women 40+ would like to share progress

Options

Replies

• itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    Debra, I do have a great out look on life...thank God! Anyhow, I weighed myself today and not one pound gone yet!! It's okay...I believe that when my body decides to catch up with all of the changes it's going thru it will give up and start losing!! Anyhow, my friend at work is going to run the race with me and another one can't believe the changes in my body! My jeans fit better! so I think inches are happening! I'm doing strength stuff too. My spirits are good still! Hopefully, my body decides to let go of this weight soon! I'm doing what I'm supposed to on my end!! hahahahah funny how I think! huh?
    BTW I'm glad you exercised for you today!

mm01 WELCOME!!!:flowerforyou:
  • snowflakes
    snowflakes Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

One pound down this week. I had a hair appointment yesterday and my stylist noticed my face is thinner. She is the second person to notice the change.

Good job you die-hard runners. I'm breathing hard from just thinking about it. hee hee(how many calories did that burn for me). I'm with pinbotchick, I have to stay indoors when it is that cool. Where my son is at college is was -21 without the wind chill factor. brrrrr.... I gave blood and they said no exercising for 24 hrs. So I took today off. We are going to the theatre tonight for a Christmas show. Love date night! I have my calories logged for dinner so that I won't go over.Have a safe weekend all.
  • itsbella
    Options
    pinbotchick, I was talking about your caloric heart rate monitor!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    pinbotchick, I was talking about your caloric heart rate monitor!

Oh my, I guess I really am a blond :blushing: Sorry that I misinterpreted the question. Unfortunately, it probably won't be the last time I screw something up... You know I was fired from the M & M factory for throwing out the ones with W :laugh:

I will try the HRM again today. The last time I used it, it was rating about 50% of the cal of the treadmill reading but I checked the time and some how it stopped recording cal. I guess it's a learning process.
  • snowflakes
    Options
    [/quote]
    You know I was fired from the M & M factory for throwing out the ones with W :laugh:
    [/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(The quote marks show on the edit post.. looks like operator difficulty on my part. :embarassed: I have no idea what I deleted that I shouldn't have) I just got on to enter my food so far today, just took a look a quike look on the post and found myself laughing.
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    So I tried the HRM again during low impact aerobics and it got to 100 calories burned and I heard a beep while flailing my arms around :noway: (okay - I am not very coordinated)... I thought it was the stove timer downstairs - had put turkey pot pie in for dinner and left DH instructions to take it out when done. It must have been the watch and I somehow put it into hold or stop mode because no further calories were burned. I didn't look at the time on DVD player when I heard the beep so don't know how far into it I was so I can't compare data. There really is a learning curve to this HRM use. I will try again tomorrow. Yes, I do admit I am a blond and can't work the HRM.
  • booboogroom
    booboogroom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on everybody's losses. That sounds BAD but you ladies know what I mean those:grumble: UGLY:grumble: pounds. My daughter is graduating from University of North Texas on the 19th. So we decided to have Christmas and Graduation together. Anyway I was going to try and clean my carpets this weekend. Couldn't do it, couldn't even vacum. I watch a friends 8 month old baby every Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, Had no idea he was SCARED:sad: and boy do I mean SCARED:sad: of the vacum. He'll go home tomarrow around 2. So I guess I'll do it then. But boy was I wanting to get it done before then.

Ladies I am cooking a Roast Turkey with cashew and apricot Stuffing, Roast Turkey with cornbread stuffing, Orange Glazed Ham, mac and cheese, mash potato, baked beans, green bean cassarole, homemade cheese cake, Baklava, Rocky Road drops, and Holiday peppermint candies. Did I mention there was going to be 40 friends and family. So yes I will be very busy this week. But I am loveing every second of it. As ya'll know everybody loves my cooking. My son always tells his friends when they come over that they are eating at Cafe La Groom.

Anyway I hope I don't blow my diet I only gained:mad: 3 lbs. during Thanksgiving after cooking for everyone. Lost that already:bigsmile: . So I hope I can stay somewhere around that after cooking this food:laugh: .
  • itsbella
    Options
    Pinbotchick, that used to happen to me...somehow my watch would stop and what was happening was that the wrist bone would hit the button and stop the watch! I then placed the watch abit higher on mywrist away from that bone and it seems to work fine.

Sooo, I guess you won't be allowed in Hearshey Park this Christmas!:laugh: That was awesomely funny!

Mrs. Groom can I come over for dinner?
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    I just had to share that I am so excited. I ran for 5 full min not once but twice at 5.0 mph on treadmill. (finished week 4, day 1 of C25K) WOW. I am still sweating. I gave up on HRM for this. I will try it with snow shoeing later today. I have been having great success with my weight loss, exercise and eating with using MFP estimates - so until I reach a plateau, I will keep following what is working. Now I am off to clean up the mess my He** Cats created by knocking the Christmas tree over :grumble:

Mrs. Groom, can I come to dinner too? My mouth is watering just thinking of all that great food. Congrats on having your daughter graduate - that's such a great accomplishment.

itsbella - I'll try putting the watch up higher - thanks for the tip.

snowflakes - that happened to me once. There is a backslash that I accidentally deleted from one of the brackets.
  • booboogroom
    Options
    Yes ya'll can come if you can make to Denton, TX:wink: . The more marryer:happy: . Well I finally got my carpets cleaned today. I'm so happy :smile: they were really needing it.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

It has been a very busy weekend and I didn't even get to log my calories but I think I did OK.

Congratulations to all for so many accomplishments...weight loss, inches lost, and miles gained! running??? Pinbot chick that is awesome! and personally if I could do it I think running under Christmas lights would rock! Maybe next year for me.

Booboo...I am doing my carpets this week, too!

About HRM...I do believe that the more you pay probably the more accurate but the thing to remember with HRM is that they only tell part of the picture. A HRM is designed to monitor your heart but not your muscles. Sooo... if you are doing an aerobic workout like running, walking, or eliptical, it will give you a good idea of how many calories you burned. But...if you are doing a more "calisthenic" work out you are not getting your heart rate up there but you are really working those muscles. The calorie count on the HRM will not be as high but it doesn't detract from the intensity of the work out or the value!!! Building muscle is our key! This is how we will enter into our 50's, 60's, and 70+ strong and healthy!!! We want to be fit women, not hunched over complaining about our arthritis etc.! Both types of work outs are sooooo important! If I do 30 minutes on the eliptical I burn about 225 calories. If I do 30 minutes of weight lifting I only burn about 100. However, without the weight training I would just be turning into a flabby mass. Osteoporosis runs in our family and I am determined to do what I can to avoid it!

Also, the heavier that you are the more calories that you will burn. When I started 30 minutes of eliptical would burn about 350 calories. HRM that have a setting for your age, weight, and height are a bit more accurate.

DD
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies....how out of touch I feel!!...our internet was down this weekend and I was un able to log...chat...check on everyone...my gosh, I just about did not survive!:laugh:

Glad to hear you are all doing well....

Pinbot chick...You Go....that's super news!

booboogroom...Yum, Yum..Yum!!!!! and great news with your daughter!:flowerforyou:

ItsBella....Pinbot, I was going to suggest the same thing...I also hit the buttons by accident and caused it to lock, then I couldn't use it...thought something was wrong, panic set in...scrambled and started pushing buttons like crazy and ended up
    re-setting...LOL My calories are coming in at about a third under, what MFP says or the elliptical, but as I said before, the heart rate has been right on and that is helping a lot!

I took a friend to lunch yesterday, my favorite mexican place...so I really need to get some tough exercise in today, and I'm also wrapping gifts....that Christmas mood is setting in:bigsmile:

At first I thought I missed the registration on the Dash in the snow, 5K under the lights, but the gal called this morning and I'm all set to go. My husband is going to run it with me and it is this Friday evening..looks the the temp will be around 32*, I think I can handle that! I want to try to beat my time. I ran a 5k in September in 30:43...so that is my goal. We'll see,
    my Christmas family parties start on Saturday and keep going! I will try to sneak on here when I can...just incase our internet gets crazy again....I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Dominque.. I hope you had the best time ever..can't wait to hear all about it!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Well! I don't know if I can keep up with all of you girls, but I did go to Yoga this morning and shovel some deep snow so I could take my garbage can roadside. So now I guess I'd better eat breakfast and do some on the elliptical before lunch! I was able to sing in the Messiah last night with 100+ other voices, and Wow was that fun! I'm going to practice more this year, so I can try out for a solo part next year..... I think that is a worthy goal to set for myself.....! Best to everyone I may have gone down one pound this past week, not weigh day yet, but at least I don't think I've gone up any! The parties are closer than a week apart, makes for a little more planning on the managing end of things! Fun and Great Workouts for everyone!!!
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! I'm back!!!

My vacations were amazing. I was on deck 5 and the breakfast buffet was on deck 14. You have to know that there is no deck 13 also. I was always in the stairs, walking a lot on the ship. I wanted to move a lot more on the islands, but my knee was not cooperating :huh: I also went to see the personal trainer on board to have a body composition test. I am very satisfied with the results. I have 25.6% of body fat and the ultimate rating is between 15 and 20%. I only need to lose between 5 and 10%. My metabolic rate is 1623 calories a day. That means that my body uses 1623 calories to function. To do some exercises, my body will burn even more calories. If I don't take enough calories during the day, my body will be in starvation mode and that is when I can become sick more easily.

My husband who thought was in better shape than I, had a wake up call. He was not able to go up the 8 decks as I could.

Tomorrow, I am seeing my orthopedist about my knee. I hope something can be done quickly. I'll tell you about it.

For now, it is time to get ready for diner and after, I will go on the Gazelle. I want to lose the 6 pounds I gained as quickly as possible!!!
  • itsbella
    Options
    Good Evening Ladies! What calcium supplement do you take?
  • booboogroom
    Options
    Missou I'm so glad :flowerforyou: you had a wonderful time. Makeitallsue I know what you mean one of our computers is down:grumble: so were all fighting to get on line. I have the watch HRM, its pretty accurate. I got it from Walmart for about $30. I need to start my workouts up again, I'm just glad I haven't gained anything. But now I have Bronchitis, :grumble: I had no idea it was Contagious in the first 24 hours. I told my son and daughter I was going to put a note on the door telling all who are sick TO STAY AWAY NO ENTRANCE:laugh: . I have a can of Lysol by the front door now:laugh: . Hell I'm tired of catching everyones crap :mad: . I just barely got over my sinus infection and now this. But I'm going to try to workout on my elliptical tonight .
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • snowflakes
    Options
    Hi gals! I too am finally having that Christmas feeling. We got dumped on over the weekend and my son is home from college. We went downhill skiing for the first time today. BLISS!

booboogroom: sorry you are not feeling well. I think a sign at your door should get the message across.:laugh: Somethings are just not meant to be shared. Top of the list is GERMS!:laugh: If you don't mind I would like to make a reservation for four. Your menu sounds terrific.:flowerforyou:

itsbella: I don't take a supplement. Mostly because I have had two bone density tests over the years as a result of tyroid issues and my bones are great.

Have a good night.:flowerforyou:
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    booboo - I feel bad for you. Bronchitis is never fun. I always seem to get it following a bad cold. Good luck with all your cooking when you don't feel well.

itbella - I don't take a special calcium supplement but often do take a daily multi vitamin that has calcium in it - the GNC women's vitamin.

missou - welcome back. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. Good luck with your ortho doc.

shariguymon - you keep up just fine. I need to do more yoga.

snowflakes - doesn't a good dumping of snow feel great. We got 2 ft in about 3 days and the world is beautiful. Another 4 inches came down today - I love the way it makes the world look fresh and clean. I saw 2 wild elk on my drive home and was wishing that I'd had my camera.

makeitallsue - I'm impressed your husband is going to run with you. I will be thinking about you Friday night. Have fun.
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!!

I don't take any calcium suppplement, but I take a lot of milk.

Booboo, I wouldn't go on the elliptical with a bronchitis if I were you. I had many when Hubby was smoking and was caughing a lot when I was doing exercises. Take it easy for a while and give your body a chance to recuperate.

I am not in the Christmas feeling. To much doctors appointments this week :grumble:

I didn't go on the Gazelle yesterday. I when out to do some snow removal and I had to go in the attick because our roof was leaking and there was water in my room :explode: This morning, my back is in real bad shape :ohwell: :cry:

I guess I won't do much exersise until Friday evening, Hubby will never be around at night until then :cry:
  • itsbella
    Options
    I don't take a calcium supplement either but a lady at work suggested it to prevent bone loss. I'm so bad with taking anything!