benefits of intermitten fasting for bodybuilding

Options
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting for Bodybuilding

A good number of bodybuilders shun away from the idea of intermittent fasting. Bodybuilders are lead to believe that you need continuous intake of nutrients and protein to prevent the body from breaking down muscles to be converted to energy. This may be true at some point, but not entirely.

Most bodybuilders consume large amounts of meat and dairy products. The idea is that protein helps in the development of the muscles. However, all that protein that you are consuming can build up toxins in your body. Studies have even shown that intestinal toxins and garbage can weight as much as 20 pounds.

So how do you get rid of these toxins and gunk? The solution is simple. Use intermittent fasting to flush out the toxins that are already in your body.

Fasting is generally defined as abstaining from food for a certain period of time. If you have difficulty of accepting that idea, then you can start fasting by abstaining from hard and solid foods. During the time you are fasting, there are certain metabolic changes your body will go through. Because of this changes, this will in turn help the body greatly in cleansing itself from all those accumulated toxins in your body.

When you fast during bodybuilding you will also be able to enjoy the benefit of increased metabolism. By having increased metabolism you will have the ability to maintain a very lean physique. This will be very vital when going through a bodybuilding regimen. When you have a fast metabolism you will be able to get better results and make more progress as well.

Another thing worth mentioning is that fasting would jump start the healing process in your body. If you time your fasting at right time and intervals, you can let your muscles heal and develop faster as the fasting puts the healing process into overdrive.

Another benefit of fasting is that you will be able to lose fat. By losing fat you will get healthier and have more physical benefits such as more quickness, stamina and flexibility.

Fasting will also maximize the absorption of all of the protein and nutrients you take in after the fast.

Intermittent fasting can be very helpful in bodybuilding to a considerable extent. With the use of fasting you will have a great chance at succeeding in bodybuilding and achieving the best possible results.

Replies

• kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't need to flush out anything. I don't have a gallbladder LOL. I flush just fine. HAHAHA
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    Lmaol your right about that
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hey, good thread. I started doing IF last week but my goals are more powerlifting oriented, although I'm still working on body re-composition.

I workout first thing in the morning and eat my first meal right after and I have noticed how ridiculously good I feel after I mow-down 1,000 calories. I've lost 6lbs already and I'm feeling pretty good. It's a little rough before I go to bed but all-in-all it's not bad.

I'd love to hear about anybody else's experiences on this.
  • kiachu
    Options
    I might experiment with it after my next show. I'm gonna take some time of, maintain, and go into another mass phase. But I sure do love to eat.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I might experiment with it after my next show. I'm gonna take some time of, maintain, and go into another mass phase. But I sure do love to eat.

What would be awesome is to do IF while on a mass phase. I think it would actually be really hard. I calculated what I would need to go through a mass phase and it's 4,500 calories. That's a lot of food to eat in 8-hours, especially when you have to work. :D
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Should you skip your workout while fasting?
  • kiachu
    Options

What would be awesome is to do IF while on a mass phase. I think it would actually be really hard. I calculated what I would need to go through a mass phase and it's 4,500 calories. That's a lot of food to eat in 8-hours, especially when you have to work. :D

I couldnt do it. I'd puke lol. Only if I was eating some crap food. Then Id still puke.
  • billyh333
    Options
    hey thanks when you talk about if people start talking crap but its the best thing i have ever done lots of energy I was stuck at 138 lbs and in 8 days i am now 130 I am 5'7 and not skinny body fat is about 7 percent and I think you are on the same page as me
    Hey, good thread. I started doing IF last week but my goals are more powerlifting oriented, although I'm still working on body re-composition.

I workout first thing in the morning and eat my first meal right after and I have noticed how ridiculously good I feel after I mow-down 1,000 calories. I've lost 6lbs already and I'm feeling pretty good. It's a little rough before I go to bed but all-in-all it's not bad.

I'd love to hear about anybody else's experiences on this.
  • JNick77
    Options

It depends on when you lift and where it falls in your eating / fasting window. Berkhan and Berardi both recommend that if you workout in the early morning after you wake-up that you should train fasted, no food. You can take BCAA's though which helps a ton. Then my eating window opens basically a little bit after I get home. I actually take a quick dose of BCAA's when I get back shower, get dressed for work, and then come down and eat, basically 30-minutes after I get back from the gym.
    I couldnt do it. I'd puke lol. Only if I was eating some crap food. Then Id still puke

I've actually always had digestion issues myself and recently I started taking HCL with Betanine prior to eating my first and second meal. I did have one week of IF without it and that first meal was not very good on my stomach.
  • jawheb
    Options
    So how long of a fasting are we talking about here?
  • JNick77
    Options
    So how long of a fasting are we talking about here?

16-hours which would include the time you sleep. So if you sleep for 8-hours a night then you're only really fasting, awake at least, for 8 hours.

Good info for you right here:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

I find Dr. Berardi's write-up a little easier to read but I believe the other guy is the originator.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

It depends on when you lift and where it falls in your eating / fasting window. Berkhan and Berardi both recommend that if you workout in the early morning after you wake-up that you should train fasted, no food. You can take BCAA's though which helps a ton. Then my eating window opens basically a little bit after I get home. I actually take a quick dose of BCAA's when I get back shower, get dressed for work, and then come down and eat, basically 30-minutes after I get back from the gym.

I realize this is a bodybuilding thread, but I just thought I'd chime in on this point anyway. I alternate endurance training and weight lifting, and wholly agree with JNick's response for lifting. It's been a little trickier to do endurance work with IF, but I've got a fairly decent schedule that works for me now. I can't run 10 miles fasted, and I think it would be a terrible idea to try. So, I eat my first meal (2 or 3pm) and then work out in the evening (6pm-ish). After my workout/run I do a protein shake right away, shower, and then POWER EAT dinner. It's pretty awesome actually. Just wanted to point out that endurance training can be done on IF, it just takes a little planning to get the nutrition right. (Sidenote- I know there's no real need to do the protein shake right after my workout, but I'm a creature of habit, and I started doing that a long time ago)
  • JNick77
    Options

I realize this is a bodybuilding thread, but I just thought I'd chime in on this point anyway. I alternate endurance training and weight lifting, and wholly agree with JNick's response for lifting. It's been a little trickier to do endurance work with IF, but I've got a fairly decent schedule that works for me now. I can't run 10 miles fasted, and I think it would be a terrible idea to try. So, I eat my first meal (2 or 3pm) and then work out in the evening (6pm-ish). After my workout/run I do a protein shake right away, shower, and then POWER EAT dinner. It's pretty awesome actually. Just wanted to point out that endurance training can be done on IF, it just takes a little planning to get the nutrition right. (Sidenote- I know there's no real need to do the protein shake right after my workout, but I'm a creature of habit, and I started doing that a long time ago)

I couldn't run 10-mile well-fed... LOL. I can get in a good lifting session and 20 to 30 minutes on the stair-mill pretty well fasted. I couldn't see doing a marathon run fasted. Maybe you could with enough BCAA's but it doesn't seem like a great idea. :D
  • billyh333
    Options
    Intermittent fasting lean muscle gain dieting is becoming very popular with natural trainees wanting to build muscle while limiting fat gain, something that’s usually very difficult!

An IF bulk could be the way to get the job done and force your body to use the excess calories for building slabs of lean muscle rather than laying down fat.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I couldn't run 10-mile well-fed... LOL. I can get in a good lifting session and 20 to 30 minutes on the stair-mill pretty well fasted. I couldn't see doing a marathon run fasted. Maybe you could with enough BCAA's but it doesn't seem like a great idea. :D

Yeah, it's not something I want to try, even with unlimited BCAAs- I see that attempt ending with falling off a treadmill or passed out in some cemetery somewhere, lol. Carbs are pretty much a requirement at that point.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Ok one more thing. How often should you do this? Once a month? Every other month? Should I be telling my trainer that I'm doing this?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting lean muscle gain dieting is becoming very popular with natural trainees wanting to build muscle while limiting fat gain, something that’s usually very difficult!

An IF bulk could be the way to get the job done and force your body to use the excess calories for building slabs of lean muscle rather than laying down fat.

In this article I’ll explain exactly how to set up your Intermittent Fasting lean muscle gain diet and show you exactly how you should be eating for lean muscle gains!

Dude why are you just copying and pasting this stuff like its your own? Site your sources so people can decide for themselves how valid the info is.

http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/bodybuilding-and-fasting.html

http://www.free-workout-plans-for-busy-people.com/intermittent-fasting-lean-muscle-gain.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

In this article I’ll explain exactly how to set up your Intermittent Fasting lean muscle gain diet and show you exactly how you should be eating for lean muscle gains!

Dude why are you just copying and pasting this stuff like its your own? Site your sources so people can decide for themselves how valid the info is.

http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/bodybuilding-and-fasting.html

http://www.free-workout-plans-for-busy-people.com/intermittent-fasting-lean-muscle-gain.html

Thank you. I was just going to request where this was from as it was obviously a copy paste job and there are some benefits alleged that I just do not think have been proven, so would love to find the sources to check out the claims.

Note: I am in no way anti-IF, but if benefits (other than personal preference) are going to be claimed, the sources for those benefits should be explained.

Edited to fix typos
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Problem with most bodybuilders is that they have routines that have been proven to work over time. Is hard to shun away from something that works. I read some of the information and it sounds interesting.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am technically doing IF because it fits my lifestyle and personal preference. I eat dinner around 6-7pm and dont normally eat "breakfast" until around noon the next day. Just never was a breakfast eater. When I first started weightlifting I did the 6 small meals a day like all the conventional wisdom told me I was supposed to. When I found out that meal timing is basically irrelevant I switched to a more flexible schedule. So far I have not noticed any difference in weight loss, or muscle gain between the two methods.

I go hiking all the time and most of the time I start out without eating. Within a short while I am spent and need to stop and eat. I still have lots of stored fat that my body could use so this leads me to believe that fasted workouts are probably NOT using "fat" for an energy source but some other form of stored energy that is quickly depleted.

I am not anti IF by any means but this fanboy cult following that has popped up is disturbing.