Any good substitutes for ice cream cravings????

Options

Replies

• legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do so many of these things! A quick, no-work-at-all sub for me is just frozen berries with some truvia and cool whip on top. but getting out that blender and throwing in some frozen bananas, sugar free syrup and/or cocoa is pretty amazing
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    My frozen bananas with frozen strawberries, cherries, blueberries and pineapple every was frozen. I also 1/4 cup of milk to add creamyness. And it's yummy as heck

20120903_193314.jpg
  • On the hungry girl website i saw a pretty good idea.

take two chocolate chocolate chip vita muffins [they're really good!] and put some fat free [or light] cool whip between them and some sliced bananas and freeze. I haven't tried it yet, but i'm going to. Sounds fabulous.

And since i'm a peanut butter freak, i'll probably add peanut butter to it as well. If you measure it out, you can fit it into the days calories easily.
  • rach41413
    rach41413 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love the banana "ice cream" or the Skinny Cow treats when I want to feel better about my choices, but really...one banana is around 100 calories. If you're adding in other flavoring, like PB2 or cocoa powder, the calorie count goes up even more. The Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are 150 calories. A half cup of ice cream is usually about 150 calories. It seems much easier to me to just eat the 1/2 cup of ice cream and call it good!
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use one snack pack of pudding (any of the non-fat, sugar free varieties) and throw in a couple handfuls of frozen fruit. Blend in my Magic Bullet. It'll be about 110 calories depending on which type of pudding and fruit you use. Yummy!
  • cyniatang
    Options
    1 cup of Stoneyfarms Low fat Vanilla Yogurt, frozen for about 2 hours in a glass bowl. If you want to make more than one serving that's fine but if you don't eat it right within a day or 2 I find that it over freezes and though it takes the same, it won't feel right like almost to much ice. You can add chopped bananas or like me fresh raspberries. Hmmm! :love:
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sounds deelish! Where do you buy the PB2? I never heard of it but it sounds good!
  • nanny02360
    Options
    WEIGHT WATCHERS CHOCOLATE FUDGE BAR 100 CAL...YUMMY
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Frozen cool whip

For ice cream sandwiches, frozen cool whip between 2 chocolate graham crackers

This! I love love this! I make strawberry short cake with sugar free angel food cake and strawberries with lite or fat free cool whip!
  • shquig
    shquig Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been known to cut a rice cake in half (or not), put a good size amount of frozen cool whip in between and freeze it. I make it for my daughter and she loves it. It's not exactly eating clean but we only do it once in a while.
  • LaSutopia
    LaSutopia Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    why substitute it with anything? if you stick to the 1/2 cup serving size you should easily be able to fit it into your goals :)

you are a super hero if you can stick to 1/2 cup of icecream....personally I think that is a waste of time and cals to only have 1/2 a cup, my craving is not satisfied and i just ate a lot of calories.....I like the cool whip idea, or yogurt, and Im going to have to try the banana idea....but isnt a banana around 100 calories anyway? not much difference huh?
  • buffyfan76
    buffyfan76 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of So Delicious Coconut milk ice cream. Soy and dairy free and lower cal & fat than regular ice cream. But still tastes like ice cream!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the entire thread so someone may have mentioned this but have you tried frozen banana shakes? I add protein to mine as personal preference. Take 1/2 frozen banana and 1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever type you prefer) and blend well. The consistency is that of a thick shake or soft mushy ice cream. Its so good, low in calories and satisfying.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    why substitute it with anything? if you stick to the 1/2 cup serving size you should easily be able to fit it into your goals :)

you are a super hero if you can stick to 1/2 cup of icecream....personally I think that is a waste of time and cals to only have 1/2 a cup, my craving is not satisfied and i just ate a lot of calories.....I like the cool whip idea, or yogurt, and Im going to have to try the banana idea....but isnt a banana around 100 calories anyway? not much difference huh?

Yeah I skip the banana and make homemade super thick shakes with

1 scoop whey protein
    1/4 cup non fat greek yogurt
    3-4 tbsps Splenda (or stevia)
    1/2 cup of any berry fruit
    1 cup ice
    1 cup water or add vanilla syrup and lose some water

blend well you can put in the freezer for a couple minutes to 'set' more but as is it is just like soft serve

you can do this with cocoa powder and use cold coffee instead of water for a mocha ice yum yum
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you like bananas, you are going to LOVE this one. Cut up a banana in 2" slices. Freeze in a zip-lock bag. Put in a cuisinart and blend until it balls up and is a creamy texture. You can add 1 Tbs cocoa powder if you like, or I get this stuff called PB2 (peanut butter powder) and put 1 tsp of that in too. It has the same texture as ice cream. You would not know it is NOT ice cream. Delicious. You can try a blender, but my blender does not get it the right consistency. Let me know what you think!

This sounds wonderful. I think I'll add both the cocoa powder and the PB2. Get some chocolate in my peanut butter.
  • cyniatang
    Options
    1 cup of Stoneyfield Low Fat Vanilla yogurt in a glass cup and frozen for no more than 2 hours or when it's quite frozen but not rock hard. You can make more servings to share but the yogurt will overfreeze if left too long and though it will still taste good it wont have the right consistency. Also, you can add chopped fruit like banana or strawberries or my favorite, fresh raspberries. Now you can eat it when your kids and hubby pig out on ice cream like mine do! :love:
  • alisonmaynard70
    alisonmaynard70 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you take Lite Cool Whip and add the dry SF jello to it, mix it up and freeze it (whatever flavor is your fave) it is so close you won't miss the real thing. Low cal, low fat, and OH so yummy.

My faves: SF strawberry jello and cut up fresh strawberries in it before you freeze; SF orange jello and take mandarin oranges (in own juice or rinsed if in syrup); SF lime jello and add pineapple tidbits. All mixed in Lite or FF Cool Whip for a frozen tasty treat!
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Now I want icecream, why did you post this? And I was doing so well!!! Its a good thing I didin't buy any. LOL
  • abom411
    Options
    Maybe you can try some Quaker Chips. they are so good. when i want some sweets i can get some quaker chips :tongue: :glasses:
  • liketheseaa
    Options
    YES!
    Chop up a banana and stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
    Throw in a blender and TAH-DAH! Banana ice cream.
    It has the same consistency and texture too.

Agreed! Add some peanut butter and YUMMM!