I'm getting a little tired of this to be honest

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Seems like every advice thread I click on ends up being a bunch of people throwing needless insults around. No need to be rude, people.

A few people on my friend's list refuse to go into the forums, I don't blame them.

The snarky, "I know-it-all" postings are not just on the MFP message boards either, similar stuff is happening all over the internet on all different type of boards - so much disinfo and people deliberately trying to send people off to the wrong path that it really is disturbing.

Now why exactly they would do that, there are different theories on this some of them are quite sinister, this is why, in the case of weightloss and fitness a good, basic understanding is needed otherwise the person can get swayed like the wind and pushed from pillar to post never really getting anywhere and certainly never getting any progress seen. Broscience is a pain in the proverbial butt and should be discounted as it really has appeared because of Chinese whispers (starts off as one theory but eventually ends up distorted and incorrect) - people follow this "broscience" too and then give it out as factual advice to others and inparticular newbies!

It really does come down to believing in oneself and knowing the absolute basics and don't take everybody on face value, because many are not what they seem.....
  • BillyPinky
    BillyPinky Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well said :)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I'll take good, snarky advice over sweet, kind nonsense every day. Example:

"You know you really should lift, it's better than that other crap you're doing."

"Oh honey it's ok! You keep eating 6 tiny meals between 7am and 5pm! You're working so hard at it it's gotta work!"

One of these is actually helpful advice. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it. Get the truth. THAT'S what we're actually here for. If you just want someone to tell you how special you are call your mother.

Perfect <3
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

"You know you really should lift, it's better than that other crap you're doing."

"Oh honey it's ok! You keep eating 6 tiny meals between 7am and 5pm! You're working so hard at it it's gotta work!"

One of these is actually helpful advice. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it. Get the truth. THAT'S what we're actually here for. If you just want someone to tell you how special you are call your mother.

Okay - but the thing is - it doesn't have to be either "snarky but correct" or "kind but nonsense." There is honestly no need to be rude. People get resentful when they're spoken to with a negative tone. How likely are people to take advice if the tone is " well OBVIOUSLY what you're doing is wrong, duh. Why aren't you doing it the right way like I am?"
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the people that are blunt and tell it like it is.. If it it helpful in some way then it is appreciated. I'm talking about the people that really offer no constructive criticism and are just blatantly rude.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Okay - but the thing is - it doesn't have to be either "snarky but correct" or "kind but nonsense." There is honestly no need to be rude. People get resentful when they're spoken to with a negative tone. How likely are people to take advice if the tone is " well OBVIOUSLY what you're doing is wrong, duh. Why aren't you doing it the right way like I am?"

Ok so you'd like to eliminate rudeness on this site. I guess after that we'll eliminate rudeness on the internet, and then life.

Not everyone is nice. It's just a fact. Do you love every person you work with? Aren't you all there for the same purpose? There are thousands and thousands of users here. Why do people think they should all like each other?

Take good advice from the people who clearly know what they're talking about. Get support from your friends here. It comes down to whether or not you're really here for your health or if you just want everyone to tell you nice things.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Whaaaaaa I am tired of the sarcasm... whaaaaaaa I am tired of people being mean. Lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya and *kitten* rainbows and glitters for everyone.

I think I love you.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

no one is forcing anyone to take anyone's advice, whether it is sugar-coated or not.

but if someone asks why they are gaining weight while eating less then 1000 calories a day and running 5 miles a day and not eating their exercise calories and then asking if they're building muscle, well, i'm going to be a ****ing ****.
  • Raebug123
    Raebug123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I just posted a blog a couple days ago about the same thing because I was so mad!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Stay out of the forums then.... its pretty simple.

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.
    You all have every right to think what you want, is it supposed to be for support? Yeah probably but you know what, there is about 100 of these posts made every damn day. Whaaaaaa I am tired of the sarcasm... whaaaaaaa I am tired of people being mean. Lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya and *kitten* rainbows and glitters for everyone.

I am not really hear to blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*... it really is simple, stay out of the forums if they bother you. Or if you see a thread that turned you off close it. Its the interwebs you are allowed to do that. Also 9 times out of 10 the sarcastic threads happen in the chit-chat fun and games section. If crap bothers you to the point that you need to make a post about it you should probably just stay out of the forums, and go to the groups where you can be with like minded people - groups are a wonderful thing.

You're so hardcore.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I so agree with you this is a place for support,and i know I need some and kind words.Everyone does,and encourgement.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

That's kinda rude. I think she's right - MFP should be a place for supporting one another and being uplifting, not for tearing other people down.
    You all have every right to think what you want, is it supposed to be for support? Yeah probably but you know what, there is about 100 of these posts made every damn day. Whaaaaaa I am tired of the sarcasm... whaaaaaaa I am tired of people being mean. Lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya and *kitten* rainbows and glitters for everyone.

I am not really hear to blow sunshine up anyone's *kitten*... it really is simple, stay out of the forums if they bother you. Or if you see a thread that turned you off close it. Its the interwebs you are allowed to do that. Also 9 times out of 10 the sarcastic threads happen in the chit-chat fun and games section. If crap bothers you to the point that you need to make a post about it you should probably just stay out of the forums, and go to the groups where you can be with like minded people - groups are a wonderful thing.
    Maybe, you should stay out of the forums then? They obviously are bothering you? Such as this one?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

Sorry I must have missed something. I still don't know if I should eat my exercise calories back, oh and I keep going over on my protein, will this get stored as fat? or is it ok?
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    It's because everyone has their own opinion, and no one likes it.
  • mandybobs65
    mandybobs65 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Manged to take the pal out of MFP, why you on here miss perfect?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options

Ok so you'd like to eliminate rudeness on this site. I guess after that we'll eliminate rudeness on the internet, and then life.

Not everyone is nice. It's just a fact. Do you love every person you work with? Aren't you all there for the same purpose? There are thousands and thousands of users here. Why do people think they should all like each other?

Take good advice from the people who clearly know what they're talking about. Get support from your friends here. It comes down to whether or not you're really here for your health or if you just want everyone to tell you nice things.

Of course not everyone is nice. Of course rudeness runs rampant on the internet and in real life. Not everyone has to be friends. But you can choose to not be friends without also choosing to attack the other person. I'm not looking for sugar-coated, I'm looking for tact.

I guess it's just a general online frustration then - I just don't like how people say things so nonchalantly on the internet that they know is inappropriate and they would probably not say to a person in real life. But, what am I gonna do about that :/ that's just sort of how it is.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You realise it's the opposite for a lot of people though, right? Some people cannot abide all the ridiculous false compliments, false information and whining... You get that though, yes? I mean, this isn't exclusively for a-holes and it's not exclusively for sugary-sweet-ejits. So why not just realise it's a little chunk of the real world which is a mixture of both and deal with it.

'What is the one most important thing our society needs?
    That would be harsher punishment for parole violators, Stan
    .......And world peace! '
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. All the bickering and hurt feelings and people being "offended" gets really old.

You can't really complain too much because it will never stop and it will never go away.

It is just an inherent part of being on the internet.

Diversity is what makes out planet great...and it also opens up a vast opportunity for "discussion". :bigsmile:
  • peachyxoxoxo
    Options
    Every single day I see multiple sarcastic posts mocking certain commonly held beliefs, ideologies, broscience claims, goals, etc. in regards to health and fitness. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but it's getting REALLY old. Like every time I open a thread and realize "...oh it's one of these..." I peace out.

Be honest people. There was also a time when you didn't know much about health or nutrition. Most people on MFP are here because they are trying to make a change. They are trying to learn more about how they can improve their health. No need to be snarky because someone brings up starvation mode, for example. We've all grown up hearing certain things about what's good and what's bad as far as nutrition goes so why be so mean when someone brings up one of those topics? You probably held those beliefs at one point in time yourself. I just think it would be nice if more people were willing to be supportive and tactful, instead of mocking. With the type of posts I mentioned above, I know you're just trying to have fun and all, but in my opinion, it's not kind or supportive at all. No one should ever be made to feel alienated by people who "know better" or know more, before they even get a chance to get started on their journey.

So, anyway, that's all I wanted to say. Thanks guys.

Sorry I must have missed something. I still don't know if I should eat my exercise calories back, oh and I keep going over on my protein, will this get stored as fat? or is it ok?

Thanks for being so open about the type of person you are. I appreciate your contribution.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

Maybe, you should stay out of the forums then? They obviously are bothering you? Such as this one?

See! Support and kindness everywhere! This isn't snarky at all. Now. All together, "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony!!" Oh wait, can we have a coke? Does it have to be Diet? If we have a Diet Coke does that not include the phenylneutronics or however that's spelled? Then they're not involved, that's not fair. Its clique-y. And besides the clean eaters will immediately gain back all their lost weight. Assuming that Diet Coke was on their dirty food list and not one of the magical foods made by man that was still on their list they'd eat. If we have real coke then some folks will get fat, and others might have it after 7 pm, and being that there are carbs in it, they'll immediately gain all their weight.

See how in an internet community this big, no matter how good the teacher, we just simply can't all sing in harmony? Why on earth would you think that someone can be full of glitter and rainbows with others who are jerks and call names when they don't get the answer they want and then turn around and complain about lack of support? This is the real world. There are individual people with their own free will on here.