women 40+ would like to share progress

Options

Replies

• makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

Thanks, Make! You can do it, too! I'm living proof! I have converted two (2) women into weighing in once a month,

Blessings!

Eva

Thanks for the advise, would probably be a smarter thing for me to do as well...I need to hide the scale, because it calls me everytime I walk by....then I get easily frustrated!:angry: I do believe it hates me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here this week.
    Karen

Welcome Karen and good luck!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    hello women over 40!!!!! I will be 42 in a few days, and i have lost 33lbs!!!! I am having a big problem right now. I need to lose my belly fat.

Welcome Ladyhutch....I have the same problem, but mine is still a fat layer and I'm hoping the defined abs are hiding underneath:laugh: , I have decied to really pick up on the cardio (last 2 plus weeks) I have been doing more resistance type training with only 180 minutes per week of cardio, I'm jumping the cardio to 300 minutes per week and see if that helps, and I have also started eating a portion of my exercise calories. I am going to continue like this for the rest of the year and see where that gets me , the scale has been stuck, but I'm not giving up!:wink:
    Good luck to you! Debra
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    I've been tracking my food for about a week and my numbers have been amazingly good (well it's only been a week...give me time : ) BUT, my protein is always over. This really surprised me because I don't eat a lot of meat. Anyone else find this? or any other surprises in logging your food?
    Karen

I have found this too, but I am eating a lot of yogurt and protien shakes, my big surprise is that my carbs are always lower....I love carbs, always thought that could of been my problem:ohwell:
    Good Luck!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Hello Ladies, hope you are all well, I've been busy, but staying on task!:wink:

Dominique, I took your advise and measured myself and I have to thank you for that, I wasn't going to measure until I was finished with this 12 week program that I am doing. I just finished week 9.:happy:
    I'm glad to report that even with only 6 pounds of weight loss in the 9 week period I have lost inches
    I have lost
    1" chest (and 1 cup size smaller)
    3 1/2 " belly
    1 1/2 " hips
    so I am getting smaller and then I dug out a pair of skinny jeans that I put away because I was always uncomfortable:explode: , well even those fit much better in my thighs and I wore them to my sons BB game and I wasn't constantly pulling up on them beacause I was spilling out of them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (if you know what I mean!):wink: so I am on the right track, just a little impatient:embarassed:
    Hope everyone is doing well!!
    Off to exercise and then it's grocery day for me!
    Good luck everyone!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    I've been tracking my food for about a week and my numbers have been amazingly good (well it's only been a week...give me time : ) BUT, my protein is always over. This really surprised me because I don't eat a lot of meat. Anyone else find this? or any other surprises in logging your food?
    Karen

I too was surprised about how much over I was on protein. From reading other posts, I have decided that this is okay for me. I have been working out a lot and bodies need extra protein to heal and grow muscle.

I added salt and cholesterol to my daily tracking numbers. The number that really surprised me was salt. I lead a busy life a always ate processed foods or frozed pre-prepared foods or fast food :blushing: I was taking in 3500 plus in salt. The only way I have been able to bring that number down is to cook. So I am getting more creative and preparing slow cooker meals the night before (late evening when I have more time). Or using my oven timer to have baked potatoes ready when I get home. I bought a rice cooker with a warmer function - I can cook 4 cups early in the week. Then just put 1 cup in to warm up with some extra water in about 30 min. I have been adding garlic, parsley, and other spice to make more flavorful rice with out the salt of boxed rice.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    so I am getting smaller and then I dug out a pair of skinny jeans that I put away because I was always uncomfortable:explode: , well even those fit much better in my thighs and I wore them to my sons BB game and I wasn't constantly pulling up on them beacause I was spilling out of them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (if you know what I mean!):wink: so I am on the right track, just a little impatient:embarassed:

Congrats on getting smaller :flowerforyou:

We all get impatient. It is hard to remember how long it took us to put the weight on. I figured out I gained 5 pounds a year for the last 12 years and in the last 22 years I have gained 99. In 7 weeks, 16 have come off :bigsmile: It is going to be a long journey to get this weight off.
  • anderkaj
    Options
    Sue and Chick,
    Thanks for the welcomes.:smile: I'm not too worries about the protein...just surprised . Like you said, Sue, I thought my carbs would be the tough number. WOW you are doing great on your exercise. I'm just doing cardio 20 minutes 4 times a week and strength 3 times.
    Karen
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All!

This look s like a great thread! I am 47 ( on the "mature" end of this group - it appears.:tongue: ) We have 5 kids ages 25- 15. I had lots of motivation to lose since May for the weddings of our oldest daughters. Now having passed that hurdle, I am going to need the everyday kind of motivation to keep on keeping on! Looks like this might be the right place for that!

My major struggle now is to return to the exercise that got me started. My diet seems to be pretty steady but I need a kick in the hiney to organize the schedule to include regular excercise! Daughter #2's wedding was on the 6th of Nov. so i have allowed myself a week of relaxation, recovery and reorganization but now to get back to the gym 2 x's a week, the eliptical 2 x's and one day with a friend)

Sounds like all of you are doing well. It will be fun to get to know you! I am usually a once to twice a week logger so hopefully I will be keeping up with everyone!

Have a great day all!:flowerforyou:

HoosierM
  • LittleEva44
    Options

Thanks, Make! You can do it, too! I'm living proof! I have converted two (2) women into weighing in once a month,

Blessings!

Eva

Thanks for the advise, would probably be a smarter thing for me to do as well...I need to hide the scale, because it calls me everytime I walk by....then I get easily frustrated!:angry: I do believe it hates me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You don't have to hide the scale :wink: Mine is right there in the bathroom not really STARRING at me, but collecting DUST :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I tell ya girl, to let the clothes do the taking to you! Another example is your ring(s). My wedding band feels loose on my finger. My riding boots are not tight around my calves and don't mark my calves, anymore!! BEAT the scale by not calling to it when it calls your name....it's called TEMPTATION

Blessings! :flowerforyou:

Eva
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Yes, the riding boots. I can feel my feet now when I take them off! lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • booboogroom
    booboogroom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies sorry I've had strep throat:sick: :sick: . But I think I'm back:smile: . Everybody is doing so great. I would just love to give everyone their props:heart::heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :heart: , for doing such a great job. And I would love to welcome all our newcomers :flowerforyou:. I finally hit 169 :happy: :happy: yea me.
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    booboogroom: sorry to hear that you have been sick.:flowerforyou: I have never had strep, I always test negative. But a couple of times I have had such a bad sore throat I was sure I would DIE.:tongue: Okay so maybe I wasn't close to dieing but it is no fun. Glad your feeling better. Good job, your ticker show 20 pounds! YAY!!! I am hoping to make it to my 15 pound mark this week. Every 5 pounds is a great achievement.
  • amcmamcm
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers :flowerforyou:

I did not do well yesterday. I did not count calories, but I know I was way off. However today I am back on track.

Following up on the protein tread, I am surprised that I am consuming as many proteins as I am, since I rarely eat meat. However milk and yogurt usually provide me with enough protein for the day and when I have meat or legumes I go over.

I did not realize that skim milk has 12g of sugar. I like to drink milk and eat yogurt, and 2 glasses of milk make me reach my daily goal for sugar, so I am very often over. Does this happen to any of you?
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and welcome to the newcomers!!

Amcmamcm, I am in shock!!! Who would have thought that milk had so much sugar!!! I too love milk, I take it in my morning smoothies. So I guess that with all the fruits, that makes a lot of sugar... At least, it is good sugar!!

Snowflakes, good luck on reaching your 15 pounds mark!!

Booboo, congradulations on your 169 and I hope you feel 100% quickly!!

Eva, listen to Tabbydog, your clothes speak louder than your scale!! Even if the scale does not want to move, if your clothes are loser, you are accomplishing a lot!!!

Yesterday was a bad day for me. I did not do my exercises and I did not eat a lot. This morning, I was not in top shape but I did go on the Gazelle for 45 minutes and on the treadmill for 10 minutes. One good thing came out of all this though, this morning, the scale was at 158.2!!

I am at 8/17 instead of 9/17. What I intend to do to catch up for that lost day is train 3 times in 2 days. I'll probably do my training tomorrow morning, tomorrow evening and Thursday morning. I hope my body agrees with this plan :wink: :laugh: On top of all this training, I want to walk for 1.5 hour Thursday afternoon. If I can do all of this, my lost day will not be lost anymore :happy: :laugh: :laugh:

I had a goal of reaching 155 before I leave for my vacations on the 26th. That is in 9 days... I don't think I will be able to reach it :frown: 3.2 pounds in 9 days is doable, but I don't expect to do it :cry:

Ok, I am finished with the complaining... I am very happy about everything I have acheived since last March!!! Back then, even walking was difficult!! Now, I can walk on the treadmill at 3.2 m/h and I can stay on the Gazelle for 45 minutes!!! That is a major acheivement!!!

Have a good night ladies and speak to you tomorrow :flowerforyou:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Missou - sometimes your body needs a day of rest. I find that I actually lose more weight when I take a day off of exercising. So if you skip one day you will be fine. Don't overdo it trying to make up the lost day. We want you to stay healthy, pain-free and have a great trip.

Amcmamcm - I put milk in the category with fruit and ignore the sugar content -since it is purer, natural sugar. I only count the junk sugars. If you have diabetes, then its another story. The first week I pulled my hair out trying to make all of the categories perfect. I finally decided to track calories, carb, fat, salt, protein, and cholesterol.

snowflakes - good luck getting to that 15 mark.

booboo - sorry to hear your sick. Strep throat is tough. Do the best you can with eating and exercise. Rest and drink lots of fluids. Hope you are feeling 100% soon.

eva and tabby dog - glad your clothes (and boots) are fitting better. That really is the better way to measure success.

Today is a full day of work, grocery shopping for company this weekend and bookclub tonight. I need to watch myself and not over eat the snacks at bookclub. This is my mini-weekly challenge - to eat better and stay within my calorie limit even when I am around others. 4 of 7 days this week, I will be around others and temptations :noway:
  • cahaden
    Options
    Hello all my name is Christine I live in Ft Worth TX. I am 48 and have been overweight for several years now. I finally made my mind up to hire a trainer. I started with her about 2 weeks ago and it has been tough to stick with the program for me. I have 2 kids ages 29 son and 26 daughter. I am married to my highschool sweetheart who offers me alot of support as he has the same problem as I do!
    I know this will be a long old road to loose about 50 pounds but I am ready to try!
    I spend most of my days at the hospital with my daughter and new grandbaby (Tara) . She was born 10/1/09 and weighed 15oz and 10 inches long at birth. She now is about 2lbs and is 11 3/4 inches long! Please keep us in your prayers!

22152.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!!

Pinbotchick, you might be right about the day off... This morning, I am at 157.4!!! I will wait till next week to do my catching up thought. Hubby has a cold and he really doesn't feel good in the evening so he hasn't worked on my knee for several days now. There is some pain and I don't want it to get worse.

If I keep on losing the way I am, who knows, I might get the 155 by the 26th after all :happy: :happy:

Take care everyone!!!
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Hello Christine, welcome to our group. Tara seems to be a fighter. I am sending her all the positive energy I can!!!
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    cahaden welcome! You will get great support from this group. I am crazy for newborns, I have never been around one that small. How many weeks early did you daughter deliver? Your grand-baby is a little fighter. It is phenomenal what the medical world can do to help such little ones. Best wishes as you work towards your goal weight. Slow and steady and you will see results. You can do this.:flowerforyou: