WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I didn't get an official workout today but I did clean my son's room all day! My oldest son will be coming home from college for the week. I am going to have to be very careful this week. We tend to eat bigger meals (and dessert) when he is home. I am going to practice portion control...easier said than done. I got up really early today and watched The Biggest Loser (DVR). I do have to say it motivated me to watch what I ate today.:smile: Barbie, great news about your husband. I am going shopping on Monday...can't wait to buy some Shapeups! I use to wear Dr. Scholl's sandals as a teenager...I did have long, lean legs then. Oh to be young again!:tongue: Have a great Sunday!We'll be driving down to Sacramento Airport to pick up my son. Its been three months...he actually seems happy to be coming home.:heart:
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    :happy: The scale is finally starting to move!
    My cure for evening snacking:
    I've purchased a number of sweet, soothing teas - cinnamon apple, chai, Roastaroma. I make a big pot of tea, add some sweetener and a bit of skim milk, and I sip it all evening. This satisfies my sweettooth, with only a minimum of calories (1/4 cup of skim milk, 20 calories).

:ohwell: I haven't been exercising this week. I have tendinitis in my knee. I think I was overdoing it with cycling. Does anyone have any suggestions for exercise that does not put stress on the knees?
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I can't believe the number of posts since the last time I checked. It continues to amaze me how we all keep up with it.

Taking 4 teenage girls to see New Moon last night was as loud as I thought it would be. My head is still ringing from all the screaming and gigling. The whole theater was like that, not just my group. Screams of joy as their favorite actors took the screen for the first, second, third,......100th time.

Congratz to all who lost weight, made good decisions and stayed on track.

YOU CAN DO IT! To those of us who are struggling. Hang in there. Things will get better and if not, you will learn to handle them better.

My prayers to everyone facing health issues and struggling with ill family members.

I managed to stay within my calories despite the fact that we ate out for lunch and dinner. I wish I could say I made good choices. My saving grace was that I did stop when I was full and left almost half of what I ordered for each meal. Unfortunately, neither was a dish that would have done well to take and save for lunch this week.

Off to do the housework I managed to put off yesterday.

JAM
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Jam, I think that I will wait for New Moon to be released on CD. Can't imagine enjoying the movie with all the screaming:frown:

:flowerforyou: Laniv, I also have tendinitis in my knees. My left one is the worse. I wear a band while I am at work due to all the stairs and walking that I do. I have joined a strength class to see if that will help. I have been told that if I build up my leg muscles that the tendinitis should be relieved.

:flowerforyou: Eava57, I think that cleaning your son's room probably gave you a good workout.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, yesterday, I noticed that we have a shoe store here that sells the Sketcher's Shapeups. I am planning on trying them soon. They come in a dark color that I could wear to work.
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Hello All;

I have been lurking again. Can't tell you how much I enjoy starting my day by reading all your helpful posts. Such great tips and positive inspiration, which we surely can all use in our day. Welcome to all the new members, you will find this a great thread populated by outstanding women.

My stitches are out and I hope to be back to eating real food by Thanksgiving. I don't know if I have lost weight because it varies so much every day, I do know my size 12 pants are loose, my size 14 jeans are hanging like hip huggers. Yaaa.......hooooo!
    I can not wait to get back to my full workouts and see what else will move.

A beautiful sunny and warm Sunday here in Wisconsin. What a blessing. I did not work today, so was able to enjoy time with my church family as well.

Prayers for those in need, and thank you all!! Alice
    Happy Day! Alice
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Good evening to all,
    Im hanging on to the same loss to 162... As long as I dont backslide Im good with it.
    suezzzque....... I have seen those shape ups by sketchers. I have sketcher tennis shoes and love them. Let me know how you like the shape ups. Are they ok to wear all the time?

barbicat....you know what got me to get my weight loss going is I need to go for a hysterectomy on Dec. 30 and ovaries too. Since I am losing my ovaries I will be at a higher risk for heart disease and osteoporosis. I figured being at a healthy weight will help lower the heart disease risk and working out will lower the risk of osteoporosis. Also wanted to go into the surgery at a healthier weight. Wasnt happy about the long wait before the surgery but have been making good use of the time.

Girlfriends we must take care of our bodies as our health cannot be taken for granted as we age.

laniv.......Tea is great for the sweet tooth as I like mine with splenda. When I am craving something sweet I have a good hot cup of sweet tea. It works every time.

angl:bigsmile:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Well I had a good Sunday. Kenneth and I started our day at gym. Had a good workout. Came home, showered, went to breakfast. Came back and he rested while I did some stuff to get ready for trip. Then we had lunch then more trip preparations. Had a salad for lunch and saved half for supper. stayed right at my 1200 for the day and feel really good about it. I will not weigh until thursday morning. I do better that way. I hope all of you are having a good day. To those with week off enjoy. For others try to enjoy your work. See you tomorrow.
    Vicki M:love:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    wow, it's lunchtime in NW Washington and I'm the first one to post today......is everybody off to somewhere with no internet access:laugh:

My line dance class is planning to do a dance performance at five assisted living places in town. In years past we wore black pants and white blouses with a sleeve garter and neck scarf. last year I had to lie down to zip my size 16 pants. This year we chose to wear Christmas themed or colored outfits. I, of course, had nothing to wear. On a whim I decided to check out the thrift stores and found red corduroy jeans (size 6) in one place and a red turtleneck shirt and a darling Christmas decorated vest (size small) in another one. The whole outfit cost about 23 dollars.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Hubby is on his way home. He's in the airport in Seattle now waiting for the shuttle to pick him up for the 2 hour drive to get him home. He had such a great time at the training that he wants us both to go back next year. They gave him a certificate to pay his way next year because he had to miss part of it this year.

Lunch first, then I'll take the dogs to the dog park.
    hugs,:heart::heart: :heart: Barbie
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Barbiecat - That is just so awesome about the clothes. You are so tiny. What a difference a year can make. Good for you:flowerforyou: Glad hubby is okay and on his way home to you.

Heather
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat;

So glad to hear you husband is OK. I had a similar scare last year when a Doctor misdiagnosed my husbands heart activity and called to tell me that he was sending my husband to a cardiac unit by ambulance, because his aorta was ballooning. Raced to the cardiology department, an hour and a half away to find my husband; thankfully was fine. He did have elevated blood pressure from the stress, but that quickly went down.
    Congratulations on size 6!:flowerforyou: Down ten in one year.

Alice
  • vickim26
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    Barbie WOW! WOW!WOW! A size 6 from a 16. That inspires me so much. I set my goal at 150 cause I did not want to set myself up for failure. I figured at my age that I could not get down much lower than that. But seeing you and these other ladies do what you do I know I can get at my best possible weight. How long has it been since you started this program? I know you have probably told me that before but I forget.
    Yes I have had a very busy day. This is the first time all day that I have had a chance to sit and read and respond. We ran errands all day. I began bringing my daughter to bring her hubby's truck to mechanic. then I drove her to work. Then hubby and I ran some errands to wait around to see if truck would be ready. We did not want to come all the way home. It is about 20 miles away. We had lunch with her and then brought her to get truck. The minute we got home Kenneth's boss called and he had to go into work. Since he was on days off he did not have company truck, so I had to go bring him right back where we had come from about 30 min. away. ON the way home I stopped off and bought my Christmas Tree at Home Depot. I then got home and did some church stuff and checked emails. I just ate supper so decided to log my food for tonight. Oh I forgot we did start off the morning with a workout. At least we go that in. He is still at work so I am trying to catch up and get some things done for trip. I know you are glad Jake is coming home. Well hopefully tomorrow is quieter. Hope the rest of you are having a good day.
    Vicki m
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I'm having display issues with the "new design", so I may not be posting until I can figure out how to get it to work with my pc.:sad: It's giving me a headache.
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I actually lost a lb. this week. I have been stressed and thought I was going to gain. We were on the road yesterday...My husband and I split an entree (that was a first)! You are all so inspiring!:smile:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    It is late so everyone's probably in bed. I finally got the kids to bed and the kitchen clean.

I went to Red Loster for my Bday and then to see A Christmas Carol and ate popcorn.
    I figure, I swear I must have consumed a 1/2 pd of butter. Then I have had diarrhea all today. So seriously, do you think it kept it from hitting my rear?

I pray so. I am back on track and you know what? I'm not letting it get me down. I am going to eat right and at thanksgiving dinner, even though my family is the most . . . blah, blah, blah. And my mom is gone now 8 years and my brother 8 months. Ouch!

I won't say it. But it's enough to make me eat another pound of butter. But I'm not gonna. I am going to have one spoon of everything. In fact!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna bring my own tablespoon. I'm gonna pray over that spoon and ask God to help me use it to my health. I will not eat anything that doesn't go on a plate first! I will not do unmindful eating.

There, maybe I won't lose, maybe I'll even put on a pound or two. But it wont' be for going insane and mindlessly eating my emotions away. My life is about doing, playing, running, walking, biking, hugging, working, caring, sharing and loving. It is not about me and how much I can fill myself.

I am going to think about maybe what I can say or do for others and be thankful that I can. There, I feel better. God bless each of you and maybe we can hang out and sing our victories Thursday night. kc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Here's something I read earlier today, "Most people are concerned about what they eat between Christmas and New Year when what they should be concerned about is what they eat between New Year and Christmas"

We have all been concerned about our eating every day
    that's what is going to sustain us through the holidays
    all the good habits attitudes and behaviors that we've been acquiring all along.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good advice Barbie. Lucky for us, we are a little short on money this year so we will not so many fattening side dishes.

We will have a meal at our house with my three daughters and my husband's two kids. After that we are driving two hours away to spend a couple of days with my son.
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I didn't post yesterday just because. I faced the scale yesterday and thought I was going to be looking at bad numbers but lo and behold I was down half a pound. That made me pretty happy since I thought I had been messing up so badly. That's not to say I am just satisfied with myself because I could have been down a couple of pounds by now if I had been diligent.

With that said I have planned out our Thanksgiving dinner and since it is going to be just my family (4 of us) I am fixing much smaller dishes of everything. I watched the Drs yesterday & they said the average Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings can be as much as 3500 calories!

So KC I think taking your own tablespoon to Thanksgiving dinner is a great idea. We have got to think in much smaller portion sizes!

Please pray for my brother and wife today (Peter & Helen). He takes her to the Dr. today and they will be discussing if she should continue treatments or if it is time to stop & call in Hospice. It breaks my heart but I know she is tired and in pain from her cancer.

Well time to get MIL up for the day. Errands to run and I want to get started on the things I can make ahead of time for Thanksgiving.

Have a good day and make good choices!

Cindy
  • vickim26
    Options
    good Morning ladies,
    Hubby bowed out of gym but I got up with him and went by myself. So glad I did. I have another busy day planned. Need to get packing done, some last minute shopping. Clean house, start putting Christmas deco up so it will be done when I get back. For those of you who dont know me Christmas is my time of year. I LOVE it. I LOVE to decorate, bake, shop, go see lights, sing whatever. It seems like such a great time of year to me. I got my tree last night and will put up and decorate tonight. Anyway I am tired thinking of all of it. Talk to you later.
    Vicki M
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Congrats to you Eava on another 1 lb loss. Sometimes stress is a good thing. I think it makes us burn more calories.
    I too am down another 1 lb. Going to have to make another 10 lb goal soon.
    Sounds like everyone is busy with the Holiday cheer.
    Remember to make healthy choices and enjoy the day. Pumpkin pie is a healthy choice if you omit the crust and whip cream. Sound boring but its the TRUTH!!
    Good Day to all
    angl:bigsmile:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    SuzyQ....... I have seen those shape ups by sketchers. I have sketcher tennis shoes and love them. Let me know how you like the shape ups. Are they ok to wear all the time?

According to the instructional pamphlet you begin wearing Shapeups an hour at a time and build until you can wear them all the time. I wore mine all day Saturday with no problems. They ARE clunkier looking than regular tennis shoes, but I'm loving mine. In fact I'm about to lace them on and head to WalMart.

I'm excited to report the scale is still moving the proper direction at my house. I'm down another 2 pounds since last week which puts me exceeding my November goals. Now if I can just keep it off over the weekend, I'll be so thrilled! Only 21 more pounds to go! :laugh: My Thanksgiving and Christmas meal strategy is planning ahead by cutting my daily calorie intake by 100 each day so I have a 500 calorie surplus to work with on those family feast days.

As for holiday plans, we will leave tomorrow and drive 6 hours to meet our daughter and her boyfriend at his parent's home for Thanksgiving. It will be the first time both families meet. (Can't help but wonder if her young man has something up his sleeve....) I haven't seen her since July 4th. It will also be the first time since I was old enough to reach the stove that I've not cooked a single thing for Thanksgiving. :noway: I'm hoping this change of scenery will help me enjoy my second Thanksgiving without my parents.

Doubt I'll have a chance to get online while we are gone so I'm wishing you all HAPPY THANKSGIVING now. I'm determined to keep my focus on being thankful ~ not food! I can already think of something to be thankful for.... since we're not having the meal at our house I'll have no opportunity to graze as I cook, or leftovers to tempt me to overindulge later.