Weights Bad??

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I lifted weights yesterday and today I was 5 lbs. up. I am trying to lose weight not gain it........Maybe weight training just isn't for me. Should I go back to just doing cardio? I gave it a shot but it doesn't seem to be working out.

I would suggest that if you gained 5 pounds over night there is another issue. When a person is trying to lose weight, they need to do light weight with a lot of reps to tone the muscles, not get themselves ready to power lift in the Olympics.

not sure if srs or trying to help troll?
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Why are you lifting, who are you trying to look like-Arnold Skjdijksfjijfjifjanegger?
    Weights aren't necessary, you should ONLY be doing cardio, and cardio alone! Lifting will make you fat and bulky.
    Now, get off the computer and go running!!!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    All wrong...you need to stick to 5 lb. weights and 100 reps!!

I know this is a joke, but as a woman who lifts her *kitten* off on the regular, I take issue with it. :mad:

This is what women who lift heavy REALLY look like...

tumblr_m1y2dwuESM1qak28ho1_400.jpg

Gross!!! She's just so bulky!! What chick wants to look like that?? Somebody should take that barbell from her before she hurts herself!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    So I lifted weights yesterday and today I was 5 lbs. up. I am trying to lose weight not gain it........Maybe weight training just isn't for me. Should I go back to just doing cardio? I gave it a shot but it doesn't seem to be working out.

I would suggest that if you gained 5 pounds over night there is another issue. When a person is trying to lose weight, they need to do light weight with a lot of reps to tone the muscles, not get themselves ready to power lift in the Olympics.

not sure if srs or trying to help troll?

LOL!! Isn't it sad when we can't tell the difference because the post looks so similar to what people usually post when they are giving advice!!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    You may be overdosing on gluten and legumes. Also, if you're ingesting ANY sugar you will be unable to lose weight. Best of luck!
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    These replies are HILARIOUS.

No you didn't gain 5 lbs of muscle in one day. Most people will see an immediate weight GAIN when starting a weight training program. It WILL come off after a few weeks. Be sure to drink lots of water. You will look better and feel better and when you have more muscle you will burn more calories at rest.

Weights = GOOD GOOD GOOD!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

No you didn't gain 5 lbs of muscle in one day. Most people will see an immediate weight GAIN when starting a weight training program. It WILL come off after a few weeks. Be sure to drink lots of water. You will look better and feel better and when you have more muscle you will burn more calories at rest.

I can't drink water....I am allergic.....Is that why the weight isn't coming off?
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

I can't drink water....I am allergic.....Is that why the weight isn't coming off?

It's not coming off because you need to drink green smoothies. Dr. Oz said so.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Could be...recommend using a dehydrated water substitute. Also - where are you gaining the weight? You could try and focus some spot reduction exercises on those areas.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

You need a juice cleanse to jumpstart your weight loss.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I just looked at your diary and you are eating more than your allotted 71.25 grams of carbs. That is obviously where you have gone wrong. Any decimal over that amount and your doohickeys are immobilized, putting you instantly into starvation mode, where the only escape is the chicken dance on a full moon wearing sunglasses.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I just looked at your diary and you are eating more than your allotted 71.25 grams of carbs. That is obviously where you have gone wrong. Any decimal over that amount and your doohickeys are immobilized, putting you instantly into starvation mode, where the only escape is the chicken dance on a full moon wearing sunglasses.

I want to see the Chicken dance, please, please, put this on YouTube! :laugh:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Jac...Have you looked in the mirror...weights are really going to be your downfall.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You may be overdosing on gluten and legumes. Also, if you're ingesting ANY sugar you will be unable to lose weight. Best of luck!

THIS! Seriously, cut out all gluten. I mean ALL! It's destroying your intestines... You don't have to be allergic to it, it is the devil. I know it's true because this expert says so: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/678251-6-things-that-will-stop-weight-loss-in-its-tracks?hl=6+rules
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That's very obviously a man.
  • mathiasg
    mathiasg Posts: 32
    Options
    If you do not speed walk at the mall, the lbs are simply not going to come off. It is not rocket science, man.

speed walking at the mall sounds really dangerous,
    can women do that too?
    or we should stick to zumba?

Speed walking at the mall IS dangerous, but it is the only way to lose weight. I typically would not recommend it to women since the mall is a public place. However, it is probably OK if you do it in herds of five or more and make sure you wear matching lycra burkhas.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    If you do not speed walk at the mall, the lbs are simply not going to come off. It is not rocket science, man.

speed walking at the mall sounds really dangerous,
    can women do that too?
    or we should stick to zumba?

Speed walking at the mall IS dangerous, but it is the only way to lose weight. I typically would not recommend it to women since the mall is a public place. However, it is probably OK if you do it in herds of five or more and make sure you wear matching lycra burkhas.

And pushing double jogging strollers.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

She's not even lifting that, she's just holding onto the bar while she does her kegels.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

She's not even lifting that, she's just holding onto the bar while she does her kegels.

Isn't that what every girl is supposed to do?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    You clearly put on 5 pounds of muscle (or more, if you burned fat!). Just don't overdo it, or you'll look like Ronnie Coleman in about two months.

Wrong, women do not bulk the way men do. Lift as heavy as you want! The 5 lbs are probably fluid you are holding. Drink water, give your muscles a day or so to recover, and I bet it goes away!