually simply stating that you women that speak of equality, literally demanding it with a stomped foot and angry rhetoric...will never, ever be equal. The reason isn't society, nor is it oppression. It's your own minds, your own perception. The woman who does as she wishes, without spite or anger at those around her...that woman is the one who is truly equal. Actually, that's not quite true. That woman is respected, admired, and held up as an example by those of us who know, love, and respect women in general.

Believe me...a strong woman who knows that giving doesn't mean losing....is something to be cherished.

I have done a lot of work into feminist theory before in my studies and I do think there is a genuine cause for a more active role in protecting women's rights. that is my opinion and it's where i am coming from. why shouldn't we demand equal and fair rights?
    I don't really believe that it is just women's own minds that are the sole reason why women haven't been able to acheive true equal gender status in the world. this thread isn't even supposed to be a debate on this. i was simple replying to the thread and now i'm under attack..

if i am interested and feel strongly about feminism, i have the right to not be attacked and called a nazi.
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Wow...that is crazy!!! I haven't seen that at our gym, but I think people would make them feel so uncomfortable b/c that is not appropriate attire & most of the people at my gym are serious about their workouts. I did have an older lady get on a treadmill in front of me with so much perfume on that I had to leave & go to a different machine. Full make up at the gym??? Pretty obvious they are looking for the meat market, not working out....

Ugh, I hate that... :( Some women (and men!!) wear too much perfume/cologne/axe spray at the gym and it's enough to knock you over!

I'm a makeup artist so sometimes I do wear a bit of makeup to the gym if I'm coming from work, but most of the time I just pack some makeup remover wipes with me and swipe my face with one before hitting the treadmill. I can't stand the feel of foundation on when I'm sweating.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Okay, I don't wear outfits like that, anywhere. But, sometimes I go to the gym right after work, so yes I'm wearing "full makeup". And yes, sometimes when I'm done, I've got raccoon eyes because my makeup has run down under my eyes.

THIS. I generally go straight after work. I wear makeup daily. I'm not gonna take off my makeup just to go to the gym, think about it -- that's just like prepping for the gym in any other way. I throw on a sports bra, tank top and yoga pants, tie up my hair, and I'm on my way.
    I don't think he is talking about the lunch time workout or the after work makeup...but rather, the girls who put on makeup just to go to the gym...at least that is my understanding....I knew a girl in college that would wear so much make-up that it caked her face & she stopped right at her jawline...when you asked her where she was going, she would say, "the pool"....but then she also unplugged her alarm clock to save electricity...:)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I apologise if I offended anyone on making that comment. I was not intending to cause offense or make any kind of racial slur.
    I understand there are many women who wear hijab on their own grounds. However, it is a culture which requires women to cover up more than we do in our culture. I am a very open minded person and have a good education - though my degree was not in Middle Eastern studies, no.. I realise that saying that may have been a generalisation - I just wanted to make a comparison, that's all. Also I don't think anyone can disagree that in a lot of muslim countries, women's rights are not as progressive as they should be.

I was put out by the original post in this thread as I can't understand why he would make it his own business to have any comment on how women should present themselves and I was just making a comparison. That is all. THat is my opinion and I am entitled to one.

I'm sorry if I have come across as ignorant or offensive as that is the last thing I want to be.

I just don't really appreciate expressing an opinion on here and now i'm being branded as a racist, sexist femi-nazi (another commentor). This is why I stay away from these threads.

*sigh* So close it really hurts. It really REALLY hurts. So close.

I can appreciate you trying to be open minded and I definitely give you respect for this reply, I know it can be hard. But you cannot say somebody is wrong based on their culture. Its THEIR culture. Also, yes, I can definitely say that in alot of mideast countries women have the exact same rights as men. If anything maybe Saudi Arabia is the country where women donot have same rights but then again, men don't have many rights either. Government have most of the rights. And thats another whole chapter that I donot wish to get into. Take it from somebody who have travelled all over the world and have lived in east and west, donot rely on biased information you get from biased media who's sole purpose is to sell advertisements and newpaper and the only way that gonna sell is if they project the worst out of everything.. Be it projecting everybody there is a terrorist or projecting that everwhere there women have no rights
  • angelachristin
    Options
    It's comfortable. And it says, "Look what you can't have." It doesn't have to make sense. We're women.
    Personally, I don't mind guys looking at me. It's flattering. However, I think gawking, whistling, and making inappropriate comments is just rude and unclassy.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I was actually simply stating that you women that speak of equality, literally demanding it with a stomped foot and angry rhetoric...will never, ever be equal. The reason isn't society, nor is it oppression. It's your own minds, your own perception. The woman who does as she wishes, without spite or anger at those around her...that woman is the one who is truly equal. Actually, that's not quite true. That woman is respected, admired, and held up as an example by those of us who know, love, and respect women in general.

Believe me...a strong woman who knows that giving doesn't mean losing....is something to be cherished.

I have done a lot of work into feminist theory before in my studies and I do think there is a genuine cause for a more active role in protecting women's rights. that is my opinion and it's where i am coming from. why shouldn't we demand equal and fair rights?
    I don't really believe that it is just women's own minds that are the sole reason why women haven't been able to acheive true equal gender status in the world. this thread isn't even supposed to be a debate on this. i was simple replying to the thread and now i'm under attack..

if i am interested and feel strongly about feminism, i have the right to not be attacked and called a nazi.

The thing about it is...here on MFP, it's completely unnecessary. Yet, we suffer the rants about equality here, that are engendered by your (plural) opinion of the way society operates elsewhere?

You were 'under attack' for the things you apologized for above. Your opinions on feminism (wonderful thing, feminism...when applied intelligently and with respect to others feelings, some of my best friends are staunch feminists =p) were simply the catalyst for the ignorant statements you made. Taunto chose to confront it in one way, myself in another.

*shrug*

As for the 'slut shaming' picture. The truth is the truth. If you're going to walk around half naked (meaning differently than the 'norm'), people in general, and men in specific are going to treat you differently. The kernel of truth in the comedian's skit, is what makes it so hilarious to those of us who look at things with common sense, rather than with those 'oppression' colored glasses on.

For an extreme example, if I wear pink, walk around with my right hand in the air limp wristed, and talk with a lisp...people will think I'm gay. It may be an unfortunate stereotype, but it's one we pretty much have to accept because there is no changing it. This is life, and if I don't want to be perceived as gay, I don't act in ways that society believes gay men act. Besides, I've known a number of men who do this SPECIFICALLY for female attention.

It works.

Anyway, I think it's pretty clear that we don't agree on a good number of things, an that's ok! Feel free to carry on, but realize if I disagree with YOUR opinion, I'll probably say something about it, just as you would the opposite :).
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options

I can appreciate you trying to be open minded and I definitely give you respect for this reply, I know it can be hard. But you cannot say somebody is wrong based on their culture. Its THEIR culture. Also, yes, I can definitely say that in alot of mideast countries women have the exact same rights as men. If anything maybe Saudi Arabia is the country where women donot have same rights but then again, men don't have many rights either. Government have most of the rights. And thats another whole chapter that I donot wish to get into. Take it from somebody who have travelled all over the world and have lived in east and west, donot rely on biased information you get from biased media who's sole purpose is to sell advertisements and newpaper and the only way that gonna sell is if they project the worst out of everything.. Be it projecting everybody there is a terrorist or projecting that everwhere there women have no rights

Thank you for sort of appreciating my reply.

It's not that I get this from the media. I hate the Daily Mail and those really bigotted newspapers. I'm not stupid. I read a lot of women's rights blogs and one of them happens to be about more international women's rights and I've studied a lot on the topic. I studied it closely along with my English Literature degree and I'm afraid we do have slightly different political opinions. I'm not saying other countries aren't 'right' because they dont adhere to the same standard that ours do. There are just different situations with achieving equality in those countries.

You are quite arrogant constantly calling me stupid in nearly every reply you make to me and belittling me in every one. I guess you can't win them all and I have apologised for any offense I have caused.. My conscience is clear.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies... what's with the booty spandex shorts at the gym that your butt sticks out of? Along with full makeup? A string tanktop and a barely there sports bra under it?

I see scores of women at my gym that dress like this... any time someone looks at them for more than a few seconds they fire off that laser bolt stare...

You dont want gawkers dont dress like this.

Just saying!

Theres more rant for the night... FLAME ON!

I agree with you!! LOL
    I understand they feel confident and great because of the way their body looks. But they should also keep in mind they are around highly sensitive, visual creatures who will/do stare.

If a gigantic chocolate bar walked into the gym, with nuts in it...I would NOT be able to keep my eyes off of it for to long. seriously, it would be so tempting to stare and and imagine it doing things...like melting in my mouth, or how crunchy would the nuts be?? you know stuff like that...LMBO!

LMBO?
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    or how about it's not up to a man to tell women what they should and shouldn't wear.
    this is not the middle east.

I like how you just tried to school somebody about womens right followed by an ignorant and stereotyped statement about an entire region, race and gender. Bravo!

it's a well know fact that the culture in that part of the world covers women up more than the western world. women's rights are not very protected in those parts. it's not an ignorant and strereotyped statement - it's true.

the point was that why is this guy trying to dictate what women should be wearing? its none of his business. and it isn't an invitation to stare at anybody just for wearing a certain thing.

Well known fact lol. I like you. You're like my personal model for why people need education and should learn when to be quiet

Edit: for the unbolded area, consult my good friend Dave Chapell I posted earlier

excuse me, but what the hell is your problem? i'm replying to the original post, why are you attacking me?
    and 'well known fact' - whatever, it was a typo. i have plenty of education thanks. you need to learn some people skills.`

how hilarious that you are questioning my integrity when you stand behind a pathetic slut shaming post.

Hey there Miss Feminazi. We should DEFINITELY be friends lol.

More seriously, the answer to your implied question is that you totally misunderstood the OP. But that's not surprising, given the fact that most activist feminists (you know, the ones that march into every thread that involves women's behavior, or even some that don't...with the attitude of 'SHE CAN DO WHATEVER SHE WANTS!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, EFF OFF!!!') don't have the first clue what an open mind is, or the first grasp on basic reading comprehension. Every comment made that they can pull into their little world of dogma and hate, they do. And then the rest of us pay the price for it.

For the record, this is a perfect example of what the OP meant:
    I wear N*pple tassles and a Butterfly Vejazzle when I work out. Sorry meant to say when I WORK :laugh:

Seriously though, Men look at women, it is a natural reaction, why do women get bent out of shape by it? Especially at the gym where things have a tendency to move, shift and jiggle (some more than most LOL)

Ahh I love the smell of Testosterone in the morning.

If I wear a low cut top I would expect men to take a look, would be a bit dissapointed to be honest if they didn't. The problem comes if men make the assumption they can touch, then I will biach slap em.:angry:

THIS woman, is liberated. She's intelligent. She's secure. She knows men are men, expects men to be men, and the FACT that men are men has ZERO IMPACT on her sense of self, her behavior...and most of all, it has no effect on her equality.

So, take off your spite colored glasses, realize that the OP wasn't dictating anything, he was just making a comment about how offended women who wear stripper clothes to the gym are, when they are eye ogled like a stripper. I promise your cortisol levels will drop dramatically, and your weight loss journey will be made MUCH easier!

Pretty basic stuff.

^^ Well said Cris :drinker:
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options

This made my freaking day!!!!!

I agree though, don't get the whole thing myself... Although I don't opt for the turtleneck/sweat pants look I am a bit more covered up to NOT draw attention of any sort.
    :-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Thank you for sort of appreciating my reply.

It's not that I get this from the media. I hate the Daily Mail and those really bigotted newspapers. I'm not stupid. I read a lot of women's rights blogs and one of them happens to be about more international women's rights and I've studied a lot on the topic. I studied it closely along with my English Literature degree and I'm afraid we do have slightly different political opinions. I'm not saying other countries aren't 'right' because they dont adhere to the same standard that ours do. There are just different situations with achieving equality in those countries.

You are quite arrogant constantly calling me stupid in nearly every reply you make to me and belittling me in every one. I guess you can't win them all and I have apologised for any offense I have caused.. My conscience is clear.

I can appreciate anyone who tries. About your blogs about womens rights...another topic I won't get into. Primarily because I don't know them but from the way you've talked so far about that region, I have a feeling they're fairly biased and basing their reports from mainstream media also or are sensationalizing small occurances for their own agenda. But, once again I dunno what these blogs are saying so I can't be sure.

As for calling you stupid, I hate that word and donot and will not call anyone stupid. I have called you uneducated, racist, and sexist. And I didn't called you anything in my last post. I called you uneducated because you made an opinion about something you knew not of and needed to broaden your education base. Nothing wrong with it mind you, I'm about to start my PhD soon and even I am uneducated about many topics. Heck, just yesterday I learned about something right here on MFP. I called you Racist because you basically just dissed an entire region/race/culture. I cannot tolerate something like this. I called you sexist because, once again, you made a generalization about every man in mideast. I cannot tolerate that either.

However I do hope that you've changed your mind about mideast. In which case, I gladly strike those terms off
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7xxxi767h1qizniy.gif
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    jimmy-fallon-popcorn.gif

Exactly How I feel reading this!
  • alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't catch me dead in that sort of get up.

Nike shorts and bf's t shirt for me
  • TheLessOfMe
    TheLessOfMe Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    women can dress however they want. stop judging them on what they look like and concentrate on your own work out. Can't be working very hard if you're assessing the appearance of everyone else in the gym.