WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was wild. Thanksgiving dinner was okay. I had a small meal and wasn't uncomfortably stuffed afterwards. But then we had the pie. First, after buying a pumpkin pie when I bought the turkey, Mr. Mac went out and bought a SECOND one while I was on vacation. I was really pissed at him. There are only 4 people in our house and only 3 even eat pumpkin pie. Not to mention, if you are going to make two pies for Thanksgiving, wouldn't you want the second one to be a different flavor?

I adore pumpkin pie and had planned to have a piece, but with two pies sitting there, my one piece turned into three! (And we still never even touched the second pie.) I was very annoyed.

I took Mini-Mac out with me around 11:30pm to the Toys R Us. They were having their Black Friday sales starting at midnight. We bought lots of stuff for various family kids and then went to get into the ENORMOUS lines. Our line was moving pretty well but then it suddenly slowed down to a crawl. I figured out that they were talking two people for every one person in the other line (somehow two lines formed on either side of the store). They also reserved TWO cash registers for people applying for the TRU credit card. I was livid and, at one point, almost walked out of the store. I hate that particular TRU and rarely go there. Now I remember why.

It took so long that we arrived at Old Navy at 3:05. It had started to rain so it wasn't so horrible getting there once they were letting people in and I got smarter about getting in line before we were actually done this time. (Mini-Mac and I would take turns leaving the line to get more stuff.) Even so, getting in late, made us get into the line when it was REALLY long and we didn't get out of there until 5:30 am. Kohls had opened at 4am but we skipped that (got most of what we would have gotten there at TRU and ON) and went right to Target.

Because we got to Target 40 min. after they opened, there were no lines to get in and the lines to checkout had diminished.

This is my first time doing Black Friday and I think it might be my last. Yeah, I spent less than last year but I don't feel like the deals were so killer that it made up for standing in line for about 3 hours total between the 3 stores. Plus, nothing we got at the stores was part of their "doorbuster" selection so we could have waited until today to get it. Or even tomorrow. Of course, a lot of it would have sold out by then, but it wasn't anything we couldn't have gotten something else instead.

Plus, being up all night made me very hungry. So I ended up going over my calories by about 700 yesterday. I don't think it's going to show up on the scale, but I'm not happy about it.

I did get a killer deal on some Garmin Nuvis but that was online. Next year I'm only going to do the online Black Friday sales, I think.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everone,

Vicki- glad to hear you got your car keys back without any problems.

MacMadame- I don't envy you going shopping today or last night should I say. The kids and I were out and about today, but nothing like what you went through. I didn't see anything that I wanted bad enough to wait through what lines we saw.

My ticker says it all. I'm up 2 pounds from the beginning of the month. I knew it was coming and feel a renewed commitment to get back on track.

Today is day 3 of doing 60 minutes of excercise a day for the long weekend and I upped my excercise minute goal to 45 minutes a day. I was looking at excercise bikes today and other excercise equipment. Some of the prices were reasonable, but I don't think we have the space. I am beginning to think more and more that we need to join the Y.

Sounds like every one did fairly well yesterday even with the pieces of pie and special treats. I bet compared to years past we all ate less than we had in our past years.

Jeannie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good e.vening ladies,
    I am about to turn it but wanted to say Hi first. We arrived in Branson about 4 PM. Not really a bad drive but just a long one. We got settled in and bathed the girls and us and went to a nice mall on the river. We had dinner and walked a while and now are turning in. Tommorrow is a slow day except for riding Polar Express tomorrow night. We will find gym tomorrow and have a good work out. Emma needs something now so I better go. Hope to see you tomorrow.
    VickiM
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    I was last one to post last night and am first this morning. Everyone must be busy. I got up at 7 am and went to resort gym. awesome gym. had a step climber. great workout. did that and my weight and then took long way walking back to room. lots of hills here so that is good workout. I came back to watch girls and Kenneth is there now. We are taking them to indoor water park here at resort as soon as it opens. Tonight is the Polar Express train ride. I am having fun and so are they. I keep them every day at home but I forgot how much work it is to get two 3 yr olds ready to go somewhere. Takes lots of energy. If I had not lost this weight I do not know if I would be able to do this. I hope to post again later but if not have a good day. Keep up your good work.
    Vicki M
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Good Morning, Happy Saturday :bigsmile:
    We don't shop for Christmas so I ignored the stores yesterday......hubby forgot what day it was and innocently went to WalMart to buy all weather floor mats for our new car (did I tell you that we traded in the little red car and bought a sensible Ford Taurus to use for our business?) He had a huge shock when he saw the crowds of shoppers but he got his mats and three new movies. He started shampooing carpets yesterday and got up early this morning and got to work again.

There are some more craft fairs today so we'll go walk through them. One of them is connected to the farmers' market so we may be able to buy some vegetables.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie I'm glad you're back on track......every road has a few bumps and then flattens out again.......you can do it.

:flowerforyou: laniv, glad your knee is feeling better:bigsmile:

I think it's time for breakfast.......I love being in touch with all of you every day. :heart: :heart: hugs:heart::heart: Barbie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Hopefully, everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I weighed myself this morning and found that I have put on three pounds. I feel good about this as I was expecting about a five pound gain. I am going to go on a clean diet for a few days and should see the pounds leave easily.
  • Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I came home from the hospital Thursday and am mostly staying in bed.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I will have a catheter in until Sunday so I am not moving and uncomfortable but so happy to be home. :sick: :sick: To those who asked for more detail about my hysterectomy surgery I will reply privately. :embarassed: :embarassed:
    My eating is mostly liquid or soft solids. My husband cooked a lovely dinner and we had 2 close friends come over to hang out but I stayed in bed with my pets, tv, laptop and visited with them a little. My appetite is determined by my intestinal discomfort so food doesn’t seem to be all that interesting. I am sure that will change as my digestion function returns to normal but for now I am being very cautious.
    Mary- I am so happy that Suzie-Q is ok. I think that is a Thanksgiving miracle.
    I am thankful for all your posts about the ups and downs of holiday eating. This is a good warm up for next month’s food fest. I have read all the posts and will be utilizing the creative ideas to stay on track.
    For now I am focused on following directions, drinking lots of liquids:drinker: :drinker: and appreciating my :heart: :heart: lovely husband who is taking loving care of me, our pets and our home with a generous spirit and good humor.
    Grateful for lots
    Lianne
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am not the most attentive to this site. But I read all your posts as much as I can. I have decided to have happy holidays the best I can and now others around me are putting me to the test. My daughter left me a message on my cell about what a horrible mother I am. (I have chosen not to let her manipulate me this holiday and that really ticked her off). My soninlaw is depressed cause his mom's very sick. His way of dealing is being very onry.

So I am in my room with the door shut and trying to connect with all of you.

I did extremely well Thanksgiving. At least that's my analysis. I had very small amounts and mostly all veggies. I ate a couple of chocolates and the pumpkin minus the crust but with lots of whipped cream.

But I went to the Y Thanksgiving morning and an hour of the 'beast' last night.

Liane: I'm sorry you were in the hospital but glad you are home. I pray for super healing.
    Barbiecat: My car can't go a block without overheating so I am prettty stuck unless I drive Jose's car. Pray for a car miracle for me.
    Swiss Miss: The three pounds is probably all water so I'd say you did great!
    happy holidays to all of you and hears to eating healthy! kc

• Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: kc, also have a daughter that doesn't think that I can do anything right. I would get so upset and end up going off by myself to cry. I have learned to be very careful what I say to her and if she is in one of her moods then I avoid her. Please do not allow her to discourage you. Some kids like to put parents on a guilt trip. Don't know why. Unfortunately, they can make a holiday uncomfortable.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, glad that you are out of the hospital. I sent you a message.:flowerforyou:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon all, I have been a little busy and have not had a lot of time to post. :sick: My mother in-law has not been feeling well. She thought she had Bronchitis. I told her I thought she had pneumonia again. She had it in March and was in the hospital for over a week. She call me yesterday and asked me to take her to the hospital. Turns out I was right she has pneumonia on the left side. I stayed with her until they got her settled in a room. Got up this morning called to check on her, she said she was trying to nap because nurses kept her up all night giving her treatments, taking vitals, drawing blood etc.:frown: I went to the flea markets with hubby and walked around for about an hour then came home and did the Leslie Sansone 3 mile. Now shower and back to the hospital. Everyone have a joyous holiday weekend. I will check in again as soon as I can.
    Prayers for our ladies on the mend, :heart: Love (((Hugs))) and prayers for all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in:

Did pretty well thanksgiving day. I never shop on Black Friday because the saving isn't worth the crowd to me.

I made a wonderful Turkey curry soup with leftovers today. It was good good good.

Hubby & I took the dog to walk in a new park in our county. It has a dog park and we had never been to one. Hubby said it was like slumming because our fenced in back yard is actually nicer. We did like the hiking trail though and will probably go back for that. We want to do the one that goes to the lake. It was a little muddy in spots but the weather was mild today and there was practically no one there.

I'm waiting till Monday to weigh. I've been trying to be real good so I'll see what has happened. My only slip up was a piece of coconut cake at my sisters house. I just couldn't resist.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    For all of you whose scales may be up a little after Thanksgiving....I have been told that it may be water gain. So, drink a lot of water to rid your body of the excess, do not go over-board on left-overs and keep active.
  • jam0525
    Options
    Kc- I have a rotten step-daughter, so I understand what you are going through. It hurts, but it's her not you. Keep focused on you and what you need.

This is the 3rd Saturday in a row that I went swimming. My son is still sick, so it was just my daughter and I. We hope to make it a family outing as soon as everyone is well. I swam for an hour and did 15 laps at least. I kept loosing count.

In reading how my 2 pound gain might be water weight, I'm going to put the tea pot on and have a cup and push the water the rest of today and tomorrow.

I've got a pot of posole (green chili, pork, corn and onions) on the stove and it smells wonderful and is only 150 calories per cup. That means I can have a nice large bowl for dinner.

Have a nice evening.

Jeannie
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Is it the end of November, seriously? I was sick with the flu for half the month!! No fair:sad: :explode: ....

Very happy to say that I am feeling much better today and just finished a two-day course. They served nice lunches and I buckled under the pressure, sorry to say and had the desserts as well. :noway: silly me.

Hopefully get back to exercising next week. Can't wait to see that scale moving in the right direction, i.e. DOWN!! Now that I am better and going back to work, I won't be as much on MFP :ohwell: , but I will read all your posts. They are my inspiration, because I find such similarities in your stories and your struggles.

Renny
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    I gained only 1 lb from my Thanksgiving feast. Not too bad considering I had way too much whip cream on my pumpkin pie. Isnt it something how I can feel so guilty over the over indulgent that I use do so regularly. I think I have accomplished the new lifestyle change. Thanksgiving was only one day....now back to my new normal way of eating.
    Love reading all your posts...get much info from them. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
    angl:bigsmile: I finally found those smiley faces:laugh: :love: :smooched: :wink:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I went out again today. I found the Nerf guns I couldn't find yesterday. They were on the top shelf so I didn't see them! :laugh:

I still can't find the Beatles box set that dh wants or a nice set of tea things for my mom. I think I will end up ordering those online.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I gained around 3lbs. from Thursday to Friday...now I am down two again! It must be the water weight.:drinker: I decided not to worry and enjoyed being with my boys. I didn't have seconds and did some exercise on Thanksgiving Day. We had company the night before and relaxed most of the day. My son went back to school so No More desserts (every night)! :bigsmile: I feel very blessed to have my family and new friends on MFP. Thanks for keeping us motivated.
  • jam0525
    Options
    I, too, went up 2 lbs and now down 1 lb today. So, it's lots of tea and water for me today to see what my next checkin shows.

So far I have made my Thanksgiving weekend goal of excercising 60 minutes a day instead of my usual 30. Just today to go. I may have overdone it though as I have sore muscles. I will push it through today and maybe take tomorrow off from excercising all together.

Have a great day,

Jeannie

PS: Good luck on checkins this week!
  • kay50
    kay50 Posts: 9
    Options
    Would like to join in>>been off and on this site since Sept and thinking it is time to get serious. Updated things and ready to go! Tomorrow is Dec. 1st and even though this may not be the best time of year, need to start somewhere!
    What are some of the things you post or goals that you all have set for yourself??:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Would like to join in>>been off and on this site since Sept and thinking it is time to get serious. Updated things and ready to go! Tomorrow is Dec. 1st and even though this may not be the best time of year, need to start somewhere!
    What are some of the things you post or goals that you all have set for yourself??:flowerforyou:

Welcome, Kay :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    This is a great thread for motivation, support and friendship. You can start this journey any time, the sooner the better. When I started I set a monthly weight loss goal but kept it modest and achievable. I also set behavior goals
    things to do like drink a certain amount of water each day,do certain exercises, walk a certain number of steps, and maintain a positive attitude, Planning meals ahead of time and logging them on my food diary on MFP helped me keep myself accountable and avoided big calorie surprises. If you read our posts every day and some other stuff on MFP you'll get good ideas for goals, learn more about healthy eating and exercise, and hear thoughts that you can carry with you to keep you motivated.

Just take it one day at a time. You can do this. :bigsmile:
    Barbie