olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close

by the way, your definition of what is NOT a sport would also involve the following:

Ice skating
    Ski jumping
    Boxing
    Dressage
    Judo
    Taewondo
    Weight lifting

Yes on.some, no on others

I said sports SOLELY based on judging...i.e. Ice skating

Oh, but they are all judged sports OP, I thought you said all judged events were not sports?? Are you backtracking on your statement then?

I said sports SOLELY based on judging, i.e. ice skating

You have not been involved in very many activites have you OP LMAO!!

No boxing or taekwondo or anything like that then?
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you are not serious? Yes....those are sports.

Now curling?? WTH is that (yes its a Winter Olympic "sport", but still.....WTH??)
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

As a qualified coach to more than one of those sports (yes, yes), I would love to see you do any of them :P

I second this :)
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Now curling?? WTH is that (yes its a Winter Olympic "sport", but still.....WTH??)

After I took the time to understand curling I thought it was AWESOME!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

I'm open minded, but I just dont get it. Seems like shuffle board on ice. :ohwell:
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Anything based solely on judging is NOT a sport. Its performance. Is it hard? Yes, could i do it? No....is it a sport? Not even close

by the way, your definition of what is NOT a sport would also involve the following:

Ice skating
    Ski jumping
    Boxing
    Dressage
    Judo
    Taewondo
    Weight lifting

Oh, but they are all judged sports OP, I thought you said all judged events were not sports?? Are you backtracking on your statement then?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Since when.isboxing SOLELY based on judging?
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

LOL, this guy. Gymnasts are and will be in better shape than you could ever dream. Also coming from an ex- Naval SAR Swimmer, swimming is NO joke buddy.
  • jyuubi
    jyuubi Posts: 109
    Options
    Swimming is a sport. It's not based on judging, it's based on speed.

I don't know if I'd count diving as a sport, even if it isn't easy, but gymnastics? You need to be perfect at it or you're screwed.

How can you say something based on judging isn't a sport? =/ All other sports are based on something. Whether it be speed, or be the amount of points someone gets...why can't judging be one of those ways?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Ice skating
    Ski jumping
    Boxing
    Dressage
    Judo
    Taewondo
    Weight lifting

[/quote]

Since when.isboxing SOLELY based on judging?
    [/quote]

dude, you are the OP.

OP= original poster. as in, originally posted the thread.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Sport (or, in the United States, sports) is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical fitness and provide entertainment to participants.[2] Hundreds of sports exist, from those requiring only two participants, through to those with hundreds of simultaneous participants, either in teams or competing as individuals. Sports are usually governed by a set of rules or customs, which serve to ensure fair competition, and allow consistent adjudication of the winner. Winning can by determined by physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first, or by the determination of judges who are scoring elements of the sporting performance, including objective or subjective measures such as technical performance or artistic impression.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    sport: [spawrt, spohrt]
    noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

That would be the dictionary proving your opinion doesn't constitute fact.

Competing for opinions...not a sport

If this is the case then nothing is a sport. If you are wrong in the referees "opinion" then you don't get the point or whatever you are competing for in your sport.

Example:
    Did he really throw a strike or a ball? Ask the ump his opinion
    Did he step out of bounds or not? Ask the referee his opinion
    Was he really fouled or did they just give him that foul shot? This ref's opinion sucks. He is wrong.

Just saying. Your logic is flawed, sir.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Yes.. Curling is awesome.

I just want to know what the f*&K is up with PING PONG as an olympic sport. I don't have any problems with ANYTHING else..
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    cool story bro
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    How are those not a sport?! I was expecting you to say something like cheerleading (which I know is not an olympic sport, but still), shooting, etc. My cousin is a gymnist and it takes a lot to do it. I'd love to see you do all of it though.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Please don't feed the trolls.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Thumb wrestling? Sport or not a sport? <EG> This thread is beyond ridiculous. Ironically, I consider Archery to be a sport. You compete against others and it takes technique to pull it off AND physical strength. I've tried drawing a true bow (not the silly things with the wheels that make it easy) and I can tell you - most of us would probably have a hard time pulling a re curve let alone aiming it to hit a target. It's a sport meaning people do it for recreation and try to meet a very specific goal.

I actually looked it up in Websters and it's a funny word because it basically means doing any recreational activity for enjoyment OR living up to an ideal. In other words, this is one of those things that's impossible to win so I'm guessing he's just "sporting" with us.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Trolling is a sport!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    sport: [spawrt, spohrt]
    noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

That would be the dictionary proving your opinion doesn't constitute fact.

Competing for opinions...not a sport

If this is the case then nothing is a sport. If you are wrong in the referees "opinion" then you don't get the point or whatever you are competing for in your sport.

Example:
    Did he really throw a strike or a ball? Ask the ump his opinion
    Did he step out of bounds or not? Ask the referee his opinion
    Was he really fouled or did they just give him that foul shot? This ref's opinion sucks. He is wrong.

Just saying. Your logic is flawed, sir.

tou****ingche
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Both my kids are team gymnasts. They compete with other teams, so obviously thats a sport. Am I sure they could both kick your butt at it~lol

Im sure theyre better dancers than me too....doesnt make it a sport

there's something to be said for ART... dancers rule....so a sport requires a finish line or a 'winner'? I don't do judo or boxing but aren't they, well 'judged.' I mean unless someone is bloody knocked out cold... how do they score? wrestlers get points, don't they? by the way, I'd excel at the george hamilton cocobutter open.. I was at a job interview once and the interviewer informed me 'tanning isn't a sport." "It is the way I do it" I didn't get the job
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Can u guys READ? i said synchronized swimming....ofcourse the sqim races r a sport