olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options

Replies

• ncates00
    ncates00 Posts: 51
    Options
    You are entitled to your opinion, OP. However, that's just it- YOUR opinion. Just because you feel that way does not mean it is a fact. You can jump up and down and say those things are not a sport all you want. You are incorrect in your assessment of what a sport is. You are biased and contradictory in your evaluation of what sport is.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

Holy ****!

Have you even seen the bodies of the athletes you are criticizing?

I dare you to do just 2 minutes of egg beater with your hands on your head. With a bit of luck, you might even drown...

Gymnasts and divers have some of the most well composed bodies in all sports. Rotating like they do takes some crazy strong muscles, and not the "kind of muscle you develop lifting dumb weights in one unnatural stance, kipping as much as you can, with bad posture, fist bumping your other douche buddies before taking a duck face picture pumping your biceps to the mirror" kind of muscles. The kind that are FUNCTIONALLY super strong, that you can take full advantage of while in total control and while keeping balance.

Sit back and admire, because with that attitude there's no chance you'll be 1/100th that awesome any day soon. Learn something while you can, it's once every 4 years only.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Like I said.

Can you tread water with your entire upper body out of the water? You probably can't even do it without your hands. Get a life.

And in case anyone was wondering,

Art and literature was actually in the Olympics from 1896 to 1948ish because Pierre de Coubertain thought that art and sport went hand in hand.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Can u guys READ? i said synchronized swimming....ofcourse the sqim races r a sport

Can you spell, like at all? Because every single response you've posted there have been ridiculous glaring errors. Maybe instead of worrying about your super swoll arms you should try feeding your brain some intellectualism.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Ok ppl, whether gymnasts r in great shape or i can do a freaking handstand is not an argument....i have no doubt they train hard or that alot of ppl ate entertained by it.....but that does not make it a aport

U can disagree or call me a troll, but make a legitimate argument
  • tobielauren
    Options
    And I am a PhD student in sport and exercise psychology.

I am educated in sport and the terminology surrounding sport.

You are wrong.

Argument won.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ok ppl, whether gymnasts r in great shape or i can do a freaking handstand is not an argument....i have no doubt they train hard or that alot of ppl ate entertained by it.....but that does not make it a aport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

Another option would be the dictionnary, probably the very big book you use to level your BenchPress bench. Look at it sometime, it's got pictures!
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I did. I have yet to see your rebuttal.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Can u guys READ? i said synchronized swimming....ofcourse the sqim races r a sport

Can you spell, like at all? Because every single response you've posted there have been ridiculous glaring errors. Maybe instead of worrying about your super swoll arms you should try feeding your brain some intellectualism.

Im typing on a ph, i apologize for offending ur grammar sensibilities
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a gymnast? I mean really??!? Those young women got some muscles. (sorry, don't really watch the men)
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options

I did. I have yet to see your rebuttal.

They keyword is solely...do umpires judge balls n.strikes? Yes, but not the outcome of the game....a monster HR needs no judge. My point is anything solely based on judging is basically performance art
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Have you ever seen a gymnast? I mean really??!? Those young women got some muscles. (sorry, don't really watch the men)

So.do pro wrestlers n.body builders...both.not sports
  • saraann4
    Options

OHHH I got you... You are one of those.

Look up what a sport is....look up the Olympics. Educate yourself.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Since when.isboxing SOLELY based on judging?

Boxing involves the judges. You don't watch much boxing do you.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    pro wrestling and body building are for entertainment.

you have no respect for athletes and sports. just stop trying to defend your idiocracy.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options

Well, according to the definition of "sport", it does. They are competing, and what they do requires physical prowess. How is it not a sport? It doesn't matter whether or not it's judged. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport.
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    but make a legitimate argument

I do not think that you have made a legitimate argument, you stated your opinion over and over, with no supplying facts or information to credit why you have that opinion...

Basically, not a legitimate argument, just your biased and condescending opinion of these ATHLETES who have trained their entire lives for the Olympic moments they are achieving, it is sort of disgusting how easily you can discredit their strength, fitness and overall amazingness.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    what's your take on snowboarding in the winter olympics?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm the only one that noticed (or at least acknowledged) the distinction. If I understand what he's saying, his definition of sport depends on whether the objective is primarily objective or primarily subjective. The winner of a primarily subjective event is determined entirely by the points awarded by a judge(s). The winner of a primarily objective event is determined entirely by the speed/height/number of goals/other-objective-criteria. You can argue that his definition doesn't match the definition you found online, but surely at least someone else can at least understand the distinction he is making without getting all emotionally out of sorts about it.

All of the arguments about the fitness of the competitors, the OP's relative fitness, etc., while entertaining, are not relevant...

And I can't believe I just got pulled into an actual discussion of the merits of this thread. That does it. I'm grounding myself from this thread until I can learn from my mistake.
  • saraann4
    Options
    Here ya go

sport   
    noun
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

courtesy of the dictionary. :)

/end thread