women 40+ would like to share progress

Options

Replies

• itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

My 1/2 marathon will be on April 25th 2010! And it's Earth Day that day! I'm very spiritual and it will be a perfect day! I took a drive there today (2 hrs) from my house...checked the course and it looks challenging in some areas! Up Up Up hills and then down down and flat flat!! hahahaha I get dizzy just thinking about it! This will be my first run/race. I do 5K all the time here at home but never with a group of people. My husband completed a 1/2 back in October and I promised him that I will run the next one. There's a bed and breakfast by the race that I figured we can stay the night before. Our girls will meet us at the end of the race with some friends! I'm excited about it!

makeitallsue, I did drag that foot this morning! :laugh: I did my strength training and then I ran 2 miles! Wheather that left foot wanted to or not! :drinker:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Wow it is quite on here today. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I want to eat more on the weekends when we are home together but I have carefully logged everything I ate and so far so good. There is no time for set backs, only time to move forward.

You runners make my side hurt just thinking about.:noway: Maybe I have to many memories as a kid having to run in P.E. and feeling so sick. It is always easier to blame it on something else, or better yet someone else.:bigsmile: :laugh:

Have a great day all!
  • itsbella
    Options
    Do you ladies eat your exercised calories?
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I generally eat 1/2 of my exercise calories. I have my goal set low for 1 pound a week. I figure by only eating 1/2, I can make-up for any underestimations on calorie amount or overestimation' on MFP exercise log (I don't use a heart rate monitor)... If I my estimates for exercise and calories are correct then I am just eating less but still over the 1200 minimum recommended amount - this could be why I am losing closer to 2 pounds a week on average.
  • itsbella
    Options
    pinbotchick - thank you, that's what I started doing this week. I was exercising like a freak and not eating any exercised calories and I still didn't see a move on the scale. So this week I'm starting to eat 1/2 of the exercised calories.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hey Gals, Hope all is well !!!!! It has been a busy day! I put my new HRM to the test, I was pleased with the findings and surprised that a core workout that leaves me dripping with sweat, really didn't keep my heart rate in "the zone" for very long.:noway: :ohwell: Out of an hour workout, my heart rate was only in the fat- burning zone for 15 minutes, so I did a few miles on the elliptical to even things out....:bigsmile: , felt really strong today. They are calling for rain/snow /cold all week here, not sure when I'll get my run in...but I will!

Bella, I was doing the same thing, Pinbotchick suggested to me to eat half of my exercise calories and I started that three weeks ago and the scale did finally start moving down...I'm hoping with the combo of knowing my heart rate and eating a little more, I can see some results!:smile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! If I do not eat my excercise calories or at least most of them my weight loss comes to a screeching halt!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Wow it is quite on here today. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I want to eat more on the weekends when we are home together but I have carefully logged everything I ate and so far so good. There is no time for set backs, only time to move forward.

Snowflakes, I am the same way....I am hungry all weekend long, but through the week, I'll have to remind myself to eat....I blame it on the kids:laugh: , they are constantly asking "what's to snack on":sad: and my son...he's always wanting pizza, so we've been making are own crust out of whole wheat and adding lots of veggies:love:
    I agree no time for setbacks !:happy:
    Have a great evening!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hey, just curious...how did everyone come up with their names??

My name is really Donna but there were so many "Donna" combinations already on here that I went with the nickname for my namesake. LHF are just my middle, maiden, and last name initials. It is kind of fun being DD!

Makeitallsue...you are really Debra?

Share if you want!
  • itsbella
    Options
    Thank you Ladies! I am soooo looking forward to my new improved me!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Hey, just curious...how did everyone come up with their names??

My real name is Victoria. My husband collects video games and pinball machines. Pinbot was his first pinball machine and he started calling me his pinbot chick. I tease him that he will be moving me out to make more room for games :laugh: He has at least 16 pinball machines and over 50 video games - unfortunately, they are not all in working order :grumble:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I put my new HRM to the test

Okay makeitallsue - I need help. My monitor came in the mail yesterday. I got things set except for walking/jogging speed. I tried to use it this morning and it didn't seem to work. I could not find where it was monitoring the heart rate and the calories burned area stayed at 0. I got the warm-up timer to activate and it was timing the workout. When the directions say to wet the electrodes - where are they? I put several drops of water on the plastic piece that goes my chest... I feel like such an idiot since I couldn't get it to work. Any tips or should I break down and post my questions to the boards?
  • Laura67
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to MFP. Have a long way to go so need all the help and advice I can get. I lost a lot of weight before with exercise and watching what I eat, have never kept track like this (of course that was about 8 years ago and now being over 40 I know it will be much harder. I gained the weight back after hurting my knee jogging and after two knee surgeries.

I am 42 with two boys 21 and 14. Can someone explain to me the reason to eat the extra calories from exercise? I am reading your posts that you lose weight if you eat at least half of them. How does this work? My plan was to ignore those added calories.

Thanks,
    Laura
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have a lovely 6 year old daughter.. I lost 17 pounds in the first 6 months of this year, but have gained a few back since then. I'm trying to maintain through christmas, then ramp up again at the first of the year.

I did start jogging in the spring and now run 5 miles a couple of times a week. I think that's my biggest accomplishment (in addition to the weight loss) this year.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Welcome Laura67 :flowerforyou:

SHboss seems to be guru on advice. I liked this post of his from October. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/69708-calorie-deficit-for-dummies-a-little-long?hl=calorie+deficit+for+dummies&page=1#posts-904535 You can also read his posts to Newbies on the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss Board (He used to be Banks1850)

Basically - MFP gives you an initial calorie intake based on your weight loss goal and daily activity level NOT including exercise. So if you don't exercise, this number is how many calories you should eat. The minimum it recommends is 1200 calories for everyone - our bodies just need this much to keep going. When you exercise, you burn more calories (body fuel) so you need to take in more calories to keep your body functioning and so your body doesn't feel like you are starving it. Most people stress this is life style change and not a diet - you lose weight on a diet but tend to gain the weight back when you stop dieting. I am hoping to make this a permanent change by still eating all foods but not as often and watching portion sizes. I have also added more fruits and veges to my diet. I have actually found I lose more weight in weeks that I exercise less probably because I am closer to my goal intake. But, I love the way exercise has given me more energy and improved my moods. So I will keep it up as much as I can. I figure slow and steady wins the race and will help me to keep the weight off.

Good luck and we look forward to getting to know you.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Welcome to you too bmacneil :flowerforyou:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    makeitallsue: you have me really curious about the heart rate monitor not staying in the zone you expected. I am going to have to try one. (Hey while I was writing this post my husband had one in his closet that he hasn't used for a long time and brought it to me. I will see if I can figure out how to use is tomorrow)

pinbotchick: When you figure yours out I am interested to know how you think it compares to what you think you burn.

itsbella: I eat some of my exercise calories. I have A LOT to lose so I try not to eat all of them yet. So far is seems to be working for me.

Laura67 and bmacneil: WELCOME

deedee: snowflakes is a user name I have had for several years, and it is usually available. I love living where there are all four seasons and I love to ski and there is nothing like fresh snow followed by a sunny day, this is my bliss. I love to watch it snow on days when the flakes are size of feathers. Snowflakes are unique, each one different and together they make can create such beauty. I guess it just comes down to a little fetish of mine.
  • Laura67
    Options
    Thanks pinbotchick. That was very helpfull. I read both articles he wrote. Now I understand and it makes since.
    Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to this knowing there is a lot of support here!!
    Have a good night.
    Laura
  • Laura67
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Snowflakes. I am happy to be here!!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    I put my new HRM to the test

Okay makeitallsue - I need help. My monitor came in the mail yesterday. I got things set except for walking/jogging speed. I tried to use it this morning and it didn't seem to work. I could not find where it was monitoring the heart rate and the calories burned area stayed at 0. I got the warm-up timer to activate and it was timing the workout. When the directions say to wet the electrodes - where are they? I put several drops of water on the plastic piece that goes my chest... I feel like such an idiot since I couldn't get it to work. Any tips or should I break down and post my questions to the boards?
    PinBotchick....Oh my gosh. so relieved that you had trouble too....sorry that sounded sort -of snotty, didn't mean it that way..:blushing: :bigsmile: ...I had trouble too, the first time I did it, I also didn't get the calories to compute. ( I thought I had maybe not pushed it hard enough to get it to start and since it was new I didn't know to check thru the screens) Not sure which type you bought, I went to woot.com on the day the posts were talking about it and purchased a pro line. I found that the buttons were not easy to push ..meaning I had to really push them hard to get them to start working. Yesterday I used the "chrono" setting, which is a stop watch type and while it is running you can toggle thru the screens by pushing the set button....This HRM also has the smart training setting, which once you start it running you have to use the st- button on the left of the watch to toggle thru the screens....there is a learning curve, that's for sure...I have re-read that little book 6 times, no kidding....I think I have it figured out and I also went out and calibrated it for walk/run and that setting seems pretty close, I was just off by a few tenths compared to the elliptical. I thought it might be a good idea to take it to the track and re-do. I am still not convinced the calorie burn is right on though...because yeterday the elliptical said 460 calories burned and the HRM said only 168:grumble: :grumble: , but I am wondering if when I set it up as to the type of fitness I do....I choose athlete (cus I work out everyday) but hubby thought that I should of put hobby, since an athlete would burn fewer calories....(hope that makes sense...) I have to mend a fence out doors today and then I plan on re-setting and trying it out again and I'll let you know what I find out...hope you have good luck with yours....now for the actual HR, I think it did really well, both the elliptical and the watch were giving the same rate as I was working out, so I was happy about that! Hope this helps...Good luck!