olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ok ppl, whether gymnasts r in great shape or i can do a freaking handstand is not an argument....i have no doubt they train hard or that alot of ppl ate entertained by it.....but that does not make it a aport

U can disagree or call me a troll, but make a legitimate argument

I did. I have yet to see your rebuttal.

They keyword is solely...do umpires judge balls n.strikes? Yes, but not the outcome of the game....a monster HR needs no judge. My point is anything solely based on judging is basically performance art

It's not. It's based on your execution of the exercise, but also the difficulty of it. That part is as important in the scoring. In gymnastics, they just add the execution with the difficulty, and in diving it's a multiplier, but it's very important.

Weight lifting in a way is very similar. The "difficulty" is the choice of weight you try to lift, and the score is binary (in this case, still, all three judges have to judge that the lift was done properly, kind of like execution).

I see Tennis as a game that requires good physical performance, and diving, gymnastics, etc as feats of strength. You compete based on the difficulty of the feats you choose but also the perfect execution of them. Two vastly different activities, both sports.

Boy, you must really like archery and ping pong :p
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Here ya go

sport   
    noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

courtesy of the dictionary. :)

/end thread

Um, which of those is solely based on.judging? Thank u
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am glad you have yours but until you actually do these things I don't think you can judge.
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Gymnastics takes a high level of physical skill, muscle memory, it's physically and mentally demanding - they suffer thru pain, get injuries, endure intense pressure, have to be very muscular and yes, they have to be a certain build (more petite) due to the physics of the movements and skills, so not everyone can do it, but it's still a sport.

I am trying to figure out what makes it NOT a sport.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. OP says something demonstrating that he doesn't know the definition of the word "sport", or possibly that he's made up his own definition, and dozens of people lose their *kitten* and misunderstand him to a degree that seems almost willful.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Ill just agree to disagree since u r all allergic to logic
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    clay disc shooting.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Gymnastics takes a high level of physical skill, muscle memory, it's physically and mentally demanding - they suffer thru pain, get injuries, endure intense pressure, have to be very muscular and yes, they have to be a certain build (more petite) due to the physics of the movements and skills, so not everyone can do it, but it's still a sport.

I give up....
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Ok ppl, whether gymnasts r in great shape or i can do a freaking handstand is not an argument....i have no doubt they train hard or that alot of ppl ate entertained by it.....but that does not make it a aport

They keyword is solely...do umpires judge balls n.strikes? Yes, but not the outcome of the game....a monster HR needs no judge. My point is anything solely based on judging is basically performance art

What they judge can affect the outcome of the game. For example, if enough batters are walked, the team can score a run. If it's the last inning, they win because of that run. So yes, umpires can affect the outcome of the game.
  • Masterdo
    Options
    Here ya go

sport   
    noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

/end thread

If both fighters are still standing at the end, boxing is entirely based on judging.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Here ya go

sport   
    noun

/end thread

You said they weren't sports. That was your original complaint. I was just giving you the definition which clearly states they are sports. It also says in the definition "competitive" which sometimes not always in some cases refers to judging. If you can't understand that, I give. You win even though you don't. :)
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here ya go

sport   
    noun

/end thread

If I said a dog was something that has four legs, a tail, and pointy ears does that mean that a dog without pointy ears isn't a dog? Or a dog that had its tail bound isn't a dog? Or my cat is a dog?

No.

'Thank u'
  • Masterdo
    Options

I give up....

Another question : Where did you read that to qualify to be a sport, you have to compete on maximizing one completely arbitrary metric? That seems to be the basis of your question, yet you pretty much pulled this from your @ss...
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    clay disc shooting.

Haha yes, I mentioned this too.... Saw it on TV earlier and was like Why the F*** is that in the Olympics? haha
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

What they judge can affect the outcome of the game. For example, if enough batters are walked, the team can score a run. If it's the last inning, they win because of that run. So yes, umpires can affect the outcome of the game.

Thank you so very much!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm the only one that noticed (or at least acknowledged) the distinction. If I understand what he's saying, his definition of sport depends on whether the objective is primarily objective or primarily subjective. The winner of a primarily subjective event is determined entirely by the points awarded by a judge(s). The winner of a primarily objective event is determined entirely by the speed/height/number of goals/other-objective-criteria. You can argue that his definition doesn't match the definition you found online, but surely at least someone else can at least understand the distinction he is making without getting all emotionally out of sorts about it.

All of the arguments about the fitness of the competitors, the OP's relative fitness, etc., while entertaining, are not relevant...

And I can't believe I just got pulled into an actual discussion of the merits of this thread. That does it. I'm grounding myself from this thread until I can learn from my mistake.

^ You are just too logical for your own good. LOL
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    :laugh: @ everyone sticking up for gymnastics but not synchronized swimming

OP what if we had all the little gymnasts battle it out in a tumble off and the one tiny tumble left standing is the winner? would that make it a sport?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Here ya go

sport   
    noun

/end thread

If I said a dog was something that has four legs, a tail, and pointy ears does that mean that a dog without pointy ears isn't a dog? Or a dog that had its tail bound isn't a dog? Or my cat is a dog?

No.

'Thank u'
    Actually, if we define a dog that way, a creature without pointy ears would not be a dog by our definition. That's basically what's happened here: OP has narrowly re-defined a well-known word. According to his definition, these things are not sport. The problem is that his definition is faulty.

The other problem is that so many people (not all) are debating based on qualities unrelated to his faulty definition, rather than pointing out that it's wrong.

For instance, the argument that OP can't say gymnastics isn't a sport because he can't do it - that has no merit. If he happened to be an accomplished gymnast would he then have the right to redefine the word "sport"?
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics isn't a sport beacuse Romanians are good at it.

Soccer isn't a sport because there are dots on the ball... big rule of mine, no g--damn dots on the ball. Plus you can't use your hands, nothing can be a sport if you can't use your hands.

Hockey isn't a sport, it is 3 activities going on at once - ice skating, playing with a puck, and beating the *kitten* out of somene.

Tennis isn't a sport, it is ping pong played while standing on the table. Even volleyball is just racketless team ping pong played with an inflated ball and raised net while standing on the table.

Fencing isn't a sport because you can't gamble on it. Anything you can't gamble on can't be a sport. When is the last time you made a f--king fencing bet?

- George Carlin
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options

Thank you so very much!

Could also be applied if the umpire declares a balk. If it's enforced, the pitch is nullified and each runner is given a base. That means a potential run. If it's the bottom of the 9th...the team wins.