He/She USED to be hot

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Well, apparently if you don't find someone attractive it is because you have self-esteem issues.
    :laugh: :laugh: and all these years, I just thought I was disappointed that my former crush Val Kilmer let himself go. Little did I know it was all about MY self esteem.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Me at 18 vs 39. Same dress, but I weigh about 25 pounds more now.

1990-2011.jpg
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Me at 18 vs 39. Same dress, but I weigh about 25 pounds more now.

1990-2011.jpg

You look amazing!
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Well, apparently if you don't find someone attractive it is because you have self-esteem issues.
    :laugh: :laugh: and all these years, I just thought I was disappointed that my former crush Val Kilmer let himself go. Little did I know it was all about MY self esteem.

:laugh: That's right!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    ...does this mean you're gonna post a pic when you we're 18? I wanna see the before and after with non famous people too.
    OK...here's me at 18 on the right (my profile pic is me now..at 42)... I still get recognized by people I went to grade school with, so as you can see...I have ZERO self esteem issues (you'll notice I'm not hiding behind a cat photo as my profile shot).
    2485_1085702350909_575752_a.jpg

YOUR TURN!
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    So, I never post on these, but I think a lot of people are missing the main point of why many individuals get offended by some of these types of posts. Your right, the celebreties don't likely care much about what is posted about them, and it goes with the territory. However, on this site, I get concerned when teenagers and young individuals read these types of posts, especially young girls, as it just re-emphasizes the unhealthy focus on outer appearance, weight, and unattainable goals for most individuals rather than the true spirit of the site, which is to feel good about yourself no matter what shape, size, age or color you are. I would like new people coming to the site to experience the same unconditional support and encouragement that I always have, especially the younger generation who has been bombarded with terrible messages from the media about self-worth being related to appearance. I honestly could care less personally that people want to post thier opinions of what they find attractive, but what message does it really communicate? Yeah, it's a fun chit-chat thread, but that does not lessen the impact it has on the readers if they are impressionable. No judgment here, just food for thought.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    ...does this mean you're gonna post a pic when you we're 18? I wanna see the before and after with non famous people too.
    [/quote]

I did. Page 15. Yep.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Not judging, and not patting myself on the back. It just saddens me to see others judged by their appearance instead of their actions or behaviors. Many of the people shown as aging badly brought much enjoyment to my life, whether through songs or movies and so on. That's what I focus on. What they DID and what they made me feel makes me admire them still. I see no need to tear down others based on appearance.

once again.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Oh stop crying. As Truvy said in "Steel Magnolias,"Honey, time marches on and eventually you realize it is marchin' across your face.

FML

Then:
    tumblr_m7e6hjzBIS1rz3gq7o1_400.jpg

Now
    Duran-Duran--644x362.jpg
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    OK...here's me at 18 on the right (my profile pic is me now..at 42)... I still get recognized by people I went to grade school with, so as you can see...I have ZERO self esteem issues (you'll notice I'm not hiding behind a cat photo as my profile shot).
    2485_1085702350909_575752_a.jpg

YOUR TURN!

Not hiding, I just don't post pictures on the internet. Don't you know how unsafe it can be?!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    So, I never post on these, but I think a lot of people are missing the main point of why many individuals get offended by some of these types of posts. Your right, the celebreties don't likely care much about what is posted about them, and it goes with the territory. However, on this site, I get concerned when teenagers and young individuals read these types of posts, especially young girls, as it just re-emphasizes the unhealthy focus on outer appearance, weight, and unattainable goals for most individuals rather than the true spirit of the site, which is to feel good about yourself no matter what shape, size, age or color you are. I would like new people coming to the site to experience the same unconditional support and encouragement that I always have, especially the younger generation who has been bombarded with terrible messages from the media about self-worth being related to appearance. I honestly could care less personally that people want to post thier opinions of what they find attractive, but what message does it really communicate? Yeah, it's a fun chit-chat thread, but that does not lessen the impact it has on the readers if they are impressionable. No judgment here, just food for thought.
    I get the point you're making, but nobody was promoting ridiculously thin people as being attractive. Most of the thread was about plastic surgery gone wrong or the negative impact of drugs on the appearance of the human body. I didn't see where anyone was saying people needed to be thin (yes, a few of these celebs had 'blown up', but there were other contributing factors to that). Additionally, this is an adult only site, with restrictions that you must be 18 to register. We aren't posting things on a teen-centric forum.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think this thread shares a beneficial message about the risks of plastic surgery and drugs.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Celebrities are people who have put themselves out there to be judged by the world, and I'm sure none of them under any delusions that they look fantastic still...

EXACTLY.

to be judged by the world are you kidding me! LMAO

Yes, I'm an actress. I should know. You do get judge by directors, fellow actors, the audience. That's life. Deal with it.

.....so how come we never heard of you?

Anyway...did you ever think that actors just want to act? Maybe some of them aren't out there for judgement and celebrity status, they just wanna do what they're good at.

Just because I act doesn't mean I'm famous, honey. And if that's the case, they shouldn't be actors. Take a journalism class and learn about libel laws and how they apply to private individuals vs. public officials and you well get what I'm saying.

Of course I knew that, honey. I acted in the 4th grade play so I'm an actress too.

And I'll pass on the journalism classes. I'm done with college and made sure I went to a school that didn't make me waste time in a class like that. Maybe you should take an acting class and you might make it big :smile:

Wow!! Just wow!!! I looked at this thread because I was curious to see what some of the people I grew up with watching looked like now, because I don't really look at celebrity news type stories. I haven't posted any pics good or bad and the only comments I have made on any pics are how hot RDJ is. The reason I'm replying to you however is that you talk about people being mean and making fun of celebrities because of how they look now or how they let themselves go but here you are bashing someone on a forum for their profession and insulting their college career and what classes people may or may not have taken. Seriously??? How are you any better then any of the people bashing the celebrities, and that makes you a nice person?

I just got readmitted into college after being out of school for 7-8 years raising my children. I am a physics major and I already had an AA degree so the University of Utah isn't going to make me take any general classes except for maybe American History, but any new incoming students have to take 2 courses minimum in each of the different areas of study that aren't for their major. So me being a science major that means I would have had to take 2 fine arts courses, 2 humanities types, and 2 social science types. If someone picks journalism as one of their "rounding out their education" courses or electives or just something to mark of a gen ed requirement then that's their prerogative and just because a college offers journalism doesn't mean its a crappy university either. Not to mention that I don't think anyone in the media gets by without some kind of journalism course of some sort. You don't see me going around insulting people who work in psychology or sociology or something saying they didn't get a real education because their science isn't "real" science or because they never took calc or quantum mechanics or diff equations. Jeesh.

And really? Maybe she is young and fairly new at acting. Maybe she has been acting in local theater or in smaller movies or commercials or trying to get into a tv show. Everyone has to start somewhere. My biggest thing is just how hypocritical you are from just one post to the next on the same thread.

I said I tried to avoid those classes for myself. I'm an engineer and I don't enjoy any type of journalism, liberal studies, history, sociology classes, etc etc etc. For my electives I took all the easy ones like opera and art history because I didn't have time to be bothered with those classes. I'm sure many people in those majors may not enjoy electronic power systems classes either. Just like I was forced to take waste of time electives, it would be funny to see the reverse and have liberal arts majors be forced to take some of my beginner core classes.

Anyway, back to the actress. She passed a wild know it all blanket statement about all actors as if she just "knows" actors. My brother happens to be an actor who works in a small theatre company and I can tell you that actors aren't looking to be judged. They truly enjoy their craft and want to work at getting better for themselves. Many actors, if they happen to get famous, its considered a bonus. Another thing too, many actors will say we're all actors technically so how did I insult her?

Here:
    Of course I knew that, honey. I acted in the 4th grade play so I'm an actress too.

And I'll pass on the journalism classes. I'm done with college and made sure I went to a school that didn't make me waste time in a class like that. Maybe you should take an acting class and you might make it big

Some colleges do make you take classes outside your interest and comfort zone. That's why I mentioned the requirements that the UofU has since I have been looking at them extensively for months now. Like I have any interest in taking ceramics or music classes yuck, and I really have no interest in learning a second language that's why I took Latin in HS to avoid having to take it in college, but if they made me take one I would probably take Chinese because my daughter is in 2nd grade in a Chinese immersion class and that is what she is learning. But just because a school makes someone take some classes that are outside of their field doesn't make it a bad school, its actually kind of a good thing. And journalism itself isn't necessarily a bad course to take, it helps with writing anyways and English. Science majors have research writing classes and other writing classes that take on a different tone then journalism but they are still writing classes. Also, in Utah liberal arts and other of those types of majors do have to take physics or chemistry at least 2 classes in the physical sciences category. They also have to take math up to whichever class is just below calculus (I honestly don't know I started in Calc as soon as I started college.)
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Here's one for the complainers...I say this one got better with age!!

John-Stamos-As-Uncle-Jessie.bmp

220px-JohnStamosHWoFFeb2012.jpg

I totally agree. Go John Stamos. Rrrar.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Not hiding, I just don't post pictures on the internet. Don't you know how unsafe it can be?!
    Oh yeah...ok...right .....
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bumo...for later.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Some colleges do make you take classes outside your interest and comfort zone. That's why I mentioned the requirements that the UofU has since I have been looking at them extensively for months now. Like I have any interest in taking ceramics or music classes yuck, and I really have no interest in learning a second language that's why I took Latin in HS to avoid having to take it in college, but if they made me take one I would probably take Chinese because my daughter is in 2nd grade in a Chinese immersion class and that is what she is learning. But just because a school makes someone take some classes that are outside of their field doesn't make it a bad school, its actually kind of a good thing. And journalism itself isn't necessarily a bad course to take, it helps with writing anyways and English. Science majors have research writing classes and other writing classes that take on a different tone then journalism but they are still writing classes. Also, in Utah liberal arts and other of those types of majors do have to take physics or chemistry at least 2 classes in the physical sciences category. They also have to take math up to whichever class is just below calculus (I honestly don't know I started in Calc as soon as I started college.)

I think almost all 4 year colleges make you take some classes to waste time. I know its supposed to make you "well rounded" but for myself personally, I thought it was a waste of time. My school is also considered one of the top engineering schools too so its not that its a bad school. If I could do it my way I would have taken more important electives and maybe minored in another tech field. I learned all the writing I needed to learn in high school. I could honestly say my writing from my senior year of high school was the same as my writing in my senior year in college. I'm sure some people have fun taking electives and love the boost it gives their grade but I don't think everyone should have to take them.
  • tklagesse67
    Options
    Cocaine? I thought his looks were because of boxing.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Cocaine? I thought his looks were because of boxing.
    I think it was a bit of both...he spiraled for years.

Love him in that wrestling movie though - it was nice to see the guy make a comeback, even if he wasn't pretty anymore!