I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    It's a tough old world girl, strap on that helmet.

Hell if anything I advise people listen TO the snarky advice! They always seem to be the people who know what they're talking about and have had the most success. Most everyone who helped me has been banned from this site or is about to. Because of all the supportive, caring, kind people who don't want to hear what they have to say and click the report button like it burns calories.

^ That.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

I totally agree. The ability to agree to disagree is completely out the window, let alone disagreeing respectfully.

That being said, there are a lot of people that are actually very timid and non-assertive in real life and message boards, commenting on blogs/news articles and the comment section on you-tube are the only places where they feel the confidence to say what's really on their minds. Its called being a 'keyboard warrior'.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    I am here for the good health advice, yes. It just bothers me seeing the other stuff. I guess I need to stop being so sensitive and worrying about the things other people are saying if it doesn't pertain to me.

It's a tough old world girl, strap on that helmet.

Hell if anything I advise people listen TO the snarky advice! They always seem to be the people who know what they're talking about and have had the most success. Most everyone who helped me has been banned from this site or is about to. Because of all the supportive, caring, kind people who don't want to hear what they have to say and click the report button like it burns calories.

I think it's just my opinion then that not being nasty and snarky works better in the long run. I don't ever want to put people off by being rude. I'm studying to be a dietitian and when I'm counseling my clients someday, I would never tear them down for not knowing something. Sure people need a little kick in the butt to straighten them out sometimes if they are downright wrong and stubborn about what they're thinking or doing. But snarking shouldn't be the very first thing you resort to when someone asks a question to which you think the answer is super obvious.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    peachyxoxox
    I agree! I posted a question last week about supplements and someone answered me with such an abrupt respond, that I kind of felt stupid!

Anyway, good for you!
    This is the kind of over-sensitivity that breeds threads like this. There's a big difference between abrupt and rude. But some people feel like anything that doesn't start with "omg you are amazing" is mean.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.
    You all have every right to think what you want, is it supposed to be for support? Yeah probably but you know what, there is about 100 of these posts made every damn day. Whaaaaaa I am tired of the sarcasm... whaaaaaaa I am tired of people being mean. Lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya and *kitten* rainbows and glitters for everyone.

I am not really hear to blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*... it really is simple, stay out of the forums if they bother you. Or if you see a thread that turned you off close it. Its the interwebs you are allowed to do that. Also 9 times out of 10 the sarcastic threads happen in the chit-chat fun and games section. If crap bothers you to the point that you need to make a post about it you should probably just stay out of the forums, and go to the groups where you can be with like minded people - groups are a wonderful thing.

You, and the others who post about this, could take your own advice. If you've answered the same question over and over and are tired of it, don't go into those threads. You didn't have to come into this thread either, if it bothers you so much. Just saying...
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    *someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet.jpg*
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    I'll take good, snarky advice over sweet, kind nonsense every day. Example:

"You know you really should lift, it's better than that other crap you're doing."

"Oh honey it's ok! You keep eating 6 tiny meals between 7am and 5pm! You're working so hard at it it's gotta work!"

One of these is actually helpful advice. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it. Get the truth. THAT'S what we're actually here for. If you just want someone to tell you how special you are call your mother.

Okay - but the thing is - it doesn't have to be either "snarky but correct" or "kind but nonsense." There is honestly no need to be rude. People get resentful when they're spoken to with a negative tone. How likely are people to take advice if the tone is " well OBVIOUSLY what you're doing is wrong, duh. Why aren't you doing it the right way like I am?"

Problem is people are fat or out of shape because they have had it sugar coated - no red pens, no 'you're wrong' mowadays - everyone can do what they want - like eating too much and being layzy

OP often just want their failure to be sugar coated so chose to take any good advice as unwanted. rude, snarky whatever you want to call it.

Honesty has become a rude trait - People take honesty as rude. If someone asks me a question I can just answer it yes or no sometimes I don't feel the need to prattle on.

'You are fat - eat less move more'

you may consider that rude

I consider it plain quality advice - I don't need to go on about you slow metabolism and poor upbringing and tough life - the excuses aren't relevant
  • Huge difference between posting for the benefit of others and posting to troll. Nobody gets sarcastic when they are genuinely trying to help others.

Egotistic types often post sarcastically when they are trying to massage their own ego or troll. Kind of funny, seeing overdeveloped ego's with so little self esteem. Funny, but common all the same. Its clearly compensating behavior.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

I've suggested a few times there needs to be a sticky about a lot of this stuff, but the evangelists for their current diet of choice will still want to say their piece. Deep breaths and click :D
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    you're not writing a psych paper are you?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    peachyxoxox
    I agree! I posted a question last week about supplements and someone answered me with such an abrupt respond, that I kind of felt stupid!

Anyway, good for you!

Was this the thread?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/687246-supplements

Apparently, that second, completely valid question, bothered you. Why?

BTW, that's not an example of what OP is talking about.

Quoting this because it is the crux of the point and like all other controversial threads, the smart thing is about to be lost in a sea of "gosh golly be nice to me you *kitten*"

And the other thing I have to say is I don't normally overquote (I dislike that very much) but when I do, its because there's some hypocrisy needing to be pointed out. The number of people who came on this thread and rudely made their point that the OP is right is down right epic. And the one person took two posts to get to full on attack mode. Attack in the name of kindness and civility? Seriously, there must be a gif for that.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    I agree with the OP however the majority of the snarky mocking trolling whatever you want to call them posts lol... are in the chit chat... category...so for the most part if you don't want the funny, mocky whatever stuff, stay out of that section on the forum... however for someone like me who tends to just click most recent posts to see whats the trend today... and the majority of them are chit chat fun games etc... it's like ugh... I don't have time to have a peek at every category I just want to see todays most talked about success story or recipe or whatever.... but some people spend A LOT of time here so I guess they need their fun somewhere too, just too bad it's always at the expense of some one/thing else. I guess you just have to know to take it for what it is... some (hopefully harmless) fun and go with it or not look at it :)

As for those who respond to a regular thread with sarcasm or search it! -- we were all new on here at some point, give people a break and let them learn too :) if you can't answer their question or don't want to because you're so beyond that... then just don't let someone who's willing to share with them do it and back out of the thread peacefully :) ... not to to say that it can't be straight forward or unsugar coated if you do answer ;)
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member

Egotistic types often post sarcastically when they are trying to massage their own ego or troll. Kind of funny, seeing overdeveloped ego's with so little self esteem. Funny, but common all the same. Its clearly compensating behavior.

oh and this ^^ lol
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Huge difference between posting for the benefit of others and posting to troll. Nobody gets sarcastic when they are genuinely trying to help others.
    A lot of truth is said in jest.

Both my ego and self esteem are through the roof! My sarcasm doesn't affect either.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    You're right. Everyone here is great. They don't need any rude advice, they're special and wonderful and smart as they come. I don't even know why anyone would ask a question?

Everyone here is going to lose every pound they want because they're all the best!

You don't have to lift heavy if you don't want to, of course 2lb dumbbells are just as good. If you don't like running you shouldn't, it can be hard and junk. Eating healthy isn't fun and sometimes expensive, don't worry too much about it. You're great! There's no way you can fail!

Everybody thin yet?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Huge difference between posting for the benefit of others and posting to troll. Nobody gets sarcastic when they are genuinely trying to help others.
    A lot of truth is said in jest.

Both my ego and self esteem are through the roof! My sarcasm doesn't affect either.
    Yes but the whiny types like to tell themselves that we're all dreadfully unhappy and we're only being mean to them to boost our own egos.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member

THIS!!! *
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Part of the problem too, is those posters who ask a question, get advice, and then get all butthurt because they don't like the advice and start arguing with the other posters. That's going to bring out the snark, and well deserved too, IMO.
  • sitasays
    sitasays Posts: 24 Member

I thought the same thing. Heh.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    bumping for fun :)