olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close

It's the "Olympic Games" not the "Olympic Sports."

Your point is invalid.
    game 1 (gm)
    n.
    1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.
    a. A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.
    b. A single instance of such an activity: We lost the first game.
    c. games An organized athletic program or contest: track-and-field games; took part in the winter games.
    d. A period of competition or challenge: It was too late in the game to change the schedule of the project.

:happy:

Thank you! This should shut the OP up :-)

Nah. Not a chance. :smile:
  • LaNena01
    LaNena01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good one!!!! =0)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    it isn't a sport unless is has a set scoring system. do A, get X points. do B, get Y. anything that uses a scoring system based on personal preferences and guesstimations of what certain moves or tricks are worth? not a sport.

this doesn't mean that competitors in these events aren't athletes, mind you. they just don't compete in a sport.

In gymnastics they get x points for completing a skill to its fullest possibility. There is a set scoring system for the skills that is dependent difficulty. There is set scores for deductions for each mistake. The same way in basketball they get more points due to difficulty of a shot according to distance.

Its not a guessing game. The judges are no different then coaches who judge a play.

you are right. each skill = a certain point total based on difficulty. but the judge then rules on how well they completed that skill, and that's what the final points are based on. one judge things the dismount sucks, one thinks it was just ok. same skill, two completely different scores.

(as was pointed out, new scoring in figure skating has helped. at least in the controversy department. lots of problems come in on 'artistry' scores. those were completely based on how much the judge appreciated the performance, not on the skills actually attempted.)

but there is a difference in other mainstream sports. you pointed out basketball. but the 3-point line is always the 3-point line. it's always worth three points. if they shoot with one hand, it doesn't become worth four. if they bank off the backboard, it doesn't then become two. it is always, always three.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    it isn't a sport unless is has a set scoring system. do A, get X points. do B, get Y. anything that uses a scoring system based on personal preferences and guesstimations of what certain moves or tricks are worth? not a sport.

this doesn't mean that competitors in these events aren't athletes, mind you. they just don't compete in a sport.

they do have scoring systems. for gymnastics it was revamped around 2003, 2004. I don't know what the scoring is for the others, but there have been many controversies about figure skating. They are changing it to be not guestimations or arbitrary assumptions. Don't point your toes? Don't hit handstand? Hit a certain angle?...all of these things lead it to have less room for personal preference.

well, that's just it. of course there is a scoring system. they have a panel of judges. every judge sees the exact same routine, but there will be six different point totals given for that routine.

for the things you don't do, there are deductions. but those deductions then come out of whatever each judge felt you earned.

like, for example, competitive cheerleading. definitely fit, athletic young men and women. no one -- I think? -- would even try to argue that. but it isn't a sport. there are judges giving points they feel were earned.

(and it has been pointed out, but the argument of 'well, you can't do it!' has zero merit, honestly. so that needs to be just left out of this. kind of silly to throw that around.

This is the controversy of judging. They take deductions off of what they "felt you earned" used to be MUCH more often. Have you ever seen Stick It? That movie was honestly out at the perfect time for gymnastics. It showed that judges do just that...judge...and not in the good way but in an arbitrary and discriminative way. The new rules have attempted to eliminate this.

The whole controversy over competitive cheerleading being considered a sport at the collegiate level is more to allow the cheerleaders the same access the NCAA athletes get: athletic trainers, strength trainers, money, things like that.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Ummm....I've seen a few professional ball games decided solely by a referee. :sad:
  • ifitkillsme
    Options
    I completely disagree....

I don't really believe shooting is a sport (and is currently being competed, and awarding Olympic medals), it does take skill sure, but not physically.... gymnastics, diving and swimming all require physical skill and fitness, and belong in the Olympics.

I agree. I shoot at archery competitions, but don't think of it as a sport. I feel that a sport should be something that you have to be physically fit.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    @tsh0ck

You said it perfectly.

mainstream sports. there are stigmas and stereotypes and discriminations surrounding many of the sports that are not mainstreamed. If the OP had more respect for the less mainstreamed sports I wonder if he would make the same horrendous statement.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    one event that I thought was funny, extreme canoeing!!

It looked so fun, but I would probably die if I tried it lol.

nope, I had nothing to contribute on this stupid arguement, maybe I should make a thread to see what other random events there are for the Olympics.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    art and poetry and essay writing used to be in from 1896 to 1948
  • tsh0ck
    Options

This is the controversy of judging. They take deductions off of what they "felt you earned" used to be MUCH more often. Have you ever seen Stick It? That movie was honestly out at the perfect time for gymnastics. It showed that judges do just that...judge...and not in the good way but in an arbitrary and discriminative way. The new rules have attempted to eliminate this.

The whole controversy over competitive cheerleading being considered a sport at the collegiate level is more to allow the cheerleaders the same access the NCAA athletes get: athletic trainers, strength trainers, money, things like that.

like I said, the judges and the scoring are getting less subjective when it comes to artistry. but the very nature of the event leaves it open to subjectivity. even with the athletic components. there's really no getting around that.

and, of course, umpires, referees, etc., have an impact on the game. their whole job is to ensure fair play. and they sometimes get it wrong -- which is why sports are bringing in instant replay. to correct human error in key instances. but they don't impact the scoring in the way that judges do. see: the 3-point line remark from earlier.

(and try to tell a cheerleader what she does isn't a sport!)
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just because you can't understand an event that has more than one outcome doesn't mean it's not a sport. It's judged because someone doing a double backflip needs to be compared fairly to someone doing somersaults. There is no single finish line and that's what you have a problem with. But they are sports.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree....

I don't really believe shooting is a sport (and is currently being competed, and awarding Olympic medals), it does take skill sure, but not physically.... gymnastics, diving and swimming all require physical skill and fitness, and belong in the Olympics.

And I have to disagree with shooting not taking physical skill...try holding a shotgun steady.
  • ifitkillsme
    Options
    cant think of any, has poker made it to the olimpics yet?

My husband would watch the Olympics if it was!
  • tobielauren
    Options

like I said, the judges and the scoring are getting less subjective when it comes to artistry. but the very nature of the event leaves it open to subjectivity. even with the athletic components. there's really no getting around that.

and, of course, umpires, referees, etc., have an impact on the game. their whole job is to ensure fair play. and they sometimes get it wrong -- which is why sports are bringing in instant replay. to correct human error in key instances. but they don't impact the scoring in the way that judges do. see: the 3-point line remark from earlier.

(and try to tell a cheerleader what she does isn't a sport!)

the cheerleading I did in college (DI, as well) was not a sport. some of the girls and guys that do competitive, I could give it to them
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Bump...too tired to follow this tonight.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This thread is about a dude changing the real definition of a word to his own version and then using that new made-up definition to show that his initial point was right.... tuly the most bizarre thing I have read today. Rather than arguing the merits of this cray cray, lets just make up our own versions... I'll start

Dogs that are not dogs...

me, the hypothetical OP: A rottweiler is not a dog because it is brown and dogs by definition are not brown...
    anyone else with a brain: But that is simply not the definition of what a dog is... what about chihouas that are brown?
    me: um... yes but they are actually dogs because they also come in other colours...
    AEWAB: you're stupid
    me: I am yet to see a valid argument...
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I think the OP is getting the definitions of the words "Sport" and "Game" mixed up.
  • GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just thought I would mention something. There is a criteria for the judging, not just a person saying 'hey that looked nice lets give them ___ many points'. They have to do each thing an exact way to get x amount of points. So it's judging and the rules.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    This thread is about a dude changing the real definition of a word to his own version and then using that new made-up definition to show that his initial point was right.... tuly the most bizarre thing I have read today.

the OP didn't come off well, but some of that is due to some wild reaction opposite his point of view from the start. fwiw, I've been a sports writer and a sports editor. now am a sports page designer. been in and around athletics all my life. and while he didn't articulate it well from the start, I tend to agree with him.