I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Replies

• WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Well, no one needs to be sh!tting rainbows and glitter everywhere lol. Like I said I do close the threads that bother me. I just find it disheartening when I'm coming on these forums trying to get help and help others and that's the sort of thing I see all the time.

That is why majority of the time I stay within my friends list, my news feed and the few select groups I belong too... sometimes there really is great information in the forums, but majority of the time the best information you can get is from the knowledge in your friends list.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Aw but glitter hurts my feelings.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    OK, Then I agree with you.....I thought you were saying everyone should **** rainbows and glitter...........Not all opinions are correct (or at least backed by any scientific evidence)
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Glitter is not a problem, but rainbows kind of hurt!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.

This right here highlights the problem. Even the "can't we all get along" crowd waits until they get their digs in before softening it with a "can't we all get along".

personally, I dislike the forums because people ask for advice and then argue why the good advice they're getting won't work. Or they go into a thread and declare that a certain body type (generally strong women) is "gross". Or they start and "hear Hear" an unending number of threads with "aren't we all here for the same reason? Why can't we be positive and kind and buy the world a Coke and teach everyone to sing?"

It has truly gotten to where the forums are pretty much useless. I've found friends in there, but now, I have enough friends that the collective wisdom and badassery on my newsfeed is sufficient. I'll sometimes hopefully follow a friend into a thread. More often than not the experience is disappointing like this one.

Here's the thing, though, many of my friends I requested when I saw them trying to provide solid and sound advice only to be shouted down by special snowflakes that perform sorcery and are able to build muscle at a deficit that brings their intake below BMR and when they're not even doing a proper muscle building strength program (to name one such controversy around here). The OP of those threads (not this OP per se) or loudest person on the thread refused to listen, but I did, and I learned and that's good enough for me.

Just because someone asks a question around here doesn't necessarily mean they are willing to hear the answer and be polite. More often than not the "supportive attitude" problem can be laid at the feet of the obstinate jerk that wants to ask but will not hear an answer other than the one he or she wants.

So the answer above that Princess BeNiceButICanCallYouRude up there objected to is actually a good one. I spend much less time in the forums and it seems to keep me happier that way. But the problem isn't people who answer in a manner that is snarky, its the entitled attitude of people who can be rude to others and then in the next beat complain about lack of support.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    special snowflakes that perform sorcery and are able to build muscle at a deficit that brings their intake below BMR and when they're not even doing a proper muscle building strength program

I love you.:smooched:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.

This right here highlights the problem. Even the "can't we all get along" crowd waits until they get their digs in before softening it with a "can't we all get along".

personally, I dislike the forums because people ask for advice and then argue why the good advice they're getting won't work. Or they go into a thread and declare that a certain body type (generally strong women) is "gross". Or they start and "hear Hear" an unending number of threads with "aren't we all here for the same reason? Why can't we be positive and kind and buy the world a Coke and teach everyone to sing?"

It has truly gotten to where the forums are pretty much useless. I've found friends in there, but now, I have enough friends that the collective wisdom and badassery on my newsfeed is sufficient. I'll sometimes hopefully follow a friend into a thread. More often than not the experience is disappointing like this one.

Here's the thing, though, many of my friends I requested when I saw them trying to provide solid and sound advice only to be shouted down by special snowflakes that perform sorcery and are able to build muscle at a deficit that brings their intake below BMR and when they're not even doing a proper muscle building strength program (to name one such controversy around here). The OP of those threads (not this OP per se) or loudest person on the thread refused to listen, but I did, and I learned and that's good enough for me.

Just because someone asks a question around here doesn't necessarily mean they are willing to hear the answer and be polite. More often than not the "supportive attitude" problem can be laid at the feet of the obstinate jerk that wants to ask but will not hear an answer other than the one he or she wants.

So the answer above that Princess BeNiceButICanCallYouRude up there objected to is actually a good one. I spend much less time in the forums and it seems to keep me happier that way. But the problem isn't people who answer in a manner that is snarky, its the entitled attitude of people who can be rude to others and then in the next beat complain about lack of support.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Wonderful post !!!! Thanks. I hate it when someone is new to MFP and is asking a question that most of us already have the answer to. Let's give the newbies a break and help them out instead of chewing them out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    when someone posts a picture of a female body build and says "i don't want to look like this, so i'm going to not do any strength training," you're going to get a snarky response.

when someone posts up "why am i not losing weight" and their diary shows a sub-1000 calorie, you're going to get a snarky response.

when someone severely overweight says they can't somehow can't eat more then 1200 calories, you're going to get a snarky response.

when someone asks what is the "absolute best way to build muscle/reduce back fat/get a thigh gap" you're going to get a snarky response.

but what i hate (and i try not to post in those threads) is when someone asks how to get the quickest results possible, like, 6 weeks or less. in a way they're saying that all the time and effort that i've been putting in for this last year mean nothing, that i could've done in just six week. because if i post in that thread, i'll get perma-banned because i'll fly off the handle.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    I agree. Seems to be a few snobby people on here that like "tease" others like they're still in elementary school. Just what I've noticed. I think it's rude and definitely discouraging to the people who are just starting out.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    I agree with you! Props to you for putting yourself out there!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    when someone posts a picture of a female body build and says "i don't want to look like this, so i'm going to not do any strength training," you're going to get a snarky response.

when someone posts up "why am i not losing weight" and their diary shows a sub-1000 calorie, you're going to get a snarky response.

when someone severely overweight says they can't somehow can't eat more then 1200 calories, you're going to get a snarky response.

when someone asks what is the "absolute best way to build muscle/reduce back fat/get a thigh gap" you're going to get a snarky response.

but what i hate (and i try not to post in those threads) is when someone asks how to get the quickest results possible, like, 6 weeks or less. in a way they're saying that all the time and effort that i've been putting in for this last year mean nothing, that i could've done in just six week. because if i post in that thread, i'll get perma-banned because i'll fly off the handle.

and I love you! :smooched:
  • Capt_Apollo
    I agree. Seems to be a few snobby people on here that like "tease" others like they're still in elementary school. Just what I've noticed. I think it's rude and definitely discouraging to the people who are just starting out.

well, some girl posted up a picture of a riiiiiiiiped girl; six pack, killer thighs and arms. she asked how not to look like that, and all she was doing was 30 day shred and running a mile or two a few times a week. our responses were more like 'rolling our eyes' rather then being mean.

it's like saying one basketball practice is going to make you lebron.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Definitely agree with you, many people on here suck.

Basically the reason why I stopped trying in the forums at this point.
  • Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That is kind of rude. I will say that its not needed to post in EVERY forum. I dont see why people post rude things in forums. If the forum doesnt pertain to you, simply click out of it. She doesnt like how rude people on this site can be. SHOOT, she may be even talking about me. I posted a forum earlier and it ended up getting mildly rude because people got out of control with it. I didnt like the direction it took when all I was doing was trying to help. I dont think its fair to "mock" anyone asking for help. Help them and dont put them down!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member

See? Full of support and building people up!! Yay!

There's a thread going right now about the best way to reduce back fat. The actual answer, sadly, is that you can't lose weight in a specific area, but you have to lose weight all over. A couple people have said that, but they're being ignored for all the people suggesting specific weight lifting moves for the back, or 30 Day Shred, or some other routine. I could go in there and say, "No really, you have to reduce all over fat, sorry. Weight lifting in a specific area isn't going to mean the fat there goes away faster. All these other activities are valuable for the purpose of burning calories, and the weight lifting would preserve the sexy back muscle, but for real you have to lose all over body fat". This ain't my first rodeo. I know the response would be a swarm of 30DS'ers telling me to go away with my discouragement. Or that the Back Fat Bible worked for me! Who are you to be so discouraging, coming in here with your reasoned facts and observable reality!?! and then its a big freak out.

ETA to be more specific, I should have said you can't lose "fat" in a specific area but have to lose "fat" everywhere. Sorry for any confusion.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    I'm upset i can;t poop rainbows :bigsmile:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    no sense of humor??? If I offended it was just joking. I tend to be sarcastic but mean no harm.

I think people need to lighten up.
  • no sense of humor??? If I offended it was just joking. I tend to be sarcastic but mean no harm.

I think people need to lighten up.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    I'll take good, snarky advice over sweet, kind nonsense every day. Example:

"You know you really should lift, it's better than that other crap you're doing."

"Oh honey it's ok! You keep eating 6 tiny meals between 7am and 5pm! You're working so hard at it it's gotta work!"

One of these is actually helpful advice. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it. Get the truth. THAT'S what we're actually here for. If you just want someone to tell you how special you are call your mother.