olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    (and it may have been missed midway through, but just because it is in the Olympics doesn't make is a sport. it is the Olympic Games[i/], and while you've gotta be in shape to do what they do, ballroom dance is in no way a sport.)
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    art and poetry and essay writing used to be in from 1896 to 1948

my favorite former Olympic event is tug-of-war.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As I've said a few times on this thread...if he was educated about what he was arguing and not just stereotyping and prejudicial, yeah...he may have had a point. but he didn't. And no one wants to agree with a crazy-pants who looks like a meat-head (sorry OP). The connotations that were stated around what he said were unnecessary...the caps in the topic title, the comparison to a circus...the half arguments that aren't really as justifiable.

He may have been thinking a bunch of educated reasonings but didn't state it. And after the women's gymanstics team just won the gold medal and many MANY people are still on the high of that, will definately jump onto the offensive. myself included.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    e; Meh.

Anyway, I was having a conversation with someone else the other night about something along these lines ... I think we may have been specifically talking about the Olympics, or maybe we were just griping about people in general.

But basically it came down to me saying that anything of a competitive nature can probably be deemed a sport.

Which, of course, doesn't keep me from feeling that bowling isn't a sport, or shooting skeet, or synchronized swimming, or gymnastics, or ...
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This thread is about a dude changing the real definition of a word to his own version and then using that new made-up definition to show that his initial point was right.... tuly the most bizarre thing I have read today.

the OP didn't come off well, but some of that is due to some wild reaction opposite his point of view from the start. fwiw, I've been a sports writer and a sports editor. now am a sports page designer. been in and around athletics all my life. and while he didn't articulate it well from the start, I tend to agree with him.

So what is he really trying to say then, because he can't just redefine the meaning of a word and call it fact. Being extrememly kind I could maybe guess he means this: "I do not think these sports should be included in the olympics as I feel that the scoring system is to arbitrary to be fair." Is that it?
  • tobielauren
    Options

naked wrestling :)
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Shut up.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Tug-of-war would be friggin' awesome to watch! Tournament style.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm the only one that noticed (or at least acknowledged) the distinction. If I understand what he's saying, his definition of sport depends on whether the objective is primarily objective or primarily subjective. The winner of a primarily subjective event is determined entirely by the points awarded by a judge(s). The winner of a primarily objective event is determined entirely by the speed/height/number of goals/other-objective-criteria. You can argue that his definition doesn't match the definition you found online, but surely at least someone else can at least understand the distinction he is making without getting all emotionally out of sorts about it.

All of the arguments about the fitness of the competitors, the OP's relative fitness, etc., while entertaining, are not relevant...

And I can't believe I just got pulled into an actual discussion of the merits of this thread. That does it. I'm grounding myself from this thread until I can learn from my mistake.

I can't believe I'm actually replying to this ridiculous thread but here goes...

All of the sports the OP mentioned can very well be considered objectively judged. The judges do not deduct points based on what they feel like. They deduct points based on a very vigorous metric and scoring system. Was that turn a full turn or was it only a 3/4 turn. Did she get the full 2 flips she needed to get to pull off the move she has listed in her program? The judges all get a list of exactly what maneuvers will be attempted in each individual program and each competitor is judged on weather or not they did it. Those, sir, are called objective results. The judges at the olympics are not just sitting up there going "wow, did I like that?" So, once again logic wins the day.

Oh, and just to feed the troll a little more, things like ping pong and skeet shooting would definitely be considered sports by the OP's twisted logic....

The most logical and intelligent point - counterpoint in the thread. I can see what the OP means to say, even if I don't agree.

I think the olympics are less about "sports" and more about being the best of the best in whatever competition, not necessarily a literal sport.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    who gives a s***, I mean really, these are people who have been perfecting their art, sport, style, bodies, minds, and talents for most of their lives for this moment to show what they've got. Let it be. I'll never understand why people dabble in such trivial things. If you don't like it, disagree with it, or think its bogus......DONT WATCH IT.....people always want to complain but why, when solutions are so readily avaiilable.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    troll in the dungeon
  • eleeke2008
    Options
    Ok, Gymnastics is most definitely a sport. I used to compete on a team back in middle school and it was in no way shape or form easy. Honestly, the only thing i dont think is a sport is ping pong....i guess i just dont get it. Also, dont get me wrong i love shooting, i love guns, but i dont really see shooting as a physical sport
  • halobender
    Options
    I think the olympics are less about "sports" and more about being the best of the best in whatever competition, not necessarily a literal sport.
    I think the olympics are less about sports and being the best of the best, and more about giving corporations an opportunity to make more money.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

naked wrestling :)

they used to have rope climbing close out the games, actually. other fun events no longer around are obstacle swimming, live pigeon shooting and a version of croquet. oh, and let's not forget solo synchronized swimming. that was around for three games, into the 90s.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

I think the olympics are less about sports and being the best of the best, and more about giving corporations an opportunity to make more money.

Yay politics! I knew this thread lacked something.
  • halobender
    Options
    Oh don't be a douche, it's just an obvious statement.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    We are also missing the vestal virgins of the ancient games.

Actually there were many different games all grouped under the name of the Panhellenic Games. Each was to honor a different god in a different part of Greece.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Oh don't be a douche, it's just an obvious statement.

Right, and I don't doubt that what you said is a large part of it, but you can't tell me that no one there is in it for the love of the game. Its like pro sports stars, yeah some play for the money but some play because they enjoy it. You can't make a generalizing statement without qualifiers.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    the IOC organization is one of the most corrupt, sexist, anti-semetic, racist, ableist, elitist, etc organizations I have ever seen. And that also includes past USOC officials.

The athletes may be in it for the love of the game and to make some money to bring home, but the people at the top, there's a lot of shady business.

But that's neither here nor there and doesn't really have much to do with the whole sport argument.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    the IOC organization is one of the most corrupt, sexist, anti-semetic, racist, ableist, elitist, etc organizations I have ever seen. And that also includes past USOC officials.

The athletes may be in it for the love of the game and to make some money to bring home, but the people at the top, there's a lot of shady business.

But that's neither here nor there and doesn't really have much to do with the whole sport argument.

Of course its about the elite, its the olympics. And I agree, it had nothing to do with the thread, halobender brought that up.

Edit: I was specifically talking about the athletes themselves, not corporate whoever the fvck.