olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• stacierusk
    Options
    "I can't believe I'm the only one that noticed (or at least acknowledged) the distinction. If I understand what he's saying, his definition of sport depends on whether the objective is primarily objective or primarily subjective. The winner of a primarily subjective event is determined entirely by the points awarded by a judge(s). The winner of a primarily objective event is determined entirely by the speed/height/number of goals/other-objective-criteria. You can argue that his definition doesn't match the definition you found online, but surely at least someone else can at least understand the distinction he is making without getting all emotionally out of sorts about it.

All of the arguments about the fitness of the competitors, the OP's relative fitness, etc., while entertaining, are not relevant...

And I can't believe I just got pulled into an actual discussion of the merits of this thread. That does it. I'm grounding myself from this thread until I can learn from my mistake.
    Edited by jofjltncb6 on Tue 07/31/12 09:05 PM "

Based on the above argument, martial arts are definitely a sport. There are 7 criteria in karate for scoring a point during a match. If they aren't met, the point is not scored. The person with the most points wins the match. Of course, different matches have different rules, in some you must win by so many points, etc, but basically....the one with the most points wins.

And, on a selfish note, why karate isn't in the Olympics (but Judo is) is completely beyond my capacity.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Actually, if we define a dog that way, a creature without pointy ears would not be a dog by our definition. That's basically what's happened here: OP has narrowly re-defined a well-known word. According to his definition, these things are not sport. The problem is that his definition is faulty.

The other problem is that so many people (not all) are debating based on qualities unrelated to his faulty definition, rather than pointing out that it's wrong.
    [/quote]

My point exactly :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Based on this argument, then martial arts are definitely a sport. There are 7 criteria in karate for scoring a point during a match. If they aren't met, the point is not scored. The person with the most points wins the match. Of course, different matches have different rules, in some you must win by so many points, etc, but basically....the one with the most points wins.

And, on a selfish note, why karate isn't in the Olympics (but Judo is) is completely beyond my capacity.

I have always thought the same, it has baffled me why karate was never included to be honest.

Taekwondo is the closest we will get I reckon and that has only been in the last few Olympics (since 2000) but was a demonstration event from 1988.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    donotfeedthetrolls.jpg
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close
    Did your team lost badly in these games that you couldn't take it & that now you're complaining they're not sport? Sucks to be in your team I guess.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm the only one that noticed (or at least acknowledged) the distinction. If I understand what he's saying, his definition of sport depends on whether the objective is primarily objective or primarily subjective. The winner of a primarily subjective event is determined entirely by the points awarded by a judge(s). The winner of a primarily objective event is determined entirely by the speed/height/number of goals/other-objective-criteria. You can argue that his definition doesn't match the definition you found online, but surely at least someone else can at least understand the distinction he is making without getting all emotionally out of sorts about it.

All of the arguments about the fitness of the competitors, the OP's relative fitness, etc., while entertaining, are not relevant...

And I can't believe I just got pulled into an actual discussion of the merits of this thread. That does it. I'm grounding myself from this thread until I can learn from my mistake.

I can't believe I'm actually replying to this ridiculous thread but here goes...

All of the sports the OP mentioned can very well be considered objectively judged. The judges do not deduct points based on what they feel like. They deduct points based on a very vigorous metric and scoring system. Was that turn a full turn or was it only a 3/4 turn. Did she get the full 2 flips she needed to get to pull off the move she has listed in her program? The judges all get a list of exactly what maneuvers will be attempted in each individual program and each competitor is judged on weather or not they did it. Those, sir, are called objective results. The judges at the olympics are not just sitting up there going "wow, did I like that?" So, once again logic wins the day.

Oh, and just to feed the troll a little more, things like ping pong and skeet shooting would definitely be considered sports by the OP's twisted logic....
  • tobielauren
    Options
    donotfeedthetrolls.jpg

is that picking its nose??
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    competitive wanking.

Awesome. How would it feel to go home to the family.... "Sorry guys, I placed 4th in wanking"

I actually got an award in June for competitive wanking at an event.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    And two years ago, in a distant corner of the internet, Emmaaaaa and Billy had a similar discussion (except that it didn't go on for four pages):

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100307045236AA7hygV

:smile:
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    ummmmmmmm, wtf, not a sport??? you're on crack....i'm sure you can do either on of those SPORTS with your eyes closed right?
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    cant think of any, has poker made it to the olimpics yet?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close

by this logic you need to add boxing.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options

is that picking its nose??

Ewww... it is. maybe this one is better

donotfeedthetrolls2.jpg
  • SaxophoneNerd
    SaxophoneNerd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

Gymnastics isn't a sport? Seriously?
    tumblr_m0g9t3XAtG1r684eqo1_500.gif
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

It's the "Olympic Games" not the "Olympic Sports."

Your point is invalid.
    game 1 (gm)
    n.
    1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.
    a. A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.
    b. A single instance of such an activity: We lost the first game.
    c. games An organized athletic program or contest: track-and-field games; took part in the winter games.
    d. A period of competition or challenge: It was too late in the game to change the schedule of the project.

:happy:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    competitive wanking.

Awesome. How would it feel to go home to the family.... "Sorry guys, I placed 4th in wanking"

:noway: :laugh: ok ill bite howed you place?:huh: :laugh:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    They are all a sport. A "Sport" by definition is: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Just because someone says something is not a sport doesn't mean it's not. I can quack like a duck.... But it doesn't make me a duck.

according to ESPN, both poker and golf are 'sports'. clearly, neither are sports.
  • SaxophoneNerd
    SaxophoneNerd Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    competitive wanking.

^^This tumblr_m808w4sBsS1rrdwdy.gif
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

There are so many things wrong with this statement that have nothing to do with the Olympics, I don't even know where to begin.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    If it was a discussion I may be able to agree that the judging is flawed and needs to be changed to allow for it to make less of an impact. But yes. There is discrimination and prejudices that go into these SPORTS that have been addressed (gymnastics is no longer out of 10). If this was an educated discussion, I could agree. But all-out debasement that had no explanation besides what seems to be meat-head idiocracy or close-mindedness (I said what seems to be...) I will fight and I mean fight hard for those sports, having done ALL three of the few judged sports in the olympics he mentioned.

There are sports that are partially 'judged': boxing, wrestling, judo...race-walking.

Again, if this was an educated discussion between you (jofjltncb6) and I, I would be willing to have it.