women 40+ would like to share progress

Options

Replies

• makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot, on my HR, there are little pads on the chest strap, they are flexable and on the chest strap it self...there is harder center part and then off to both sides there are flexible pad like things....I just used my fingers (you could use a dampened wash cloth) and get it a little wet on both sides right before I put it on....my battery came a little low, I am planning on picking up new ones...but it did get my pulse after a few seconds and it was pretty regular as I started warming up...
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Hey, just curious...how did everyone come up with their names??

My name is really Donna but there were so many "Donna" combinations already on here that I went with the nickname for my namesake. LHF are just my middle, maiden, and last name initials. It is kind of fun being DD!

Makeitallsue...you are really Debra?

Share if you want!
    You know I was wondering that myself yesterday...:laugh: :laugh: My middle name is Sue,my first is Debra, I have always been a stay at home mom and my Hubby calls me "susie", I do lots of sewing, I have made prom dresses, bridal, dog clothes, horse clothes, equestrian wear, quilts,all of my kids clothes....when I started a small business I was stumped on what to call it...hubby came up with makeitallsue, and it kinda stuck.....
    I am partial to DD too:bigsmile:
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    makeitallsue: you have me really curious about the heart rate monitor not staying in the zone you expected. I am going to have to try one. (Hey while I was writing this post my husband had one in his closet that he hasn't used for a long time and brought it to me. I will see if I can figure out how to use is tomorrow)

deedee: snowflakes is a user name I have had for several years, and it is usually available. I love living where there are all four seasons and I love to ski and there is nothing like fresh snow followed by a sunny day, this is my bliss. I love to watch it snow on days when the flakes are size of feathers. Snowflakes are unique, each one different and together they make can create such beauty. I guess it just comes down to a little fetish of mine.
    Snowflakes....love your username too, by the way....I also love to watch the freshly dropping snow...it's the freezing rain stuff I'm scared to death of! I was really surprised too by not being in the zone.....I mean this is a tough core work-out, I'm not jumping around the whole time, but there are lots of push-ups and plank holds and it was an hour long...I was surprised, but maybe this will help, so I'll know for sure when I'm getting to the fat:bigsmile: :bigsmile: , bye bye fat...momma has some help!!!:bigsmile:
  • makeitallsue
    Options

My real name is Victoria. My husband collects video games and pinball machines. Pinbot was his first pinball machine and he started calling me his pinbot chick. I tease him that he will be moving me out to make more room for games :laugh: He has at least 16 pinball machines and over 50 video games - unfortunately, they are not all in working order :grumble:

Pinbotchick...Love it!, Those hubbies are creative! Victoria, that's a really pretty name too, so regal!:flowerforyou:
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    I'm 46 and have a lovely 6 year old daughter.. I lost 17 pounds in the first 6 months of this year, but have gained a few back since then. I'm trying to maintain through christmas, then ramp up again at the first of the year.

I did start jogging in the spring and now run 5 miles a couple of times a week. I think that's my biggest accomplishment (in addition to the weight loss) this year.

:flowerforyou:
    Welcome bmacneil....great job on the jogging, I have never ran 5 miles at one time, I usually run a 5k and stop, that is a goal of mine....I will try it next time, thanks for thought!:smile:
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to MFP. Have a long way to go so need all the help and advice I can get. I lost a lot of weight before with exercise and watching what I eat, have never kept track like this (of course that was about 8 years ago and now being over 40 I know it will be much harder. I gained the weight back after hurting my knee jogging and after two knee surgeries

Thanks,
    Laura
    Laura67 Welcome:flowerforyou: , the keeping track of my calories was a huge eye opener for me...I've lost and gained a lot in my life too, this time I'm making it happen and never going back...for me it has been harder and there must be some truth to it being harder over 40.... being that I am of 43 and it is not melting off like before:mad: , but I'm just going to try harder and keep with it! I went for a good 5 months without losing a pound:cry: , but I feel so much better when I exercise and my clothes look and feel better, so I'm doing something right! Good Luck with your goals!
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Well, I am a chatty- kathy today:laugh: I only meant to log my calories, take a peek at the group and get outdoors and 45 minutes just flew past!:laugh: :laugh: , very motivational....it's great getting to know everyone! I have a list today...mending a fence for the pony...taking the quilts to the laundry matt, picking up some groceries (incase we get that freezing rain/snow mix they are calling for today) then home and kick-boxing is on the list for me today, finishing with my son's basketball game this evening...Biggest loser finale tonight, I love the transformations! Have a great day everyone!:wink:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    makeitallsue - thanks for the info on the HRM. I think it may be the battery on the chest strap. It actually logged 1 calorie at the start of my workout today and then stopped working. The little heart isn't even there anymore. I am going to the store tonight so I will pick a new battery up. I hope it helps. I just feel like a techno failure that I couldn't get it to work - I never gave a thought to battery. I bought the same model as you from WOOT. I am glad to know you had trouble too. Well lunch is about over and I have to get moving. By the way, my new shoes now have 4 miles on them :bigsmile:
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Laura67 and bmacneil, welcome!
  • itsbella
    Options
    ran 2 miles today towards greatness! I'm excited about the marathon in April! :happy:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

My real name is Victoria. My husband collects video games and pinball machines. Pinbot was his first pinball machine and he started calling me his pinbot chick. I tease him that he will be moving me out to make more room for games :laugh: He has at least 16 pinball machines and over 50 video games - unfortunately, they are not all in working order :grumble:

Love this!!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options

deedee: snowflakes is a user name I have had for several years, and it is usually available. I love living where there are all four seasons and I love to ski and there is nothing like fresh snow followed by a sunny day, this is my bliss. I love to watch it snow on days when the flakes are size of feathers. Snowflakes are unique, each one different and together they make can create such beauty. I guess it just comes down to a little fetish of mine.
    Snowflakes....love your username too, by the way....I also love to watch the freshly dropping snow...it's the freezing rain stuff I'm scared to death of! I was really surprised too by not being in the zone.....I mean this is a tough core work-out, I'm not jumping around the whole time, but there are lots of push-ups and plank holds and it was an hour long...I was surprised, but maybe this will help, so I'll know for sure when I'm getting to the fat:bigsmile: :bigsmile: , bye bye fat...momma has some help!!!:bigsmile:

Oh, I love snowflakes...especially when the hit the window one at a time and you can see the perfection in each one! Great name!!!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Not sure which HRM you are both using. (YOu probably posted it and I didn't see it) but I know that my HRM needs fresh batteries quite often! I have a reebok one and it was inexpensive. I am thinking about a Polar one as the quality just seems a bit better. I love using it for the irregular type excercising....like sledding with the kids or shoveling snow.:laugh:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Today was my weekly weigh in and I lost another pound. That is close to miraculous for me to lose two pounds in two weeks. Wouldn't it be nice if it kept going? Well that isn't my pattern but I will take what I can get any time I can get it!!! :laugh: Yay me!!:flowerforyou:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Today was my weekly weigh in and I lost another pound.

Great for you. :flowerforyou:

It has been neat to see the stories on everyone's names. Thanks for suggesting it DeeDee... I feel like MFP is my alter ego and one of these days I am going to wake up and realize that I didn't loose this weight.

Pro-form is the HRM that we bought from Woot. I have the new battery and will give it a try later today.
  • makeitallsue
    Options
    Good Morning Gals....

DD...woo, hoo happy dance on your pound loss:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: You Go Girl!!

Pinbotchick, hope your HRM works like a charm for you with the new batteries!

I had a day yesterday, that nothing worked right, all of my plans fell through and I forgot to pick up my new batteries when I was in town....mine is showing 1/2 exhausted and I'm planning on putting it to work today because yesterday...try as I might I never got any exercise in:sad: :sad: , everything just interupted me...ALL DAY LONG!:angry:

:ohwell: :ohwell: Today is a new day, I'm hoping to make up for it, never finished logging may calories yesterday either, but I think I did pretty well, I took protein bars with me on my trip to town.

DD, I also looked into the polar, but the one I was looking into had reviews that said you had to send the HRM back to polar to replace the battery and the cost was $85...that sent me the other way:laugh: , I also really like the garmin forerunner 305, but it is for running only (reviews said it wasn't very good for in your living room exercise dvd type of exercise)...but the garmin has a gps and you can download to the computer your stats and route, sounded like a fun tech tool. I might look into that one again next year as I get more serious with my runs.

I just found out there is a 5k here in Indiana on the 18th, called dash in the snow. I have to register by this Friday if I want to join in on the fun, sounds like it is at night and they are running through a Christmas light show:love: , wow, that does sound like fun, I'm just such a wimp with the cold...not sure how I would survive running in it, and you never know about Indiana weather, it could be -20*, or 50* that day :laugh: :laugh:
    Hope everyone's day is great. I am doing chores and then getting right on my exercise, so it doesn't slip through my hands again! I'll check in later tonight...
  • paulinelaw69
    Options
    I recently turned 40 and am looking to lose 40 lbs. I am having a hard time getting motivated and staying focused. Would love to find someone in my town to work out with or even online to help me stay focused and to share my progress with.
  • itsbella
    Options
    Pauline, you've come to the right place! Keep posting, MFP is by far the most wonderful online community I have been part of!

makeitsue, the run at night sound AWESOME!! Do it! Do it! I want to know about it! The MFP runners thread have great advice about running in the cold. It has been the topic for at least 3 days! Check us out! I say us because after Chrissy told me about it, I've been part of it and I am truly greatful for alllll of them!
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Welcome paulinelaw :flowerforyou: I think you will enjoy the friends you make on MFP. It is very inspiring to others succeed. I wish the best of luck meeting your goals.

makeitallsue - Go for it. Try the 5K. It sounds wonderful to run through the lights. If its 20 below - you can back out. I got the heart rate monitor to work wonderfully with the new battery. Boy does it count alot less than the MFP estimates. My heart rate has stayed up and I feel like I am burning more calories since I exercised - do you think the MFP estimate takes this into account? I went snow shoeing for 45 min and burned 262 by the HRM and MFP showed 547... That's quite a difference. I guess its good that I was only eating 1/2 of my exercise calories :bigsmile:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    My it is quiet on here today.

makeitallsue: Running by Christmas lights even sounds appealing to me. :happy:

itsbella: Great job. I wish you could run a mile for me and then I get to count the calories burned. :huh: :laugh: Hey I'm a dreamer.

paulinelaw69: Welcome. Whatever your personal goals are, I have found everyone to be such great support and very helpful on days that are just plain harder for me. I have read that the more a person posts with a support good the higher their success rate as compared to those who don't post. Good luck on your goals, this is a great place to start.

It has been a good day for calories, exercise and water intake.