Replies

• LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    rmx-so-there-deer-version_o_498835.jpg
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I wonder where, by the OPs logic (or what kinder people than me have assumed is his logic) equestrian sits? Specifically showjumping? Many people concider it to not be a sport and that it shouldn't be in the olympics. However the showjumping is not 'judged', it is as absolute as the swimming. Successful completion of the course, for time. Yes or no?
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    double
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Oh don't be a douche, it's just an obvious statement.

i'M not responding to Halos post but his avatar.

Where have you been? I think you are my long lost brother!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Just because it doesn't involve a ball doesn't mean it isn't a sport.

I will let Paul Bettany express my feelings on this matter.

a-moron-photography-Favim.com-290070.gif
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    rmx-so-there-deer-version_o_498835.jpg

d'awwww. So cute!
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    As the mother of a synchronized swimmer and a trained judge on the local level, there is a definite structure to the "scoring." The athletes are awarded points based on things like pool coverage, speed, height out of the water, difficulty of the routine, etc. (At the pre-Olympic level, athletes are awarded set number of points multiplied by a factor to account for difficulty of their "figures." The points are determined based, in part, on how much of their bodies they get out of the water.
    Are you aware that the US Synchronized Swimming Olympic Team is selected earlier than any other US Olympic Team -- and they train as a group for more than a year before they even qualify to attend the Games?
    Are you aware that they have some of the hardest workouts/training of any other sports' athletes?
    They tread water for hours at a time. During a four-minute routine, they may spend close to a minute underwater before coming up for air. They are holding more than 50% of their body weight out of the water on some of their moves. They are frequently upside down, under water, moving down the pool -- without goggles, by the way -- staying completely together even when they can't see each other.
    They lift and/or throw other swimmers out of the water -- holding them up even while never touching the bottom of the pool. Oftentimes, the lifted person is doing handstands on the raised up hands/arms of their teammate, or back tuck somersaults or other challenging tricks off the shoulders of their teammates.
    Is it judged? Absolutely! But to say that these young women are not athletes and that they aren't engaging in sport is just wrong.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I don't think even the OP ever said these kids aren't athletes.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    but you can't tell me that no one there is in it for the love of the game. ... You can't make a generalizing statement without qualifiers.
    I never said the athletes weren't there for the love of the game, nor did I even elude to it. And qualifiers get people nowhere; arguments in regard to semantics are like competing in the special olympics.
    Where have you been? I think you are my long lost brother!
    Hah. I've been sporting this avatar for about a year now. Where have you been?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I think the artsy side can make it not seem like a sport. But once I see a gymnast or whatever that doesn't add in the extra flair, I notice how hardcore it is.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Seriously?? !!

Troll? Or just trolling to get a rise out of people?

SMH....
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics is more difficult than any other sports there is. Fact.

It takes an tremendous amount of athleticism. And they are capable of doing something few people in the world are capable of. And a 9 year old gymnast could probably do more push ups, chin ups, press handstands, dips etc then you could.

Case and point : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrlDfwOIV2s
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    How about muff diving?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    LOL, the comments in this thread. Fun reading the dialogue.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is getting the definitions of the words "Sport" and "Game" mixed up.

Good Point.

It is the Olympic Games, not the Olympic Sports
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    competitive wanking.

Awesome. How would it feel to go home to the family.... "Sorry guys, I placed 4th in wanking"

Even better to come home shouting "I'm the number one Wanker in the World!"
  • natashiag
    Options
    I would love to hear you say this to the face of an athlete who has trained their whole entire life to be the absolute best. They've given up most of the luxuries that come with being a teenager or someone in their twenties, to compete at a level some of us can only dream of. The dedication that it takes is something we should admire, and not put down. Plus gymnastics and swimming are my favorite things to watch during the olympic games :D
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

Those are my three favourite sports to watch in the Olympics!!!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close

So, BOXING is not a sport?
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do you have ANY idea how fit you need to be to do gymnastics?

Get f*cked, mate.