Lets hear it, who are you related to?

Options

Replies

• LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My sister told me once that my (idk how many greats) grandfather married a Blackfoot Indian princess.

Whether that's true or not, I dunno. We were young when she told me this >.>
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    My dad's cousin wrote a book tracing her side of the family back to the 1500's and in it I found out Betty Grable was a distant cousin of mine
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Lol. I actually am related to the Queen of England. On my Dad's side, our family tree goes back to the time of Henry VIII etc. :laugh:

Hi cousin :happy: My gran's mother or grandmother always insisted she was descended from Anne Boleyn, according to my gran.
    Errr... No.

Anne Boleyn had one child, Elizabeth I, and she had no children.

related then, perhaps not a direct decendent. I'm quoting what my gran said years ago (and she said it like she didn't really believe it to be true), maybe she said related not descended (my gran knows enough British history not to make that mistake, unlike me!). Anyway it's not that important seeing as a) I don't really care if I'm related to her or not, I just mentioned it cause it's the theme of the thread and b) if you go back far enough everyone's related to everyone else. :smile:
    Yeah, if your family were all based in England back then, it's highly likely you're related to Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and probably the other 4 wives, too! lol
  • reallymyBEST
    reallymyBEST Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Peggy Lee.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Wyatt Earp
  • bubmaster
    Options
    no one famous..so unfair..lol
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lol. I actually am related to the Queen of England. On my Dad's side, our family tree goes back to the time of Henry VIII etc. :laugh:

Hi cousin :happy: My gran's mother or grandmother always insisted she was descended from Anne Boleyn, according to my gran.
    Errr... No.

Anne Boleyn had one child, Elizabeth I, and she had no children.

related then, perhaps not a direct decendent. I'm quoting what my gran said years ago (and she said it like she didn't really believe it to be true), maybe she said related not descended (my gran knows enough British history not to make that mistake, unlike me!). Anyway it's not that important seeing as a) I don't really care if I'm related to her or not, I just mentioned it cause it's the theme of the thread and b) if you go back far enough everyone's related to everyone else. :smile:
    Yeah, if your family were all based in England back then, it's highly likely you're related to Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, and probably the other 4 wives, too! lol

yes they were as far as we can tell, and you're probably right about that lol
  • bubmaster
    Options
    my auntie had lunch with the queen but i guess that dosen't count :(
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Has anyone realized that if you trace your ancestry back far enough, you are related to essentially everyone at some point?

You have 2 parents
    You have 4 grandparents
    You have 8 great-grandparents
    You have 16 great-great grandparents

Assuming an average 25 years or so for each generation, there were approximately 512 people alive at the time of the American Revolution that were your direct ancestor. Go back 400 years and you had 65,536 direct ancestors. One doesn't have to be a math genius to see that eventually everyone's family tree will converge. In fact, it's a guarantee that some of your ancestors appear in more than one part of your tree. So, everyone is related to someone famous if you go back far enough.

We are family
    I got all my sisters with me
    We are family
    Get up everybody and sing

BTW I was a test tube baby, weaned in a cabbage patch by Adam and Eve.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Im quite closely related to John Entwhistle, from The Who.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I have been told Robert E. Lee is my great x7 uncle. I am not sure exactly how though. Recently I went home and my grandfather gave me stacks of family pictures some as far back as the 1800s. In one picture he pointed out how his great grandfather was missing his arm and told me how he had been shot in the Civil War and the bullet was lodged between the two bones in his arm. Since they could not remove it, they cut the arm off just below the elbow. Later I was online and googled his name and date of birth and on Ancestry.com someone else had written his story and I found out more info about him. I was really excited to read more about the man I had a picture of and learn about his part in history.

Are there any genealogy sites you would recommend that don't charge as much as Ancestry does? I'd really like to look into the Robert E. Lee connection.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The Sager orphans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sager_orphans )from Seven Alone movie/book - first cousins to my mother's dad and the Sullivan brothers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_brothers) - second cousins to my father.
    Loved the Seven Alone book/movie when I was young. Still find that period of history and travel very interesting.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Silly family rumor I am related to Geronimo... also by marriage related to JFK.
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My grandad says I might be related to Cecil Rhodes on his side, but I doubt that cos Cecil Rhodes wasn't Irish XD if I had it my way I'd be related to Anne Boleyn or Mary Queen of Scots. Or even Margaret Beaufort or Elizabeth Woodville.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    well he wasn't directly famous, but my maternal great grandfather was the driver for mother cabrini.
    my uncle by marriage (dad's sister) has a cousin who is related to john voight. my uncle owned a gas station that my dad worked at for years, and he would come in to get gas every now and then.
  • hawaii86442
    Options
    I am--related--as I say to Linda Ronstadt-she is my twin.:laugh:
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Apparently, I am related to Lucy, the Ethiopian Australopithecus afarensis hominid. :laugh:
  • krislee614
    krislee614 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Nourse , who was killed as a witch in the Salem Witch Trials in the 1600's because her neighbors wanted her property and accused her of being a witch. (Anyone who read The Crucible in high school, will know her as a character from that book too. She was a real person :smile: ).

Also, (and this has not been confirmed) King John I from England in the 11th century.
  • krislee614
    krislee614 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That would be super cool. Margaret Beaufort is my top choice. Or Eleanor of Aquitaine.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Stonewall Jackson