women 40+ would like to share progress

Options
Hello everyone I'm a 41 year old mother of 3, and I have lost 15 lbs. so far. How about you?289052.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Hi - am a 41 year old as well. No kids but I do have 5 spunky cats that my mom calls "Grandkitties". I am finding the older I get, the more aches and pains my body develops and the harder it is to loose weight. But since joining MFP and working to eat better and exercise, I have been feeling great. I almost don't even mind this cold weather. The fall colors here are beautiful and I have been noticing more wildlife - I have seen 3 bald eagles in the last 3 days :smile:

We have company for the weekend and are planning to take them to Mackinac for the day. I have to dig out my old pedometer to see how much I walk there. I am off to do some step aerobics and burn a few calories so that I can eat some not so healthy food on my outing :drinker:
  • amcmamcm
    Options
    Hi- I am a 45 and have 2 children (one in college and one in high school).
    Yes , I agree that loosing weight in my 40s is a much harder challenge than when I was younger.
    I have just joined this site and therefore I do not have progress to post. I have also joined the 10 pounds by Thanksgiving challenge, so I will weigh in on Thursday and post my progress then.
    My goal is to reach a healthy BMI and reduce my cholesterol.
  • Melissa_123
    Options
    I just turned 40 this month...yuk! I have tried everything else and nothing has worked. I started this on June 14th of this year and I have already had great results. I tell everyone about MFP. Not many are willing to try because they think it is a gimmick like everything else. It works. Use it like it is intended and you will see results. There are people who are older, younger ....have a lot to lose or just a little. It works for all of them.

I LOVE MFP!!!!
  • Melissa_123
    Options
    Was I supposed to tell..... I am also a mother of 3 ....My daughter will be 17 in December and I love that we now share clothes, I have a son that is 13 and a son that is 10.
  • booboogroom
    booboogroom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I never worried about my weight or even had to think about it until I had my hysterectomy in 06. So believe me when I tell you this is all new to me. My 22 year old daughter is about to graduate from UNT in Dec, My 20 year old son will graduate from ATI in July next year, and my baby is 19 about to graduate High School. I'm just glad to have the support.
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am 42 and a mother of 3 lovely young ladies aged 17, 19 and 20. I was hit by a car when I was 19 and have developped a few aches and pains over the years. Until last March, even walking was painful :frown: In March, I stopped a medication that was causing a lot of those pains and since then, I have been working on getting some control on my body. I have lost 6 pounds, 3 inches on my waist and 2 on my hips. My BMI is now in the high healthy zone. My primary goal is to be at 150 by November 25th. The day after, I'll be leaving for a 14 nights cruise in the Caribbean. I'll do a lot of walking and a lot of stairs on the ship and on the islands, but also a lot of indulging when I'll be on vacation.

I used to be a gymnast and a coach in my teens. If you need some advice with your workout, maybe I can help you out.
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Booboo, you are worrying me. I am seeing my GYN these days and I might need an hysterectomy too. I have been working hard to lose weight, I don't want it to come back :noway:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I live in a male dominate house including the dog and cat. They are supportive but at the same time they don't really get it either. So this is a great forum for me to meet friends and share progress. I have been at this for five weeks and have lost my first 10 pounds. I have many more pounds to go, and I would like to keep averaging 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I am rather excited. We spent 6 hours in Mackinac today. 5 hours of shopping and 1 hour eating lunch. Yes, I was good drinking 2 glasses of water and actually eating a grilled chicken salad with cheese and dressing on the side :happy: I just checked on-line and 5 hours of shopping (we didn't sit for any rests) actually burns about 1200 calories at my weight. Who knew shopping could be exercise - I guess it beats sitting home on the couch. My legs were tired from all the standing - my pedometer logged 2 miles of walking. Unfortunately, it didn't do as much for my pocket book. Most of the stores in this tourist town are closing for the season tomorrow so there were some great sales :love: There is no way I will all eat of these calories combined with my 600 from working out this morning. I guess this will be a zig zag week of calorie burning for me.
  • booboogroom
    Options
    Missou just dont stop working on it. I weighed 145 for 17 years. So I didn't believe people when they told me I would gain weight. Two months ago I bought a scale, I weighed 190. So please don't stop or give in, you can keep it off.
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • booboogroom
    Options
    We ladies have to stick together. (Girl) LADY POWER!! We can do it.
  • motocaryschell
    Options
    I may not be very consistent with logging on to this post, but I will try. first, I hate the fact that I now qualify for the 40 and over category. Second, I tried this back in February, but didn't stick with it, now I am starting over. I been at it for one week logging my food and exercise, so hopefully I will get past the five week mark and it will be habit. So far I've eaten well but with no drastic changes, just cut out sweets and watched my calories. I've exercised focusing mostly on cardio but I love to lift weights. Here's the kicker, I've gained 3 pounds. Wow. If my pants didn't feel more comfortable and loose to an extent, I would be throwing a tantrum. so anyway, now I have 31 pounds to lose if that's realistic. Wish me luck...
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Hi Motocaryschell, your 3 pounds gain is muscle mass which is heavier than fat mass. Congradulations!!! Don't give up, I kept the same weight for over 2 months in the beginning, even if I was doing a lot of exercises. Don't give up and remember that your clothes have a lot to say to you :wink:
  • motocaryschell
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. What you said is of course the truth, but the numbers can lie in certain ways if you know what I mean when you are down on yourself and you need an upper. Don't get me wrong, I live on positive thinking, I have to, but some days it can be hard. And then you get kicked just a little when you're down. I will not quit and I do look forward to seeing the outlines of my muscles on my legs, instead of dimples that aren't so cute.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Hi motocaryschell - your weight gain could also be water weight from a change in exercise. Muscles tend to hold water when stressed in a new way. You may want to consider taking measurements and logging them on the check-in page. This could be a way for you to some positive changes that don't include the scale. Keep up the good work.

I know how you feel when you cant believe your 40. I swear a 20 year old looks in the mirror but somehow the return image is some cranky older woman :laugh:

My body needed a rest from all the exercise and I really needed to take a day and catch up paying the bills :grumble: and organizing my work papers... Sometimes having your own business based out of your home doesn't seem worth the effort. My business manager called and wants me start organizing tax papers - it's only October but I guess the end of the year is coming soon :cry: At least I stayed within 100 calories of my daily intake goal.

Missou - I am jealous that your going on 2 cruises. Someday I will get on one. Congratulations on being married almost 20 years. That is something to be proud of in this day and age :flowerforyou:

booboogroom - Congrats on 16 lbs in 2 months :drinker: I agree that we need to stick together with Lady Power.
  • feistygirl09
    Options
    Hi

I am almost 45 & have lost 8lbs in less than three weeks. I want to be under 200 by my birthday at the end of November.

I have been married 25 years & I have two sons 23 & 19. My 23 yr old is married & both are in college.

Losing weight is definately harder as I've gotten older. I so loved the article about metabolism -- what an eye opener. I love the support on this site. I love how easy it is to keep track of my menus & exercise. It's working!!!

I am so grateful for my friend who told me about MFP!
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Looking for snacks around 100 calories that are fresh or homemade. Do any of you have a favorite to share? I try to avoid the pre-packed snacks to avoid the preservatives. I'm not a purest but I am trying to chose more wisely than what I might have in the past. :huh: Oh how I love food...

Pinbotchick: love that you burned so many calories shopping. whoopy:laugh:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Welcome fiestygirl :flowerforyou:

snowflakes - I dont normally have much time to cook so I snack on nuts, fruits, veges and those package snacks. I am thinking of investing in a food dehydrator to make my own dried fruit. Have you tried this? I make fresh juice every morning but it has been having closer to 250 calories - I figure it counts as fruit and/or veges for breakfast. Let me know what you come up with. If I can cook/make on the weekend - would take it for snacks during the week.
  • olgawill
    Options
    Hi , I am 40 years old and I am trying very hard to stay on track this time. I would like to lose 50 pounds before next summer. I was so uncomfortable this summer with my weight. I hope this site will help me track my food.
  • mcarvell
    Options
    Hey there ladies!!
    I am 41 and the mother of 5 and am really giving this fitness plan a true shot! I have only been on it for 8 days, but I can certainly say I am feeling it already. It is so great to see others trying this as well that are in that 40something bracket! I look forward to sharing and hearing progress reports as well as sharing great tips----let's press on!!
    In Him,
    Missie