Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Options

Replies

• spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Patrick Henry, General W.T. Sherman, and Herbert Hoover.
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    very very veeeery distant relative of gavrilo princip. not something i'm proud of.
    my uncle discovered that we were (probably still are if it's hereditary) on my mother's side one of 12 noble families in balkan in 13th century
  • ericaknight95
    ericaknight95 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Buzz Aldrin. He's my great grandma's cousin. (On my dad's side)
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I have traced my direct ancestory back to the Mayflower to Edward Doty. Also in my lineage is Richard Stockton who signed the Declaration of Independence.

My maiden name is Stockton, but I never knew my biological father, now I wonder if I am related to Richard Stockton. Hmmmm....
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I don't really know....my dad was adopted when he was 3 days old and his parents were tight-lipped about his origins. So were my maternal grandparents. I don't know of any famous people in my family tree, or even what hereditary conditions I might be susceptible to (past my mom and dad, anyway).
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone I know swears they are related to someone famous in history. I know people who think they are related to the Queen of England, Adolph Hitler, Jessie James(the outlaw) etc...

So, who do you THINK you are related to as it pertains to famous people in history?

on my father's side (they are the only ones that have the family trees to prove anything) Pete Rose (baseball player), Michael Des Barres ( band Power Station), John Normington (English actor, member of the Royal Shakespearen Company), King Loius XIV
  • ilovemyboysx3
    Options
    I'm related to John Wesley Hardin (my maiden name is Hardin). He was a Texas 'bad guy' from the late 1800's. He was known as being a cold blooded killer.
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am related to any "famous" but I am pretty sure my grandmother's family was part of the mafia, straight off the boat Italians who never ever talked about anything unless they were in a group of 4 or 5 in a completely separate room all smoking cigars and talking with their hands. There was also a mysterious "Uncle Louie" that no one ever saw either?

this is quite interesting! Im not related to anyone famous but I have to think twice about this :)
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have always said this...duh
  • jkcrawford
    Options
    Has anyone realized that if you trace your ancestry back far enough, you are related to essentially everyone at some point?

You have 2 parents
    You have 4 grandparents
    You have 8 great-grandparents
    You have 16 great-great grandparents

Assuming an average 25 years or so for each generation, there were approximately 512 people alive at the time of the American Revolution that were your direct ancestor. Go back 400 years and you had 65,536 direct ancestors. One doesn't have to be a math genius to see that eventually everyone's family tree will converge. In fact, it's a guarantee that some of your ancestors appear in more than one part of your tree. So, everyone is related to someone famous if you go back far enough.
  • jkcrawford
    Options
    I have always said this yeppers
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    On my father's side:

My grandmother was a direct descendant of John Howland from the Mayflower. We were able to prove that one. She also said we were descended from a few dukes and duchesses in England but I have not looked into that. She also swore that we were related to Winston Churchill thru his mother.

On my mother's side:

My grandfather was said to have been related to Robert E Lee, as well as Helen Keller. I don't have any proof tho of that, I never actually looked it up.

I should tho...would be interesting!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Jesus.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm related to the first homo sapiens who ever lived ^^
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Im not related to anyone famous but this thread sure is interesting :)
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Not really all that interesting unless you're into archery, but my dad was the 1995 Pro Male Freestyle World Archery Champion. The tournament was in Birmingham, England that year. Two year later, he took something like 10th place. That time the tournament was in Istanbul, Turkey. He was even on ESPN the first time, at like 4 A.M. Or something. :smokin:
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lol. I actually am related to the Queen of England. On my Dad's side, our family tree goes back to the time of Henry VIII etc. :laugh:

Hi cousin :happy: My gran's mother or grandmother always insisted she was descended from Anne Boleyn, according to my gran.
    Errr... No.

Anne Boleyn had one child, Elizabeth I, and she had no children.

related then, perhaps not a direct decendent. I'm quoting what my gran said years ago (and she said it like she didn't really believe it to be true), maybe she said related not descended (my gran knows enough British history not to make that mistake, unlike me!). Anyway it's not that important seeing as a) I don't really care if I'm related to her or not, I just mentioned it cause it's the theme of the thread and b) if you go back far enough everyone's related to everyone else. :smile:
  • leiloob
    leiloob Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My second cousin is Deron Williams....but I've only seen him a few times!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i am the second cousin of romney's vice president running mate, paul ryan. let's just say that i don't advertise it because he's not that close with our family now. ever since he became a politician, he isn't interested in the simpleton side of the family.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    We're related to the Osmonds. Donny and Marie. Fantastic I know.