olympic events that r NOT a sport

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• blz_ocean
    blz_ocean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Highly entertained by this entire thread! I love both the ridiculous comments as well as the people who have made some very valid points. It is actually a good question - what truly defines a sport? Yes, I saw all of the dictionary posts...no need to post more.

But all of that aside, you have to admit that trampoline as an Olympic event is hilarious. No need to argue that it is hard and takes skill. Agreed. But come on! Trampoline! THAT is funny :laugh:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Highly entertained by this entire thread! I love both the ridiculous comments as well as the people who have made some very valid points. It is actually a good question - what truly defines a sport? Yes, I saw all of the dictionary posts...no need to post more.

But all of that aside, you have to admit that trampoline as an Olympic event is hilarious. No need to argue that it is hard and takes skill. Agreed. But come on! Trampoline! THAT is funny :laugh:

OMG the height.. I just watched.. the flips. OMG.. how fun can fun be???? flips .....backflips.... spreadeagles one right after the other...tramp is a BALLL thanks for pointing me to it.. wow.
  • blz_ocean
    blz_ocean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! If I could be in the Olympics, I would want to compete in trampoline. So fun!
  • jerber160
    Options
    Gymnastics, synchronized swimmimg and diving....those all moght as well b cirque de so

Those are my three favourite sports to watch in the Olympics!!!!
    i don't think I've ever cried watching the olympics but when the silk fliers take off in cirque du soleil, i soar with them...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Shooting not physical? Have you ever tried holding a rifle in a standing position and slowing your pulse and controlling your heart rate for that delicate trigger squeeze?

My pet peeve is why take softball out of the olympics and keep in things like ping pong and badmiton?

My vote for not a sport is equestrian. Not the way the olympics does it. Now left them rope and wrestle cattle and that is a sport!

Badminton is a super-fast sport, that shuttlecock travelling at speeds of over 200mph.

Table tennis is skillful, you are just not playing it correctly if you find it easy.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Beach volley ball? Really? Volleyball in general... come on this is a drinking game not a sport!

MMA should replace this crap.

MMA wouldn't make sense.
    They already have Judo and Wrestling.

Not to mention that you can't really compete in multiple rounds of MMA over the course of a week. People would get destroyed.
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    Have you NOT seen how hard all their bodies are???? Its definitely a sport!

So people in shape = must be sports?

WOW....lmao
  • deads99
    deads99 Posts: 77
    Options
    bro, the men's gymnastic team could crack your skull with their thighs. please.

So strong people = must be sports?

lol, moronic posts FTW!!!!
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    why isnt Rugby an Olympic Sport? I played for 3 years and lemme tell you that *kitten* isnt easy!

Just because it's hard doesn't qualify it automatically.

Actually in 2016, rugby and golf will be added.

The sports that are, have been, and will be included in the olympics are ever changing and based on the IOC and other things. Hence why baseball and softball were pulled but may be added back in time
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    why isnt Rugby an Olympic Sport? I played for 3 years and lemme tell you that *kitten* isnt easy!

Just because it's hard doesn't qualify it automatically.

Actually in 2016, rugby and golf will be added.

The sports that are, have been, and will be included in the olympics are ever changing and based on the IOC and other things. Hence why baseball and softball were pulled but may be added back in time

I was sad to hear they pulled baseball and softball and kept other sports, to me, those are real sports compared to say shooting, you know?
  • tobielauren
    Options
    The IOC does some shady things. They took ot those two sports bc of American dominance even though the US softball team didn't win the gold their last year in. What sports are in the Olympics comes down to three things....history, money, politics
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Race walking, badminton, table tennis!!!
  • tobielauren
    Options
    Race-walking is an event in a sport....track and field...thats like saying the 400im in swimming is a sport our not a sport
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_sevens_at_the_Summer_Olympics
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    As long as they NEVER get rid of women's beach volleyball I don't give a sh1t
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Clearly you have never played badminton.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Clearly you have never played badminton.

Or seen the people who race walk. They can walk faster then most can run.
  • jerber160
    Options
    as i read over this i realize i don't see the need for basketball.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What about referees in football... don't they do some judging based on whether or not the ball passed through goal or over endzone line?

No, they are not judging the ball, it either went thru the posts or it didn't. They aren't standing there counting the rotations of the ball or the stylistic prowess of how the player gets to the end zone. Trying to compare referee to a gymnast judge is just plain silly. I would liken them more to a play ground monitor, you think they are there to let you play fair ball, but in reality they are just looking for people to bust for breaking rules.

Football games are not won by subjective opinions. Do they make bad calls sometimes? Sure, but its rarely an entire game changer