benefits of intermitten fasting for bodybuilding

Options

Replies

• jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am technically doing IF because it fits my lifestyle and personal preference. I eat dinner around 6-7pm and dont normally eat "breakfast" until around noon the next day. Just never was a breakfast eater. When I first started weightlifting I did the 6 small meals a day like all the conventional wisdom told me I was supposed to. When I found out that meal timing is basically irrelevant I switched to a more flexible schedule. So far I have not notice any difference in weight loss, or muscle gain between the two methods.

I go hiking all the time and most of the time I start out without eating. Within a short while I am spent and need to stop and eat. I still have lots of stored fat that my body could use so this leads me to believe that fasted workouts are probably NOT using "fat" for an energy source but some other form of stored energy that is quickly depleted.

I am not anti IF by any means but this fanboy cult following that has popped up is disturbing.

Yeah, I just wanted some more info about it. I'm actually talking to my trainer right now getting his opinion about this.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I am not doing fasted workouts though. I workout in the afternoon after two meals so that could be the reason I dont see any difference. That makes me wonder, if there is a noticeable difference, is it from the IF or is it from the fasted workouts. You would not necessarily need to do both.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Reply from my guy:

I don't, but I've seen scientific studies that say its benifitual. For what your trying to accomplish Jenn, building muscle, losing fat, get lean ripped athletic strong feminine and sexy, I say stick with eating 6 meals a day, every 3 hours, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, and mix in 2 meal replacement protein shakes!  Intermediate fasting calls for you not to eat for 24 hours!  Not good for building muscle!  

I have to admit I do not do the Shakes. I prefer natural foods.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Reply from my guy:

I don't, but I've seen scientific studies that say its benifitual. For what your trying to accomplish Jenn, building muscle, losing fat, get lean ripped athletic strong feminine and sexy, I say stick with eating 6 meals a day, every 3 hours, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, and mix in 2 meal replacement protein shakes!  Intermediate fasting calls for you not to eat for 24 hours!  Not good for building muscle!  

I have to admit I do not do the Shakes. I prefer natural foods.

Yea the shakes are not necessary if you can get your protein goal with your normal diet. Personally I like the chocolate one I have in the morning and it makes it easy to meet my protein goal and stay within calories for the day.
  • jawheb
    Options
    Yeah I'm good then. Thanks muscleman :)
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am not anti IF by any means but this fanboy cult following that has popped up is disturbing.
    Haters gonna hate. :laugh:

OP - ain't tellin no lies.

Rule # 7: Get advice only from those who actively do Intermittent Fasting.

I'm on week 3 and do a combination range of lean gains 16 x 8 to warrior 20 x 4. I train fasted everyday. Took my body the first 2 weeks to get adjusted and now I'm in high gear.

Getting ripped while building all kinds of muscle gains.

byrmq.gif
  • whiskeycharged
    Options
    Intermediate fasting calls for you not to eat for 24 hours!

dwight-meme-generator-false-that-s-a-completely-ridiculous-statement-cec7e6.jpg

See previous post rule # 7.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I'm on week 3 and do a combination range of lean gains 16 x 8 to warrior 20 x 4. I train fasted everyday. Took my body the first 2 weeks to get adjusted and now I'm in high gear.

You're getting ripped and building all kinds of muscle gains the first week you're adjusted to the diet? Impressive. :laugh:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eh is it just me or does every other thread in this forum turn to bullish*t.
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    Intermittent fasting does not require not eating for 24hrs you work your way up you can fast 12 hrs and then climb up to 16 hrs and it don't have to even be 16hrs
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You're getting ripped and building all kinds of muscle gains the first week you're adjusted to the diet? Impressive. :laugh:

Well, the quote in the poster's profile is:

"BroScience Certified"
  • whiskeycharged
    Options

Ok IF is not a diet. & to answer your question, YEAH BUDDY.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I see you went to charm school also! That's where I learned to say "impressive" where before I used to say BS. :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Ok IF is not a diet. & to answer your question, YEAH BUDDY.

*snort*
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

So you want people to take advice from someone who got all their education from youtube and has been doing it for 3 weeks and believes he is already seeing "all kinds of gains"?

Shaking_head.gif
  • whiskeycharged
    Options
    So you want people to take advice from someone who got all their education from youtube and has been doing it for 3 weeks and believes he is already seeing "all kinds of gains"?
    I did not write the original post, I agreed with it. Then I wrote about my experience with IF.

I would rather take advice from a few old ladies who know nothing about IF and nothing about bodybuilding. Thanks.

8zXCq.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I did not write the original post, I agreed with it. Then I wrote about my experience with IF.

I would rather take advice from a few old ladies who know nothing about IF and nothing about bodybuilding. Thanks.

8zXCq.gif

Which old ladies are you referring to?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Shaking_head.gif

Truth in advertising. He does say "Broscience Certified" on his profile.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I see you went to charm school also! That's where I learned to say "impressive" where before I used to say BS. :laugh:
    LOL!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Buddy, if you're talking about me, I will happily compete in a knowledge bowl against you any day. I wouldn't say I'm an IF expert, but I have about 4 months on you, which is how I know your claims are far fetched. And, I am old, but I'm pretty sure we were in diapers at the same time.